1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kazee suspended for the rest of the year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hanratty#5, Dec 18, 2023.

1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    In the playoffs you do. Especially if a team isn't afraid of the opponent's power play. The other issue is NHL officials are loath to call penalties in the playoffs unless they are ones were they have no choice like calling a delay of game for a puck over the glass. You can figure each team will get three power plays a game, other than that, it's have at it, boys. the other thing I really hate is the unwritten rule where it allows less talented teams to mug and cheap shot the other team's stars and likely get away with it. Either way, both leagues are hypocritical in the way head injuries are handled.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The suspension seems excessive, the hit wasn't helmet to helmet :shrug:.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It was excessive. I swear, sometimes I think the league makes an example of the Steelers more often than it should because it knows the Rooneys are loathe to push back.

Rich Eisen defended Kazee's hit, too, with pretty much the same reasoning as Tom Brady. He called Minshew's pass a hospital ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    just pull his flag next time.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I think that any quarterback that gives indication that he's going to start sliding or going to go out of bounds but then continues to run the ball after that point should be ruled down at the point he made the motion like he was going to go down or out of bounds. I've seen it abused in the manner you say several times as well. Quarterback is running up the middle of the field and sort of leans back like he's going to slide and then he jukes to a side and takes off running again to pick up more yards. It's a BS move that's really quite impossible to defend against. He's either going to draw an unnecessary roughness penalty or he's going to get extra yards.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes, it's going to draw the flag, but even from no slow motion you can tell he gets all ball with his shoulder. The ball shoots out straight down faster than both of them going to the turf.

So his initial point of contact is hands and ball. Only because he's flying does he contact head at all.

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    This was not an ejection...

Neither was this a penalty

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  8. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I have seen worse. I think kazee was already under a microscope and can be used as an example for the rest of the league. No huge fuss at his suspension as the Steelers are not in the hunt. So the NFL took the opportunity to say chill. Probably had something to do with all of the QB injuries around the league this year as well. Putting defenses on notice.

9. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Then it has to be called consistently and as another poster said then an offensive player that dives for a ball like that must be ruled immediately down regardless of contact which in itself will change the game to pitch and catch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    just put flags on them that hit was awesome the ---Steelers way ---and yet he gets punished for it

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I bet the pansies that are making these rules never put on a jock strap in their lives. Was Kazee just suppose to freeze in suspended animation in a fraction of a second running at full speed and let the receiver dive right into his knees? Obviously, these people know nothing about physics, or consider a defensive players safety. I think Kazee did a great job by potentially saving a both their careers by avoiding head to head contact by getting low enough to hit him with his shoulder

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  12. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    This league has turned into a big baby. We now have players even being like the NBA with getting flags.

13. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Chalk up another reason to hate the new nfl. Its turning into powder puff two hand touch. My favorite Steeler game of all time was the 2008 AFC championship game against Ravens. One of toughest hitting games of all time and we knocked their rb out on a pass over the middle. Real football. The snowflake generation has taken over and its scary how much political correctness is ruining society.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't like the rule and I strongly disagree with how it was interpreted in this case, but the ruling came from NFL Vice President for Football Operations Jon Runyan, who played 14 seasons in the NFL. I'm sure Goodell can always step in and maybe he did in this case, but former NFL players are involved in these decisions.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The former NFL players that work for the NFL are going to parrott the company line in order to stay employed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So they are saying....if it's a bad throw, and the Wr has to dive for it.....You must let Him catch it. LoL. It's Bull$hit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    That is exactly what Shannon Sharpe and Jeff Saturday said today. You cannot separate the receiver from the ball anymore. You have to let him catch the ball and then try to tackle them or touch them down if it is a diving catch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Runyan made approximately 46 million dollars in his NFL career. He served two terms in the U.S. House of Representatives. Yeah, he's desperate to keep that paycheck coming in. :lolol:

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    Ok he doesn't need the money but that doesn't mean he isn't a company guy. The fact that he served in the US Congress makes me even more distrustful of him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    yep.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    That is a much bigger problem in the NFL. Inconsistent refereeing. There is too much emphasis on getting every call. Some refs are good and seem to have a god's eye that lets nothing get past them, while others appear to be blind. I think that the NFL needs to tone the refereeing back a bit and let the players play. It will create more consistency in penalties called (or not called), and might reduce these drives where penalties make up 80% of the yardage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It makes me more confident that he would be arrogant enough to do whatever the hell he pleases. The point is these decisions are not made without former players involved.

23. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I’m guessing player history had a large part in Kazee’s enhanced punishment.

Damonte Kazee: quite the rap sheet.
    IMG_4998.png

Tyrel Dotson: no history.

Za’Darius Smith: not much.
    IMG_4999.png

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Player history played a big role in it, but that doesn't mean it was justified for this hit, when he was aiming his shoulder at the ball and just didn't get low enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Suspension reduced by the nfl

He is now allowed to return for the playoffs

If there are any

Seriously

• Like Like x 1