1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF STEELERS GO FOR FIELDS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 12, 2024.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Feeling a trick question as the answer is obvious.

• Like Like x 2
  2. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    And Purdy only scored 22 in OT, with all of those weapons at his disposal. I think the KC D had a lot to do with things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Only 9 picks? Sign him savvy :hehehe: 10 in 2021, 11 in 2022. Now i'm not much for Tomlin but I know one thing about him he doesn't like seeing the ball turned over.

So they are going to waste draft capital? (which I don't believe they will do) Plus every team knows by now he is going to possibly be replaced by a 1st rounder, they really don't have much leverage to ask for a high pick.

Instead of being cast off after you were drafted 11th and played 38 of 40 games maybe just try and develop him? Or like you said Blast maybe he just hasn't got it.

I don't want a Lame ar wanna be.

You roll with Pickett and if he fails then you know next season your drafting another QB in the 1st. This is how I see it playing out.

4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I doubt any of us want Tannehill. What you are seeing is posters putting stuff up the Talking Heads are saying.

5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    KC defense won that Playoffs for them this season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Lol! I keep reading Bo Nix predictions as well.

7. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    A washed up Tannehill gives this team more in their current situation than does Fields. A veteran mentor that knows how to help KP in this specific offense.
    The Bears are asking for a 1st. If you won’t pay a 1st, then you don’t really want Fields either.

8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    There was an entire segment this morning on "Get up" about Fields coming to Pittsburgh. They all agreed that Fields would be a perfect fit for Arthur Smith but said the Steelers shouldn't give up pick #20 for him. They were saying if they can give up the second round pick for Fields the Steelers should jump on that trade. Now this isn't my opinion on Fields I still have doubts that he could be a good NFL QB.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Tannehill is no real solution - he becomes a game manager of sorts. Not sure there is enough talent around him to advance too far with that.

ready to take a gamble on Fields, we will see.

just don't think he will be a huge cost - maybe a first rounder?

THIS is what happens when you plan VERY POORLY in transition. Go back to 2019 to see the beginning of this mess...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I had heard 2nd, but give up the first if we have to. We have mid to late rounder - isn't a HUGE deal IF this kid can play - and I think he can

cut a bunch of other DEAD WOOD and sign some FA's + the rest of the draft.

COMPETE in 2024! (while TJ is STILL in his PRIME!)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Marcus Spears was saying that Arthur Smith made Ryan Tannehill a very effective runner especially in the red zone. He said can you imagine how effective Fields would be as a runner with the defense having to key on Harris, Warren, Muth, Pickens, Johnson etc. It was a very interesting discussion this morning about Fields being a Steeler.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Yep, they fubarred the Mason issue so now if he leaves we feel we need to chase someone. Bad idea. Mason was 8-4-1 not even two full seasons and it seems the non mason guys say we saw him for 3 years and he never didn't do anything. Is it perhaps we suck at evaluating QB's. The same team evaluated Pickett as NFL ready sort of can't miss and we have our doubts already. I would rather have gone to camp with Mason and Pickett and said this is truly full comp (even though I think the comp is gonna be whoever learns our new OC's system the best). If they both suck and we have a **** year then go back to draft or free agency next year but chasing field and giving up a #1 when we have many other holes to fix in my opinion will be 3 years wasted. How many teams really have given up on a #1 pick and that guy went on to another team and lit it up for a career? Don't do it!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

I would love to see Mason back - but that is not happening, it appears - and I don't blame MASON for wanting out of this mismanaged crap hole! He showed significant upside in his 6th season (he grew up and learned / developed) - some of us that have EYES TO SEE saw it. The Steelers dumb brass obviously do not see it. They need to GO BIG or GO HOME or wallow again at #6 or 7 seed. Maybe....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If they could get Fields for a 5th rounder, then okay. Anything higher that then....just say no to Justin Fields.
    The Steelers already have an undeveloped and fully unknown project QB on the roster in Pickett.
    It would be absolutely asinine to give up ANY significant draft capital to bring in another.

I'd rather they bring in Wilson or Cousins. At least you're pretty sure what you are getting with them.

I'd most like them to resign Rudolph, or if he's not available Tannehill, than trade for Fields.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Gotta love fans! QB should never ever turn the ball over lol. Not picking on you, fans in general are just funny with that stuff. Mahomes had 16 picks this season. Even the great Tom Brady threw interceptions. I’d be very happy with a QB that only throws 9 picks in a season whomever that may be.

But hey, if low turnovers is the goal then Kenny Pickett is the guy ;)

Which I think it’s going to be, they will run it back one more year with him and see how he does with Smith.

The QB room this season could be:

Pickett
    Rudolph or Tannehill
    Draft pick

I think they will add a draft pick. I think we will see that somewhere in the first 4 rounds. Arians said this is one of the best draft classes in recent memory.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Our new OC is a under center guy good for our RB.THis style is also good for PA. Insert a mobile QB and the PA game becomes way more effective. IMO Fields is worth next year's 1..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you going to make a safety out of him

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. vasteeler

vasteeler Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Great QB play didn't even play a factor in the Superbowl.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats another sign why I feel they intend to roll with Pickett. There was a chart of all the QBs and how they fare using play action and Pickett fell in the quadrant of not using play action often but good results when they did.

I expect play action to increase significantly this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Some of the Nancy on the spots probably posted this... but it just came across my desk from Mr Rooney RE; Fields.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Pretty much how I feel about it. Plus Hoge’s opinion makes me feel better about it, too.

22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Which is exactly the reason I want Tannehill in Pittsburgh teaching Pickett how to be a "Game Manager" like he was and like Brock Purdy is.

AND, I think between Najee, DJ, and Pickens not to mention Warren and Muth, there is enough talent here for a "Game Manager" to be successful.

23. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Tannehill is an upgrade over Mason, so if you want a guy to step in to keep the ship going and buy some time to figure out if Kenny is the guy or not, and if not get a new guy.
    Tannehill is not going to cause problems if he gets beat out in training camp or if say Kenny comes on during the season.
    Tannehill could probably get you to 10 or 12 wins with a solid defense and good offense... he won't carry us there but he won't be the weak link.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is probably going to be the cost, which means they are stuck with him for two years and they are giving up on Pickett.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Tannehill led the league in yards per attempt in 2019, then threw 33 touchdown passes in 2020. At his best, he was more than a game manager.

• Like Like x 1