1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF STEELERS GO FOR FIELDS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I don’t disagree with that. Either way plan to pay, or hope to pay.

If KP comes on like gang busters under Arthur Smith and the Steelers look like an actual offense again, expect KP to get a payday.

If Fields comes on board and he balls out, expect Fields to get a payday.

If nobody balls out, is the other and worst option. I’m hoping somebody gets a big contract.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    A terrible one, but we all knew the risk of signing someone that hadn't played in 2 years. Fields isn't the caliber player that Watson was pre-suspension, but he's also played every year and gotten better every year. Watson hadn't played and still had a suspension to serve. Lots of variables. It was an incredibly risky move in both draft capital and money/time commitment. It's been a complete disaster for the Browns. Fields is nowhere near the risk. A second or third round pick and 25 million over 2 years is far less risky than 5 years, 230 million over 5 years, and 3 firsts/a third/two fourths.

The Bears are asking for a first, but Fields is only worth what other teams are willing to pay. He's a tradeable asset and they wont want to keep him rostered for a year and let him walk for nothing. They'll trade him for below their initial value if they can't get it (which I doubt they will).

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Please NO... to more of Bears re-treads at QB. Fields might be OK on other teams, but he would be a bust for the Steelers.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there is one guy nobody is talking about and he got benched for his new team. jimmy G. wonder what it would take to have them let him walk? not sure what kind of money they are paying him either. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Uh, what? Lecturing applies equally to a group as it does to any singular, 'named' person(s).

So,
    can just as easily be intros to a lecturing post.

Also, this:
    is a tired trope I've spoken to you about before. If you've looked something up and have details, you present it; instructing everyone else to 'go look it up if you don't believe me' is lazy argumentation.

Second, the 'guilty' aren't always the ones to speak up. On several occasions when you've gotten on your soapbox about something I've asked to whom you're referring, because you tend to use a lot of 'everyone here'/'no one believed me' type language.

A month or so ago you were on a rant about the Canada/Trubisky/Rudolph timeline and how everyone laughed when you said Canada and Trubisky weren't good signings. When I clarified that I didn't, you proceeded to tell me I wasn't a member of the board then.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Probably by next month it could happen.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I believe Fields only played in 13 games, so it's close to 10 rushes per game. I think a more traditional QB will be better suited for Arthur Smiths offense. Let the RBs run the ball and make passing plays in play action from the pocket. I don't argue that he was better than Kenny in 2023, I just think he is not going to be good enough to be a franchise QB, so why bring him in? The team has to establish their franchise QB as quickly as possible, and I believe bringing in Fields would just delay that process, giving him a couple of years before they realize he isn't going to be the guy. I think the best approach is to start Kenny in 2024, give him a few games and if he doesn't show major improvement, bench him and start your search for a franchise QB.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't get the Sam Howell hype, the guy put up numbers because his team was always losing, he was one of the league leaders in interceptions and sacked the most last season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Awesome. I only read half then realized that You jump into a lot of stuff that isn't even being said to You....are you the boards captain save a hoe???
    I said....don't get Canada as a OC, but many laughed, and said what do You know...., I said Trubisky is a waste....many laughed , and said what do You know....I said Mason should be starting, and got the same.....I said a trade for Watson will ruin us, but for being right I don't get.....Hey maybe we should listen....I get....You sure preach a lot, or some other dumb crap. Also I'm sorry You weren't on here when most of that was said... .I'm not looking it up for You....you can do a search for it Yourself. I'm not Your secretary. The guys that have been on here know what was said. I promise You this much if it wasn't said ....I wouldn't say it was....because believe You me when people want to prove me wrong....they quickly look it up.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So we should trade picks, and money for fine??? LoL

12. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    So that's why they wanted Claypool! Diabolical bastards!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Trading for Fields would be very different. Trubisky was signed for a lot less than they would be spending for two years of Fields when you consider they would have to pick up his $22 million fifth-year option. More importantly, they didn't give up any draft capital to get Trubisky. Fields is going to cost at least a second-round pick. Trubisky was a bridge. The entire point of trading a pick that high for Fields would be the hope that he can be their franchise quarterback.

14. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Fields is an excellent deep ball passer, and it would be interesting to see how that would play on this team. Kenny clearly doesn't have his arm talent. If the Steelers want to pound the rock with the run game, Fields would be able to loosen up a defense more effectively with the vertical passing game than KP can. In fact, Fields can put a lot of stress on a defense with his arm and his legs, something Pickett can not really replicate because he simply isn't as athletically gifted. After all, we saw how dramatically the offense improved when Mason took over because he, too, could challenge defenses down the field with his arm where Mitch and KP couldn't.

DJ Moore had a career year with Fields and was dynamite this season. It wouldn't shock me to see Pickens, Johnson, or 'Muth also have success with Fields, although it probably wouldn't be as pronounced with any of them because Moore is likely the best player of that group. However, in the right system and at the right cost, I don't think Fields would be a bad move. It would really just depend on how Smith uses him and if the Steelers can tap into his gifts.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Fields' numbers were inflated by a two-game stretch in October. He threw for 335 yards and four touchdowns against the Broncos a week after the Dolphins dropped 70 points on that same defense. Denver was thoroughly helpless on defense early in the season. The next week he threw four more touchdowns against a terrible Washington defense. In his 11 other starts, he threw eight touchdowns and eight interceptions. He had a small edge on Picket in yards per attempt, but he also completed a lower percentage of his passes. This was in year three, one more than Pickett, which I think makes it less likely that there is more meat on the bone with Fields.

In other words, he isn't a very good passer. This is before we even get to his struggles taking care of the football between his interceptions and fumbles. This is one area in which Pickett has a huge advantage over Fields. Also, they don't have to give up another draft pick or two to acquire Pickett and he isn't due to make $22 million in 2025, which is what they would have to give Fields to pick up his fifth-year option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Moore went over 1,000 yards as a receiver three times before he ever played with Feids. What I did see of them was Moore making Fields look good rather than the other way around. Fields is an erratic passer at best and the same complaints we hear about Pickett reading defenses apply to Fields even after one more year in the pros.

17. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I don't see the Steelers going for Fields unless the price is cheap. But, C'Mon Man! Don't make chit up to fit your narrative! Moore has had his most productive year with Fields. The Bears finally gave him a good WR to throw to and he did that. And I thought most writers were smart.

18. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Those 98, 99 teams had multiple issues all around, having 4 OC's in 3 years certainly didnt help along with the numerous free agency losses and ridiculous off field drama rumors. 97, 2nd half of 2000 when he regained his starting position and 2001 were good seasons for him.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  19. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Fields would be a mistake... I would rather ride with Pickett & spend the $ on better supporting players... you & I finally agree on something... lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    But, he did have success as a dual threat AND a passer, especially in 01. He was no where as bad as so many make him out to be. I just don't get the hate he receives. He wasn't no where as successful as Bradshaw and Roethlisberger but still ranks 3rd behind them regardless.

Lets go back and look at the horrible QBs we suffered through from 84-00: Stout, Malone, Woodley, Campbell, Brister, Blackledge, Miller, Graham (I'm sure I'm missing a few others). The exceptions during those years were ODonnell and possibily Tomczak who had a few good games.

Those 97, 01 AFC Championship's were rough though. Regardless, we got there, even though there is still an asterisk next to the 01 Patriots loss, the beginning of Spygate.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  21. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    1. It's a public message forum. Things said are accepted to be for the general community, especially when you say things like, 'everyone is overlooking..', 'no one is using their eyes..', etc. That's why there's a private message function.
    2. You're still using the 'I'm responding just to say I didn't read your post' line :facepalm:

Nice ad hominem attack. Try sticking to the subject at hand.

I don't discredit your opinions. Doesn't mean I'm going to agree with every one either. Don't expect you to agree with all of mine. The point is having a productive discussion over differences.

You seem to really struggle with this one, and since it's very basic, it doesn't say a lot for your general awareness or recollection of past postings. Look under my avatar. I've been around since 2014, which I told you when you tried using this before.

That's how a proper debate should be. We all have opinions. If one is questioned and we do a little research to learn, I'd say it's a win. But yours often tends to be out of the norm: go look up threads from three years ago; go watch every All-22 film from last year, etc. You don't show the knowledge of having done any of that yourself, but challenge others to go find the data that proves you wrong.

Of course even if they did, chances are you'd respond just to say you didn't read their post.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    There is a possibility that the Bears keep Fields and draft him a great WR in Marvin Harrison Jr. Or they could keep him and trade the first pick overall and get a boat load of draft picks and or players in return.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    He's at 8.9 rushes per game for his career. It's fair to think that he isn't going to be good enough to be a franchise QB... That is the main point of all this. If we think we can get him there, then do it. If not, then don't bother.

My POV is that we are delaying the next franchise QB anyways by naming Kenny the guy "with competition" in 2024. Kenny is shot. He's gotten ample opportunity and has proven he isn't capable of playing QB at an NFL level for any consistent amount of time. We can hope all we want, but Mason's time as a starter proved that the system wasn't holding Kenny back, it was the other way around. So why not take a chance on someone else? We're already willing to waste 2024 by starting Kenny, so why not waste 2024 with someone that actually has a shot to be something. I think Fields CAN. Will he be a guy? Maybe, and maybe not. But there at least is a chance. Kenny doesn't even have a chance.

Kenny Pickett is Landry Jones. As a fan base we tried to run Landry out of a BACK UP job, but we keep holding out hope that Kenny is the STARTING QB and FRANCHISE QB of the future. Its madness. Landry started and finished 4 games in his career and it looks pretty similar to an amalgamation of Kenny's 4 best games in a Steelers uniform put together, let alone his last 4 starts (which were increasingly awful outside of one game against a horrible defense). What are we doing here? Why is this even a question?

LJ
    23/27 - 239 yds - 1 TD/ 1 INT - 27 pts
    24/37 - 277 yds - 3TD/ 1 INT - 28 pts
    29/47 - 281 yds - 1TD/ 1 INT - 16 pts
    16/29 - 209 yds - 1 TD/ 2 INT - 13 pts
    3/4 - 23 yds - 0 TD/ 0 INT - 30 pts (appears to have not finished this game)
    4 starts - 251 YPG - 6 TD/ 5 INT - 21 PPG (only counted games he finished)

KP
    24/33 - 278 yds - 0 TD/ 0 INT - 16 pts
    15/28 - 106 yds - 0 TD/ 0 INT - 10 pts
    14/23 - 126 yds - 0 TD 0 INT - 23 pts
    19/30 - 160 yds - 1 TD/ 0 INT - 20 pts
    4 starts - 167 YPG - 1 TD/ 0 INT - 17 PPG (only counted games he finished)

25. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    A lot of us are willing to waste a year, then trade picks and money for a chance at being fine or better. So yeah, if we think he can be better than fine for us... we should.