1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF STEELERS GO FOR FIELDS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I think, I will be done with Steeler football for a while if we get the trifecta of Tomlin, Pickett and Fields. I have a feeling that so will most of the team halfway through the season .

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think I saw that the Bears have to make that decision in May so I assume that would follow suit for whatever team he is on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Fair competition, wink wink.

If they trade for him he will most certainly be handed the job. You don’t give up draft capital for a 2nd string QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Speaks about him after saying the Bears shouldn’t draft Williams if they think they are getting Mahomes.

5. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    May 2 is the deadline for all fifth-year options this year, and travels with any player traded prior to that date (unless for whatever reason the original team had already picked it up).

Another option in play is a team trades for Fields and reaches an extension agreement with him. This enables them to lessen the $23M cap hit in 2025, provided they are confident they want to keep him for more than two years and can agree with his camp on a fair deal. Less likely of a scenario, but one in play nonetheless.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I watched them all too, some very frustrating, but the stats and accomplishments I mentioned above and again below still don't lie, regardless if you liked him or not. There are numerous Steelers QBs that came no where close to to his accomplishments during his time as a starting QB from 97- seven games in 02.
    :
    2 AFC Championship games, 2 Pro Bowls (one as an alternate), Steelers MVP, AFC OPOY and runner up as NFL player of the year all as a QB. Out of all time Steelers QB's he is 3rd in yardage and TD's.

Also:
    • Steelers QB career leader in TD runs (38)
    • Steelers QB single-season leader in TD runs (11)
    • NFL's first 20/10 QB (20 TD passes, 10 TD runs)
    • First Steelers QB to complete over 60% of passes in single season
    • First NFL QB to record an 80-yard run
    • Only NFL player in history with at least 75 TD passes, 35 TD runs, 5 TD receptions

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

Agree. I remember ALOT of passes hitting the ground 5 yards in front of the intended receiver. Accuracy was not his forte.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. StillCurtain

Dec 24, 2018

Yeah that was that meat head bill Romanowski if I remember right. Man I couldn't stand that guy but he was pretty good and right about that play. It was unfortunately one of many dumb decisions slash made. But he was exciting at times I'll give him that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Wasn't Romanowski the pile on king his last couple of years? Always late to the party and piling on.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Umm

That other guy was a 1st and Mr Rooney said he’s looking forward to seeing him take the next step

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. StillCurtain

Dec 24, 2018

That's what I remember as well. Somehow he lucked out and played on some pretty good teams but I couldn't stand his personality and he was a dirty player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Nah Ben was playing backyard ball rolling out of the pocket, shaking off defenders, and finding targets deep down field making big plays for 1st downs and touchdowns.

Go review the tape he was lights out out of the gate. He did lean heavily on Bettis, Faneca, Polamalu, Et al.. the guy had great talent around him, but Ben was not just back there trying not to make a mistake.

Plays would break down and he'd make a play happen. That's the opposite of game manager. The game manager throws the ball out of bounds if the read they want isn't there.

I remember being at the bar when they drafted him I was tickled senseless and he did not disappoint.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think people are having a tough time with the reality is Rooney, Tomlin and company have not thrown Kenny Pickett into the dumpster yet. They make it clear there will be competition, but they are very much open to Kenny being the starter once again next year.

I think a lot of people aren't going to like that too much.

I for one will harp again that they need to get that stud center in the draft and upgrade OT. Not 'sexy' positions we need to pound that rock.

There are two great RBs on this roster imo they need to get holes open for them. Control the clock. Make big plays off play action. Try to be a little difficult at least to guess what play we're running lol

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats all well and good but no one could possibly believe they would trade for Fields and then not start him.

But they probably won’t trade for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It'd be very uncharacteristic of this organization to give up anything more than a 3rd or 4th round pick, which is not going to happen.

So yeah in my scenario there is no Justin Fields.

If he would somehow become a member of the Steelers, which I think would be awesome btw just not with trading the #1 pick, I'll eat my words.

I think the likelihood of it actually happening is nil to none

• Like Like x 1
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Agreed to disagree.
    Tannehill, not spectacular by any means, has a proven starter track record. He most certainly is an upgrade.
    Even the ratings agree.
    It really boils down to what they want to do.
    There's going to be 4 QBs in camp and Pickett is the only one we know so far that will be there.

I think it's a flip of a coin.
    Tannehill or Brissett. Either can be effective while they decide on Pickett.
    I think Mason is the cheap option. Of course, this is my shot at being armchair GM.
    We'll know in a few weeks. I have no issues with whatever route they go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Good and objective post. Some let their personal feelings get in the way of facts sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not sure why you are comparing Fields to Kenny, I thought Kenny sucked? And the toxic twins would not be happy with Fields. The Bears had the 27th ranked passing offense in 2023, actually worse than Pittsburgh. Not enough touches for the skill players if the QB is going to take off and run 125 to 150 times a season. They are all playing for new contracts and taking touches away takes money out of their pockets.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Almost every one of those is related to QB runs. He was like so many college QBs today who come into the NFL on the strength of being “dual threat” QBs, but aren’t able to have success as passers and mental leaders of an NFL offense. He was exciting, but we fell short with a really strong team, and he was a key reason why.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I have a visceral “no” reaction to Tannehill that is probably overemphasized by my memory of watching his horrid performance in his last postseason game, the home loss to the Bengals when Tennessee was the #1 seed. I would be a strong no if we hadn’t brought Arthur Smith on board. However Smith really got the best out of Tannehill. I don’t think Tannehill is a good NFL QB, but he could be serviceable under Smith.

Brissett is a high-end backup, and I’d be ok with him being part of the QB room, but I don’t think he has enough ability to lead a team on a postseason run. If we do the unthinkable and trade for Fields, Brissett may be an ideal backup by allowing for continuity in play style.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd rather see them go after jake browning or tyler huntley. maybe both. that would be a young qb room with some good competition for the starting spot. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  22. 78steelers

78steelers Active Member

Nov 15, 2023
    If the steelers goal is to bring in competition for Pickett, with hope he gets better. The are missing the point. The goal should be make the team Better. 1)Mason should leave. i do not believe he will get a starting job. Iif he wants to play go to Arizonia and get the three plus starts a game.
    2)run away from Field
    3)Tannehill-I don't have a problem with but worry about injuries. Should he believe the Steelers. Ask Mason why.
    4)Cousin-- we will get out bid

I give some options
    Competition - Free agent Carson Wentz
    Trade- Sam Howell- I Know the interceptions but look at other stats. We ***** about our line but he was sacked 62 times and still passed for almost 4000 yards in his 1st year as a starter

Team better- trade Derrick Carr. Saint are about to blow team up because of salary cap 60million+ over the cap. Have to be post June 1 trade for Saint to save them Any Real money

Dream- Justin Herbert
    Chargers in well over cap. Cut trade or free agent Bosa, Mack, Murray and Hendricks that is the starting linebacks\. Plus 2thirds of defensive line also well as offensive losses

Watson trade set the price range
    this will hurts 2 first rounds and next years second
    Joey Porter and Jaylon Warren

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i could get on board with howell. :cool:

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I hear you, but he's got that in his teeth and you know he's not going to let it go until you acknowledge the statistical error. I trust Pro Football Reference more than anybody. I trust them and ESPN a hell of a lot more than PFF.

25. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Howell kind of reminds me of Baker Mayfield, he is scrappy and never quits on a play. He can be reined in by learning that every play doesn't have to be a 40 yard competition. He makes a lot of big plays but a lot of dumb ones too but that can be coached out of him.

• Agree Agree x 1