1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kazee suspended for the rest of the year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hanratty#5, Dec 18, 2023.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I still cannot believe this was upheld. During the game Rich Eisen mentioned twice that Kazee launched himself. They didn't show the replay, but Kazee's feet never left the ground. It was a text book hit leading with his shoulder.

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not saying the suspension is or isn't justified. With that said, it doesn't matter where he was aiming or his intent. The NFL has said repeatedly the onus is on defensive players to not hit the head. Even if it's not the area of initial contact, there can be no contact with the head or neck area of a defenceless receiver.

I don't know what Kazee could have done differently. I guess like others have said, he needed to lay off and hope the WR didn't catch the ball. Not much else you can do with a guy diving for the ball. Or maybe slow up and then try and punch the ball out. A big hit is just not possible in that situation, not anymore. I miss the big hits of old too, but it's mostly gone.

3. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I look at the league's response as a subtle jab (not so much) about our chances. As in "<snicker snicker> sure, you can return for the playoffs"

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    I saw a still picture that made it look like a clean hit

I just saw another where the head has gone back and the face mask has gone up

So I guess that is a hit to the head and therefore a Bozo No No

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I saw that last night. What a joke. They get to say they reduced it without doing anything meaningful because the Steelers aren't going to make the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    2025 version of the Renegade scoreboard video

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Eisen had former player and current executive Troy Vincent on to talk about this. I didn't see it, but a friend told me about it. Vincent said that the punishment was so harsh because Kazee is a repeat offender and also argued that he made no effort to go for the ball. That is where Vincent loses me. Kazee was trying get to the ball with his shoulder, but failed to get low enough. He as going for the ball.

My theory is that Vincent is trying to back up the game officials, who ejected Kazee without justification. There is no targeting rule in the NFL. They over-reacted because it looked bad. Once they did that, the league either had to admit that the game officials over-reacted or treat it like a foul. If they treat it like a foul, they have to suspend him due to his history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He laid out Pittman earlier in the game on a clean hit but he hit him so hard I was sure it would be flagged. I was surprised when it wasn’t called.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I mentioned this in another comment. Troy Vincent said it did matter what Kazee was trying to do. He claimed that Kazee wasn't even trying to go for the ball, which isn't true. Intent did matter.

That said, you are right. They are mostly legislating those big hits out of the game.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    I remember when Jack Lambert accidentally knocked a ref out of the game with a hit to the head

A backhand when Jack was excited and the red walked up behind him and while waving his arms the red got whacked

I think it was in Cleveland

No penalty

11. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Would’ve been a suspension for a Steeler player

13. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Agree a little salt to the wound or out of spite!!

14. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Kazee now eligible to return for the Playoffs..... LOL