1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF STEELERS GO FOR FIELDS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It wasn't just the playbook. He was more familiar with his veteran teammates and everything else about camp. So we got these passing numbers from the first week of camp that fooled way too many fans. Those don't mean more than the preseason games, when Rudolph was the worst of the three even though he was playing against scrubs.

2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    • Cousins wants way too much money.
    • If they bring in Tannehill, I assume that is to be the backup. I doubt they are bringing him in telling him it will be an even competition for the job. He has battled injuries the last two seasons and he sucked in 2023.
    • Fields is just a terrible idea. He's going to cost at least a second-round pick. They are also going to have to pick up his fifth-year option, which is around $22 million. He just isn't a good enough passer. He had two big games against dog**** competition that inflated his numbers from 2023. He threw eight touchdowns in those two games, but only eight more in the other 11. Hard pass.
    • Wentz is done.
    • I'm not sure the Commanders are ready to give up on Howell. He is an interesting contrast with Pickett. My guess is Tomlin would still go for the guy who protects the ball if those were his options.
    • Carr might not be a terrible bridge, but I'm guessing the price won't be right.
    • They aren't getting Herbert. He is the primary draw for that job, the reason for Harbaugh to want to go there. He has his quarterback.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Those are nice, but he had maybe two good seasons and his lack of accuracy was a huge problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I don't disagree at all.
    Tannehill is not carrying us anywhere on his back, but he can operate well enough to keep us in the race and mentor a young QB.
    That is of course, bad and good.
    Bad - For those who like to think teams 'tank' for draft picks... he's not going to be good.
    Good - He's just good enough to get wins if all falls into place.

How in the world did we get here? :)
    The only good scenario I see is Pickett plays like a man possessed.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If Howell is made available, he’s my #1 reasonable cost target.

6. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    The grade on Pickett is “incomplete”. Don’t be surprise if the team signs a marquee QB and then trade Pickett for draft capital. The verdict is still out and there may be teams that would be willing to part with a mid-round pick for him. This team doesn’t want any distractions that a QB controversy would cause

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah that was my mistake. I recalled a partnership between the NFL and PFF and was thinking they were the official stats keeper but it’s Elias. PFF differs on each of the three years I cited. Maybe they use subjective yards too, if he hadn’t been tackled there he would have gotten 10 more yards :goofy:

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    It depends on what the trade is

They probably wont trade a 1 or yes they would start him

For a 3 or less I think not so much at least there would be true competition

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes absolutely

Yes absolutely but it depends on how he does

Agreed

Agreed

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    There is a better chance of you or me starting than there is of that happening

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. 78steelers

78steelers Active Member

Nov 15, 2023
    Remember Herbert was my dream. i can't disagree that is why he to the head coaching job but we should at least have the conversation with the chargers. until they say hell no!
    continue talking. think about how many time we get upset and we all say we should have made that trade. I think that not having the talk is why other teams get the players we want.
    Look at what the chargers have to replace.
    !st and 2nd string running back
    A second or third wide receiver (williams will be cut)
    Starting te
    2nd string QB
    1st and second string Center(Linsley probably cut welcome to the steeler) Clapp free agent
    Maybe a right tackle.
    that is a lot to replace with cap space

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What would you consider reasonable?

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly correct. I pray they don't trade for Him, but if they use that draft capital to get Him....He will play. Exactly what I was trying to say about Trubisky, and KFP over Mason. When they spend that money , and Draft capital...they will get all the chances 1st...until they can't give them anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Here is the thing that nobody is taking into account.....if a team thinks the Qb is actually good....they aren't trading Him away....unless He is almost past his time. That is why I laugh at all the Fields talk. If Chicago though for one min Fields was the future.....they would Keep Him.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I lectured nobody. I said no names....only the guilty jumped up, and hollered. How could I be lecturing anyone when I didn't name anyone???? I said the same people.....not a name. Were those people wrong about wanting DeShawn Watson, or not???
    Imagine the set back that would have been here.

17. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    It doesn’t really matter what the Bears are asking. My point is fans are not willing to pay a 1st for Fields, then why bother at all. Starting QBs cost. People saying they wouldn’t sacrifice a 1st round pick don’t actually expect him to become the starter and/or franchise QB. Which would be cheap. We spent a 1st on a starting Safety. KP cost us a 1st. If Fields will upgrade KP, he’s worth at least a 1st round pick. If that’s too much for Justin Fields, my point is we don’t want or need Justin Fields.
    But it’s just an opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I said You agreed with Him, but His statement was incorrect. Mahomes has never even rushed for 500 yards once in a season. Hell He hasn't even rushed for 400 yards....so it's impossible for Him to average 500 yards a season. If you read it I wouldn't have had to write this.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well I know a two time SB winning Wr that will tell You this, but He won't say it publicly, none of them will, and I have heard other wrs when I was on D talk about it....when their Qbs take off........I was wide open, but of course He didn't see Me because He was trying to be captain highlight.

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    A 4th in 2024 plus a conditional pick in 2025.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    For who???

22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Well if he fared comparatively to Kenny, then yes... he would suck. But he played better than Kenny, so that is why I feel that the WR's would be a lot happier about having Fields as QB than they would Pickett. And there's plenty of touches with Fields. Fields attempted more passes, completed more balls, threw for more yards, threw for more TD's. Not sure where there would be touches taken away from the WR's. There is more opportunity in a Fields offense than a Kenny offense, even with the attempted runs by Fields. You have to remember that 125 runs a season is like 7 rushes a game, some of which will be designed runs. He's still attempting more passes than Kenny (thus more opportunity), he's throwing more TD passes (thus happier WR's), he's throwing for more yards (again happier WR's) and he was one of the game's best in balls over 20 yards (more big play opportunities for the WR's than with Kenny). We saw all the "WR issues" disappear with Pickett on the bench and Rudolph throwing them the ball. Its not like Rudolph is an All-Pro by any means, he was just a competent QB.... something we've lacked since the day Pickett walked onto the field. He's not a rookie anymore. He's started 25 games. Some guys get better... Fields has improved every year. Kenny's remained the same (and gotten worse in some areas).

Is Fields flawless? Certainly not. Should we give up a first to get him? No. I don't think so. Is he a hell of a lot better than what we have on the roster now? Absolutely. That isn't even debatable.

23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Cowherd had Jimmy Johnson on today and asked him what QB (if either a FA or open for trade) he would choose, listed 5, Fields, Baker, Cousins, Wilson, or Tannehill..Jimmy was quiet and then said something like 'do I have to pick' in other words none of the above. They all could bring different scenarios, but none really bring great thrills. To give a first for Fields, have to guarantee around 30 million for 2 years, then a boatload if he is even moderately successful (like win a playoff game), is a complete no go for me..but hey I dont make those calls. If in some far out way they could make a deal like the Packers did with Love, cut the fifth year down to a reasonable number and extend to a 6th year with incentives then perhaps it might be worth the chance, but giving up a first or even 2nd with the expense and limited time is foolish.

24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Howell

25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Not always true. Goff was good, but they had a chance to get Stafford. So they got rid of Goff and got Stafford. Goff is fine, but Stafford is better. The Bears likely see Fields as fine, but the prospect of drafting someone like Caleb Williams is better...

• Agree Agree x 1