1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF STEELERS GO FOR FIELDS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Come on you really can't believe that teams win Superbowls not QB's. Put Mahomes on a bad team like the Commanders and they are an instant Superbowl contender. Look at Brady he left and went to a mediocre Tampa team and won a Superbowl the next year with them. The Patriots who were in 10 Superbowls during his time there are now one of the worst teams in the NFL since he left. It is all about the QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Roll the dice is exactly what you do. I’m not against Fields. I am against the cost of getting Fields. Fix that and I’m in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I mean anything is worth a shot if the price is right.

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    What are you willing to pay? Apparently they want a first, but I wouldn't give that up (nor do I think they get that from anyone). The money is a non-issue bc its a smaller amount and very short term. Its the draft pick. I'm in for a third, maybe a second.

5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I'm just holding out hope we do something other than roll Kenny/Tannehill next year. That would be so demoralizing, and easily the worst QB room in the league. Kenny/Mason is better, but not so much so that we are in a good spot. We need something new. I don't want us to hold onto KSP too long like we did with Canada (and like I think we are doing with Tomlin). Can't keep making the same mistakes.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

UGH is correct!!

Better yet, who is getting the axe?! Cameron Heyward seems to be the only logical option unless they extend him for that cap hit is massive. Highsmith needs a restructure and other players need to go before any possibility of Fields is even considered. That is not even accounting for Draft Capital either.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    I don't consider Mahomes a pocket passer.
    More like an Out of Pocket passer.

8. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

It's just a google search away. The scrambling QB's that the league has seen over the years (and there's been many) they rarely if ever win SB's. Most of them miss the playoffs and are out of the league quickly. Some are good enough to stick around and compete but they rarely win SB's. The QB's with ability to make big plays with their arms are the guys that win titles. The data is there . There's been more QB's to win titles that can't really run and frankly are not good throwing the ball either. I'd be wiling to bet more of them than the Mike Vick / Fields type players. Those guys just didn't make mistakes to hurt the team and won with a running game and defense.

There's been some Qb's that could run well but they preferred to stay in the pocket and throw because it produces more points. More big plays, and more first downs. but of course Mike Tomlin would love to have a scrambling QB. Maybe it would make us more successful with the 2 point conversations?

9. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Who had previously played for SF :)...but it was in Denver game

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Kordell averaged 118 YPG for his career. Pathetic from any angle.

11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    20 years ago means very little, let's just look at the most recent Super Bowl matchups.

2023Mahomes vs Purdy (2 Mobile)
    2022 Mahomes vs Hurts (2 Mobile)
    2021 Stafford vs Burrow (2 Mobile)
    2020 Brady vs Mahomes (1 Pocket, 1 Mobile...pocket won)
    2019 Mahomes vs Garoppolo (1 Pocket, 1 Mobile...mobile won)
    2018 Brady vs Goff (2 Pocket)

Current Top Quarterbacks in the NFL (No particular order), all mobile...none of them are pure pocket passers

Mahomes (Mobile)
    Burrow (Mobile)
    Jackson (Mobile)
    Hurts (Mobile)
    Allen (Mobile)
    Purdy (Mobile)
    Herbert (Mobile)

Even if we just look at the NFL playoffs this year, 3 pocket passers all existed in round 1.

Hurts (Mobile)
    Mayfield (Mobile)
    Stafford (Pocket)
    Geoff (Mobile)
    Love (Mobile)
    Prescott (Mobile)
    Tua (Mobile)
    Mahomes (Mobile)
    Rudolph (Pocket)
    Allen (Mobile)
    Flacco (Pocket)
    Stroud (Mobile)

I'm not saying anyone should value mobile over pocket......but you have to have both to be elite in the NFL. The days of pure pocket passers are gone for now. These pass rushers are so good and so fast that pure pocket passers are going to get that ball out of their hand in 2 seconds or less, essentially what Ben Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers were their last year or two in the league.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    We have 1 top50 pick and only 3 top100 picks. I don’t trade any of those this draft for Fields. Justin Fields has not shown me enough in the NFL that I make that trade. 40 games in, with 40TDs, 14RushTDs, and 30INTs, 38Fumbles. I am not seeing the value.

Is Fields better than Pickett? I say no.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I can’t fathom why they would do this unless they think he can be the next Hurtz. We have to many holes to fill we should not be trading away draft capital. See what we have in KP under the new OC and if he doesn’t play well this year then move up in the draft to get your QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I would not consider Stafford or Burrow mobile QB’s. It is even suspect to suggest Purdy is. There are plenty of mobile QB’s out there that aren’t productive either. I think your argument actually does a disservice to Mahomes and the rest of these guys. A better argument is pocket presence, field vision, composure and ability to go through progressions. When you look at it that way Brady and Mahomes are alot more alike. You have to give Ried and the KC defense just as much credit in this game as Mahomes by the way.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Yep Roid Rage boy himself.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    For that statistic, its including the games he played as WR, the games he played as QB but threw 2 passes, etc. Lots of 0 ypg games when its including 32 games where he wasn't even a QB. If you do yards per start its 178 ypg... Not necessarily great by any means, but only 18 starters in 1998 threw for more than 200 yards a game, so his career numbers wouldn't have been egregiously terrible in his day (especially since only 3 QB's were throwing for more than 250 ypg in his day vs. 9 in 2023). Still a different era and difficult to compare

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    There's a difference between guys that are mobile and guys that run though, no? Even pocket passers are seeing years where they rush the ball 75+ times. Burrow has one, so does Mahomes. Ben/Brady/Manning would generally rush it 18-30 times a year and 95% of those were QB sneaks. While the "mobile" guys today still run sneaks, they have plays where they go through progressions and take off because they can actually hurt you with their legs. Its less that they run a lot of designed runs, but they could hurt you on one if they did.

18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    That is the only reason you do it. He's gotten better every year and he's generally played on really bad football teams. If we think he can be that, then its worth a shot with a second round pick or later. If not... then don't do it.

I think it is infinitely less risky to trade a second rounder for Fields than to trade multiple firsts (and more) to move up and get a new rookie that may or may not work out. Those types of moves set the franchise back a half decade if they don't work (and they often don't).

We know what we have in KP, and its not pretty. The problem is that the rest of our team is simply too good to lose enough games to draft high enough for the high end QB prospects. We need to either take a chance on Fields, or sign someone like Cousins or Mayfield if we want to win games now. If not, we roll with Kenny until he gets benched and figure it out from there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Brady
    Brady
    Brady
    Brady

and a few others.

Pocket Passer

20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will be in the minority - I would give our #1 for Fields.

We can watch how this unfolds - what we DO vs. what we DON'T DO - both w Fields and Rudolph for that matter - can revisit in a yr. or 2.

Kenny will wash out and we will wallow - the time to fish was 2023, now we cut bait, IMO. Canada was not ALL to blame.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes

22. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I love Fields, but the #1 is a lot to give up. Especially since the Bears lack leverage in the situation all but telegraphing a Caleb Williams selection. They want to get something for him instead of rostering him and losing him for free. He's a tradeable asset, so they will get what they can. I think he can easily be had for a second or a couple thirds/pick swaps.

If we don't take the chance on Fields and we aren't interested in Mayfield or Cousins, then there is absolutely 0 reason to not pay Rudolph to start for a year or two. He will easily beat Pickett out in a competition, though I am still not sold on him as a long term answer. A lot better spot starting option than Mr. Sixteen. Pickett is shot IMO. I am not real interested in seeing him QB the Steelers in 2024.

23. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Ben was 3-9 vs. Brady
    Petyon was 6-11 vs. Brady

Bums. Scrubs. Awful.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    No team should give up a #1 for Fields. Not because he’s not worth it but because Chicago has no leverage. They need to dump Fields if they draft a new QB, and all teams know that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The media will just go back to the draft notes and Pro Days, for a quote or comment to try and connect the dots.