1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Arthur Smith Concepts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 1, 2024.

1. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    All of this placating to the player's feelings (like pampering Pickett cause he is familiar with Canada) is what Rooney meant when he said Tomlin knows how to reach 20 year olds.

2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Smith can call up all the great plays. It won't matter unless the QB and offensive players execute.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not false information, though I can see why you might believe it is misleading. It is fair to say Henry wasn't an elite back his first three years. He showed he could do it when he averaged 4.9 yards per carry while sharing the load in his third season, but his two monster years were with Smith as OC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is one of the sillier narratives that has emerged of late, that the Steelers kept Canada because that is what Pickett wanted. A second-year quarterback is going to say positive things about his OC whether he believes them or not, but some of y'all would blame Pickett if your car won't start in the morning.

It is possible that they were hesitant to fire Canada because they wanted consistency at OC for Pickett, but that isn't the same as placating him or factoring his feelings into the decision.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    You're not wrong that Pickett missed his share of open recievers but it's not like Washington was getting more targets with Rudolph or Trubisky. He only had 10 total targets the entire season. I suspect that's more of a scheme/rookie thing than a KP thing. They definitely need to get him more involved next season. Especially in short yardage and goal line situations.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    They did not pamper Pickett because he liked Canada

AB is also proof of how much Tomlin can milk out of a screwed up 20 something

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    All I'm hoping for is that he's able to play to our players strengths and dissect and find weaknesses in opposing defenses, if he can do this even a little bit it's huge. Put the players in the best position to succeed and have them prepared and ready to execute on game day. A little innovation would be nice on the offensive side of the ball as well. Been a while since we've had trick plays in the bag that actually work when you need them. I can't imagine he'd be worse than Canada but then again most of us myself included didn't think they'd take a step back after Haley and we saw how that went.

9. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    I just read an article about Smith. It said he puts in long hours working with players and he is a no nonsense coach. Not afraid to get in anyone’s face including head coaches. He coached under several Steelers former coaches so he knows the system. He can also be a hot head even with the reporters. I sure hope he helps this team get organized and get back on top again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    It’s even worst if they actually thought keeping Canada was good for Pickett becoming a better QB.

11. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    They did say this they wanted “continuity “

Or something like that

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was referring to the times He was open with KFP. I always knew Trubisky couldn't read a field. There are some plays where Washington was wide open with KFP, and it actually looked like he looked at Him, but decided not to throw to him. That's what baffled me.

13. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yeah, flashbacks of almost choking to the Cards in the Super Bowl because of a play like that.

14. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Was that the game where Cowher was breaking his b@lls during the actual game about how he was killing them with his running and they had no answer?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Got to upgrade center to execute outside zone

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m thinking two of the Killer Bees must Bee broke

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    And I won't shed a tear.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Arthur Smith was like 20 years old when that game was played.
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I agree.
    I particularly despise that sort of nonsense. It goes to show that someone lives in a non-football world.
    A Joe Montana, Patrick Mahomes, Peyton Manning might a say and might be able to lobby for something.... not a rookie QB.
    That never happens, especially here in Pittsburgh.
    It is a very amateur and a silly narrative.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    There's a lot I can write about on this topic.
    First off, he's got to be excited with Harris and Warren - So I would imagine concepts he used in Tennessee will be partially applicable.
    I imagine one of the tasks he's working on is incorporating those two into his current playbook.

His 21 sets (2RB, single TE)
    He's got a lot of options since Harris and Warren are decent Receivers.
    I think the key is going to be TE. Freiermuth has to be better.

In Atlanta, he used the I formation with H tight or H close - Its and obvious run look.
    But you can pass, the key is sequence calls.
    He can man it with a FB and call a nice play for 3-4 yards..
    He can man it with Warren and Harris, Play Action - I like DJ to go post/flag and see if he draws the safety and slip Warren or Pat in that vacated spot with LB coverage.
    I also like a slide call, basically crossing patterns or drag routes.

He can also use the Weak I version - But this requires a good route running RB/FB since they are split out, which they sort of used with Harris at times.
    I could see keeping Warren in and splitting Harris...

I don't view Aurthur Smith as special, but I view him as solid enough to not call those weird plays and trick plays at the worst moments.
    I expect he will go with the analytics most of the time.
    I figure him as using players strengths, though one could argue that it seemed as though he didn't in Atlanta - I would agree with that.

• Like Like x 1
  21. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Still remember how quiet a room with at least 30 people got when Fitzgerald galloped away. Nobody said nothing for a good 30-45 seconds then one guy says, "well at least he's from Pitt". Did not go over well.

• Like Like x 1
  22. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I have hard enough knowing who the Steeler Coaches were. Don't pay much heed to Coaches especially non-Steelers.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I watched it with one Cardinals fans and a bunch of guys who didn't like the Steelers, so you can imagine the reaction was a little different. I was gracious when Holmes caught the winning touchdown. Honest.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I turned to my son-in-law and said "Thank God that he scored instead of dropping down on the one yard line or this game is over."

25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    A hot head might be just what this team needs

• Like Like x 1