1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Mason a better fit for OUR receivers and AFC North football?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Dec 24, 2023.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I thought Mason played well against the Bengals, but I wouldn't be surprised if he struggled against Seattle if he gets the start, that's a tough place to play and the Steelers have only won there once.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Oddly enough, I think there is a good chance Rudolph would have completed that throw. Going deep with Trubisky in that situation made no sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I hope so too.

The highest paid and least reliable back up in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019

Describe "Flacco" please.

I'm down with it

5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

as a STEEERS FAN, I HOPE it is a sign of the future - i hope he lights it up for the next 2 weeks and we have some HOPE entering 2024 - cuz i have no confidence with Pickett right now....

• Like Like x 1
  6. rush58

rush58 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2023
    a veteran qb against a depleted team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe so. I look at those deep passes he missed a little differently. I think the more time he has to work with the ones the better his timing will become. Had he hit Austin (which was PI by the way) and DJ we’d be talking about a 400 yard night and not a 300 yard night. I’m trying to contain my enthusiasm, but in light of the suck fest we’ve seen at QB this season Mason looked Brady-esque. Humor me, will ya? ;):lolol:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Pickens is fast. I don't recall anyone catching him from behind once he gets a step on them. But Mason did a great job by hitting receivers in stride to make plays like that possible

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I didn't realize how fast he was until that 86 yard run for the TD. He just coasted the last 20 yards and no one was gaining on him. Being 6'4" and being able to run like that is just crazy.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    No question, he's an incredible talent

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Pickens is no Randy Moss. Not even Santonio Holmes. Nowhere near Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Plaxico Burress, Antwaan Randle El, Antonio Brown....need I go further?

12. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    With only two left they need to play MR and if we don’t make the playoffs let’s not give up on him. Good coaching ( we know that is a rarity in this organization) but stranger things have happened. And him throwing the ball a hell of a lot of times, things really click with him. Just my humble opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Martavious Bryant was crazy fast too

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    This is the first time Pickens had a QB to throw the ball to consistently. Sure I think he has an attitude but that is the head coach’s job to turn it around and the fastest way to do that is to play him more. He is what we have and that is the only thing we can work with. The guys you mentioned were great but that was yesteryear.

15. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    The thing is that Rudolph is much harder to defend than Pickett because he has an accurate deep ball. Defenses have to keep safety help back or they can get burned for TD. This opens up underneath routes and running game. With Pickett, defenses can just ignore the deep ball and play him like they played Ben in his last year. Run game and everything else suffers. Flacco was terrible as a QB but had a good deep ball and won games (including against Steelers) during his playoff run with accurate deep balls when he did nothing rest of the game..

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Several that I mentioned were Champions. Of the Super Bowl variety. Don't see Pickens ever achieving that status.

17. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Exactly this to me.

And i really want to see him play next week. I know what Kenny gives us. And I don't see him winning the next 2. Therefore let's see what Mason has to offer. That way we know how to change things in the off season.

18. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    The problem with Kenny not having a deep ball is that it’s not only easier to defend but the offense doesn’t get yards in chunks. In order to score the offense has to string together 6 or 7 first downs in a row. The odds of that happening are low. That’s a big reason why Steelers will always be a low scoring offense with Kenny. He is too old to develop an accurate deep ball. That seems to be an inborn talent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This, man. I think there are some here that are employing a double standard when it comes to MR. It was only a month ago after the fist Bengals match-up, when the KP doubters were on here saying "but it was against one of the worst defenses in the league, so it doesn't count". Why does MR get a pass for going against that same defense? And without their primary run-stopper.

I'm genuinely happy for the kid, I'm glad he (maybe) exorcised that demon of whether he could start. But putting all confidence in Rudolph right now is short-sighted. Let's see how he does against a real defense first.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The offense on Saturday actually looked like a competent NFL offense and it was far and away the best offensive performance we’ve seen in two seasons. I don’t remember when I’ve actually enjoyed watching a Steelers game this much and I’m sure there are many here who feel the same. I don’t think ANYBODY could’ve watched that game Saturday and come away from it thinking anything else!

Nobody’s saying that Rudolph is the next coming of Bradshaw or Ben, but give the guy some credit. It wasn’t a perfect game but it was the best full game we’ve seen from a quarterback in two seasons. When the Bengals scored and then converted on the 2 point conversion to make it 24-8, I got preoccupied for a few minutes with a family gathering. When I came back it was 31-8 (I missed the 66 yard pass to Pickens) and I was thinking this is like the Ben to AB days with the ability to strike quickly! Just enjoy it, guys, and let’s see how far Rudolph can take us. He may fall flat in Seattle and he may ball out again. But he’s earned another start for sure!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Pickett can throw a deep ball. He did at Pitt, and there's no reason for me to believe he can't in the NFL. The problem is, he's been afraid to even try. It's time for Tomlin to take the handcuffs off of Pickett, and let him rip it downfield

23. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I agree, it felt and looked that way. If he goes into Seattle and has the pocket presence and good decision making again then you have to think seriously about him as your solution. You can't teach pocket presence at this level, you either have it or you don't. The game can slow down but your sixth sense so to speak in the pocket is either in-ate or not!!

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If We are going by college....like You are here....compared to Mason...it's not close. Actually if You want to go by any of the college football with all 3 Qbs....Mason is way better. So Mason's stats in college are better, and on the Steelers are better. What do people need???

25. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Well, nobody is another Randy Moss, no shame there. But for raw talent, he's right up there with any of the other guys you've mentioned, it's just a matter of him realizing his full potential. They need to throw to him more, he's already shown that he can be a game breaker when they do

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1