1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Najee has been at least as good as Derrick Henry

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Joel Ritenour, Jan 7, 2024.

1. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I did not say that Harris will get quicker but he could, that's unknown. But I did state this "Najee has not had many long runs because he's been handcuffed by the Steelers playcalling and O Line deficiencies". You apparently don't believe that play calling has an affect on backs getting break away opportuities. Harris has not had many break away opportunities because of the Steelers offense in the last 3 years.

Hopefully, that will change with a new OC and changes along the O Line. I also noticed that many of Henry's break aways comes via sceen passes to the edge that allows him to get going.

2. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    I'm actually quite impressed with his progress this season. From the middle of last season through the first half of this season, I felt that Najee regressed and was quickly drifting into 1st round bust territory. Some of his regression was doubtlessly due in part to bad coaching and a failure to find schemes that fit with his style of running, but I also think he was just in an extended rut and that many of his apparent problems could be chocked up to feeling demoralized.

For whatever reason, though, Najee's trajectory has immensely improved over the last few games or so. Whether that's because our OC committee is doing a better job of employing his strengths or it's because Rudolph's improved passing threat has taken pressure off the front line by not allowing our opponents to stack the box every play or some combination of those things (most likely the latter) - it's working, because he's gone from laughably mediocre to one of the most productive RBs in the league in a matter of weeks.

Of course, playing less than stellar defenses have also likely been a factor, but that can't be the only reason, as Najee was playing poorly even against bad teams prior to his recent renaissance. I think by having back to back good games and playing for a QB he actually trusts has helped to get him out of his rut. Plus, Warren's success have lightened his work load, which has also clearly been to his benefit. Honestly, I now expect great things from him.

3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Names? Who?

Sorry to burst the bubble but this is a Steelers message board where opinions are shared whether you like them or not.

There are players i'm not fond with but I still want them to perform on Sunday, or Monday, Thursday, Saturday.
    There are coaches i'm not fond with, some I want gone.
    There is the owner who counts his green backs but did make the great decision and told Tomlin to get rid of Canada. I don't care what Dungy said its BS.

So buckle up and get used to it.

Doesn't make anyone less of a fan especially myself being over 50 years as one of the Steelers.

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think the last few games have seen a few different things that have helped Najee.

1. Better QB play has definitely opened up the offense and made teams fear the pass in a way that they didn't when 8 was QB.
    2. The Seahawks defense was the league's worst against the run, and the Ravens were resting starters. A lot easier to run when the opposition is not that good
    3. Stylistically we've seen a change in Najee's mentality. He has hit the hole harder, made a real effort to get north-south and stay that way, and put his head down and looked to play a power game rather than juking/hurdling.

Harris for the majority of his career has run very high, hesitated in the backfield to find holes, and looked to use a lot of finesse moves in the open field. It didn't fit his body type, as he continues to add size/muscle every year. Najee ran a 4.45 at the combine, but did that at 230 lbs. He is listed at 242 by the Steelers and is likely even bigger than that. At that size, he lost the speed and explosion he had at 230 to get that 40 result. He ran like that 230lb guy in a 245lb body and it just didn't work. He started to run like a 245lb man and its paid dividends for him. Najee isn't fast and he isn't explosive, but he IS huge. His lack of speed and get up is why he gets dropped like a 190lb back if he get hit at the line or behind the line. He doesn't have the momentum for him to "play big" and turn that -1/0 yard gain into 2-3 yards. Any hesitation he has before the LOS just exacerbates this problem. However he's played huge the past few weeks and hits the hole harder and drives north and south more. When he does this, his momentum and size make him VERY hard to bring down. He's had a bunch of plays where he drags dudes/fights for extra yardage and it is all because he's finally using that size to his advantage in his run style.

I don't think Harris has "developed/progressed", he's just made an effort to run a bit differently that he has in the past. I've said for the past year that if I were his RB coach, I would tell him that his move set should be ONLY power moves (lower the shoulder, stiff-arm, spin). I would have told Najee to hit the hole hard, and only use these moves. If he juked or hurdled, I would pull him on the spot and give Warren the rest of the series. Now, I get that is a bit extreme, but his propensity to "run small" has really hindered his ability to gain yards and its a huge reason why he's looked so pedestrian for a large chunk of the first 48 games of his 51 game career. The last 3 games have been great. He needs to continue to do more of it, because this style of play is even more valuable as the season goes on and into the playoffs. We likely only win any games this postseason if we can run the ball and run it well. We will need another big performance by Najee in Buffalo.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Reading the top of his post couldn’t help being reminded of this:

Well they'll stone you when you're trying to be so good;
    They'll stone you just like they said they would.
    They'll stone you when you're tryin' to go home;
    And they'll stone you when you're there all alone.

{Chorus}
    But I would not feel so all alone
    Everybody must get stoned!

Well they'll stone you when you're walkin' on the street,
    They'll stone you when you're tryin' to keep your seat,
    They'll stone you when you're walkin' on the floor,
    They'll stone you when you walk in through the door.

{Chorus}

They'll stone you when you're at the breakfast table.
    They'll stone you when you are young and able.
    They'll stone you when you're tryin' to make a book.
    They'll stone you and then they'll say good luck.

{Chorus}

Well they'll stone you and say that it's the end,
    Then they'll stone you and come back again.
    They'll stone you when you're riding in your car;
    They'll stone you when you're playing your guitar.

{Chorus}

Well they'll stone you when you are all alone.
    They'll stone you when you are walkin' home.
    They'll stone you and then say they're all brave,
    They'll stone you when you're sent down in your grave.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Love that song!

Rainy Day Women #12 & 35

Dylan did an interview in 2004 by Ed Bradley and stated he doesn't know how he wrote all those songs early in his career. Bradley asked if he could do it again. Dylan said No...

• Like Like x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Najee has been pounding it and has earned the 5th year option. I didn't think early on that was the case.
    I do believe that Derrick Henry has been a beast and in more then not has been virtually unstoppable. And has the breakaway speed that Najee doesn't have.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Henry at his peak was completely ridiculous, virtually unstoppable.

Najee has hit a purple patch since Mason came in and defences have to back off to account for the ball over the top. He has had a tough sled these past few seasons and maybe we are only now beginning to see his true potential

He is a better back than he has ever been given credit for but I don’t think he is as good as Henry who was truly special

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    It was amazing how many Steeler "Fans" were trying to run Najee out of town this season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Okay but bad play-calling or not when you do get into the open field Harris has not shown he can go the distance. I think his longest run is 37 yards whereas Henry has that at least once a game. I would change "Najee has not had many long runs" to Najee has never had long runs". Not saying he can't be usefull with his shorter runs but no caparisons to Henry.

Also Najee was handicapped with the play-calling and blocking schemes with the old OC but we are not talking about that but his ability to go the distance when he does occasionally get through the line and into the open field.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Isn't changing how he runs progress? Running small less is developing. Development at this level is more often mental than physical.

Also, Harris is making better cuts. I've seen some breakdowns of him setting up defenders even on runs inside. He can be shifty and that is good as long as he isn't hesitating too long and hitting the hole with power.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I've permitted the goal post to me moved but my original statement still stands. You stated that Henry was faster but that is not the case.

"Henry is Harris on Steroids, difference is Henry much faster and can score from 90 yards out where Harris will never.
    Actually Henry may be a little quicker but Harris is a little faster. Henry just have better blocking and schemes.

Harris 40 - 4.45
    Henry 40 - 4.54"

You seem to be driven by hypotheticals.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    On the field in full pads with the ball in his arms, Henry is faster.

14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Harris is far from anything resembling a problem.

The more info I have found from those around that circle the more I know that Harris was directly pointing at Canada and was probably instrumental in getting rid of that lice.
    Like many of the actual analysts, I always thought it was crazy to ask Harris to run east/west from a shotgun, that's Warren's gig.
    Harris has said he has changed from college habits of trying the bounce outside, which is not his strength.
    The 1/2 punch of Harris and Warren is dynamite.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

This is a good run here, good vision. I’ve seen him turn away from grand canyon size holes so this play here is really good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Lice, ouch :lolol:

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Harris has gotten better for sure, but he is no Henry. (does not have that last gear break away burst of speed, and I need to see him demolish players week in and week out)

We will have decisions to make in the offseason, as other threads earlier in the year mention. Someone earlier here said he earned his 5th yr option - no doubt he did. THAT was in doubt for a while, early in the season.

Warren will enter the last year of his contract. He will be given a nice contract this off-season. Will be very nice having this tandem in backfield again next season!

the Najee discussions could turn into LeVeon 2.0.

HOPE not , but could.

he will want a lot of MOOOLA!

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. Harris didnt hide his disdain for the treatment of RB’s. His negotiations may be difficult.

19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I guess you can tell I don't like him.
    He said something to one of my friends in the media.. really nasty.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That checks out with some of the things I was reading about him towards the end. Good riddance.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The question is if he will wait until they put the franchise tag on him to hold out or do it when they pick up the fifth-year option. This assumes he continues to play well enough for them to want to tag him.

Warren can't be the every-down back. I think last week's game demonstrated that. He is great in his current role and he will have days when he can take on a 20-touch role, but he can't do it on an every-game basis and he certainly can't do it in bad weather.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Warren is not a mudder - that is ALL that last week's game showed us. He was very sloppy with a wet football.

If Harris wants Top 3 RB $$, we WILL have problems.

Run him hard another 2 years and go back to the draft......

$14, $15 million a year - no thank you.......

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree regarding Harris.

Regarding Warren, a true No. 1 workhorse back has to be able to handle any conditions. Harris can. Warren cannot.

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1 or the other - long term, (we can start another SURVEY - LOL), I think I am in the Warren First camp.

love to see us find a way to keep them both around, for a long time - what a TANDEM force they could be. Can Najee lower his demand - or perceived demand - I guess.......wait for it......we will see!!!!

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He won't, but it won't matter unless he holds out. Between the fifth-year option and franchise tag, they could keep him for three more seasons. At that point, especially given his physical running style, it will be time to move on.