1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Mason a better fit for OUR receivers and AFC North football?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Dec 24, 2023.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Hey, you ended up being right :) good on you.

It sucks that you're right in some regard, because I had hoped Kenny would be a starting caliber QB... but he isn't. Rudolph is probably just better than Pickett. If we want to win in the future we will need a QB better than both of them ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think the problem is they pounded that conservative approach into his head so much that he became gunshy. Hopefully, that can be fixed, but it's far from a sure thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The entire team was horrible against the 49ers. Two other interceptions and the guy is horrible? Hell, Brock Purdy threw four last night. Pickett had great success attacking the middle of the field at Pitt. He, and the coaches, have to be willing to live with the occasional mistake and allow him to get back to that.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The only reason you felt that way is you had seen Roethlisberger do it many times. Pickett has done it, too, but not enough.

His arm is strong enough on deep passes. It is at least as strong as Rudolph's. It is timing and touch that make most deep throws work, not the cannon arm. Rudolph, who doesn't have a great arm, is proof of that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are right. It was two. Pickett has done the things you are talking about. He hasn't been making the big-play throws. The first touchdown to Pickens was one. The second touchdown was another, the type of throw Pickett needs to show he can hit. I was counting the one before the half, but it was nothing special. A special throw would have been a touchdown. Instead, he threw it short and too close to the sideline. It was catchable because Pickens made a spectacular play. The others are throws Pickett can make. He does need to get better at looking off defenders, but he's in year two and Ruidolph is in year six.

I wouldn't get overly caught up in height. Remember Dan McGwire? No? Exactly.

6. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Pickett right now is in the Aidan O'Connell, Tommy Devito, Mac Jones, Bryce Young, Zach Wilson, garbage bin of quarterbacks and not a single person in their right mind believes that kind of QB will lead us to SB ever, much less on rookie contract. It's over, albeit not officially.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    You are vested in Pickett somehow to be such a fan boy. I am not sure yet if Mason is the answer as I need to see more. However, I am 100 percent sure that Pickett is not. I have seen enough in 24 starts. Mason has shown me enough for me to say that he is the best qb on the team.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  8. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Two of KP’s weaknesses seem to be durability, not knocking his toughness, just his ability to stay healthy, which may be making him more and more jittery and unable to hang in the pocket

the second is his grip on the ball, which keeps him from getting more velocity and range

MR is better than him in these two things. Of course KP has the edge in mobility but Mason is proving he’s not a statue.

9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well, yes. But players can play well in games where the team looks like garbage... And yeah. It wasn't the interceptions that made him horrible, but they were a part of a stretch of football where he largely looked pretty bad. I think the coaching staff reigned in the offense because of it. That was kind of my argument.

Lots of players find success doing things in college that they don't find success doing in the pros. I think the coaches saw that the mistakes to the middle of the field weren't occasional, they were rampant. So in the name of winning the games, they did things a bit differently. Could it be something that stifles progress in Kenny? Yes. But it really looks like that is what happened. They were ready for Kenny to take a step forward and got scared that he performed so poorly in the middle of the field... So they tried making life easier on him and called more stuff short range and outside the numbers. Stuff they thought he could handle.

Purdy did play awful last night, he cost me my fantasy playoffs too :( ... But Purdy has largely been excellent as a starter. We can live with a rough game, I think we can agree that Kenny has been rough for much longer than a singular game. I'm not entirely sure how we fix it. Maybe we just cut the reigns off entirely and see what happens. Let him make the mistakes enough times to either learn from it or burn out in a blaze of glory. I think that is kind of what you are calling for, right? He needs to figure it out soon, because I think his chances to prove he can play in this league are running thin.

10. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Mason played really well against the Bengals... their defense sucks. Now, did he perform markedly better than both Trubisky and Pickett? Yes. I don't think there is much hope that Rudolph turns into the next "guy" at QB for us in the future. However, if he plays well again in Seattle, he might lock himself up another couple years as a back up.

Our QB of the future isn't on this roster unfortunately. How we go about finding that guy is anyone's guess at this point.

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, but his hands aren’t as big. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    The problem is that sometimes that “QB of the future” is in the far distant future. It was 20 years between Bradshaw and Ben. Hope it’s not that long between Ben and the next guy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What some people try to hide, or don't want to say....I won't say any names @Formerscribe ...LoL....is when Your Qbs have more ints, or the same amount of ints in their entire career.....is ....Yes they will try to drive into their head....stop turning the ball over....that's to any Qb. Don't make it seem like it's towards just KFP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    KFP doesn't have the same number of INT's as TD's because he throws a bunch of picks though. He has the same because he cant score TD's. There is probably a bit of a distinction there.

15. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Since Mason was willing and able to take deep shots downfield it opened up the running game as well as some shorter passes. The downfall of Cincy’s defense was their inability to adjust. They kept focusing on Friermuth since he burned them last time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Maybe he is, BUT I'd argue if we had an OC/HC calling for WR/TE routes deeper than 10 yards, all three QBs would have performed better than they have. This dink and dunk and throwing behind the LOS has gotten really old. Even my favorite college team was stuck doing this the past few years. I so missed Ben slinging it 50 yards, usually accurately.

I think the argument is we had QBs that couldn't be trusted to connect on passes further than 10 yards. IF so, then why in the heck did we draft/sign them? I don't blame the QBs, I blame Tomlin and his OCs.

We should be aggressive on BOTH sides of the ball. The occasional sack can be tolerated waiting on that big throw. I'd rather play that way than throw -4 yard screens and non-stop 4 yard curl routes with NO CHANCE of getting more yards after the catch with a WR coming BACK to the LOS. I mean, a six year old kid knows that doesn't work playing touch football, why do we do it in the pros and college? The only way those playcalls work is if you have a MASSIVE talent advantage (and pro teams DO NOT in most cases).

Think of the first week or two of college football, when power teams are playing lower division OOC teams and scoring 60 points only to lay an egg in first conference game with same gameplan.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    And to add to this if it 3rd and 7 don’t run a 6 yard curl pattern

Muth did this last game and we had to punt

It’s not like it’s a well rehearsed timing pattern Muth/Mason only had a few days together

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    "Scoring 30+ 10+ in NFL is a fluke, it does not happen often."

I fixed it for ya to conform to the Tomlin Standard.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I think it is a terrible hold over from Canada's idea that everything along the LOS or to the sideline is safe. Others have posted pass charts of the Steelers and they ignore the center of the field , they have the entire season ,their passing chart looks like 3 sides of a square.
    Other teams use the middle of the field with crossing routes to allow the QB to make short throws to a WR or TE who is right in front of him not 25 or 30 yds away.
    Its just a brutally bad scheme , the last game with Rudolf and the game after they finally fired Canada they used the entire field and had much better success.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have watched KFP thru his college years and now this past year and a half, he is playing way
    to tight, afraid to make mistakes. This has to change, I can't wait till a competent OC/play caller
    is brought in for the benefit of all QB's and receivers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Jeh, you okay, man? I was worried you may have had a stroke after reading this.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    It would appear the spell checker on my iPhone got into the wine cellar

I’m good :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    The sooner they cut Trubisky, the better. About the only thing Rudolph and Pickett can learn from him is how to throw game losing interceptions

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Come on man! I gave my Jersey away for free.

25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You know that saying, what a difference a day makes. I got a bad feeling we may be saying what a difference a week makes. Although, I would be thrilled if Mason does it again but being in Seattle is a whole different animal then home in the Burgh against a Burrow less Bengal team.

That said if we win today and Mason looks decent I see no reason why he just can't win 7 in a row and party in Vegas;)

• Like Like x 1