1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

CFP Possibilities

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by Steel_Elvis, Nov 6, 2023.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Holy **** auburn choked

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    4th and goal from the 31 and auburn gives up the td

3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Auburn falling in line to not upset the set up for the good ol boy network

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Things are taking shape. Rivalry games are a *****, but most survived them. Obviously there are a few teams with “win and in” situations:

1. Georgia; 2. Michigan; 3. Washington all get in as undefeated teams with a conference championship game win.

What happens with FSU? Will the Committee treat their situation as win and in without their QB, or will they use the injury as a reason to put a one loss team ahead of them? That was a gritty win vs. Florida yesterday coming from 12 down to win in the 4th quarter with a backup QB. Quite frankly, FSU looked better in the 2nd half vs. Florida than Alabama did vs. an Auburn team that’s at a similar level to Florida.

Also hanging out there is the fact that Texas owns a head to head tiebreaker over Alabama. I think Texas will win the Big 12 championship game, and do so by 14+ points. I also think that Oregon will beat Washington in the rematch and make a strong case to be included.

Here’s my big concern with where college football is headed with a 12 team playoff. First, Michigan and Ohio State would have already been in the 12 team tournament prior to yesterday’s great game. Second, Alabama would have already been in a win and in situation in the SEC championship prior to yesterday’s Iron Bowl. Third, FSU would have been playing yesterday knowing that they could lose and still get in with a win in the conference championship game. Having a 12 team playoff would have made yesterday much less exciting. Yesterday was like the opening round of the playoffs with so many teams needing to win. I guess the counterpoint to that could be that yesterday would have been more exciting for the one, two and three loss teams that are already out of CFP contention, so maybe teams like Mizzou and LSU would have been playing for their playoff hopes. I guess we’ll see next year. Should be interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    4 12-0 teams should be win and in.

2 11-1 teams that could be win and in. If Oregon beats Washington, and if Bama beats Georgia.

11-1 Texas could win and still need help.

On the Jordan Travis situation at FSU....If we are not punishing the Michigan players for the coach cheating, how do we punish the FSU players because their QB got injured? I can't understand why this is even being brought up as an issue.

6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Curious why you have Alabama as win and in, but have Texas as needing help. Would you choose Alabama over Texas?

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Unbelievable!

8. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    SEC Champ always gets in. At least, I think that's his rationale.

9. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    That is a twist.
    1. Texas has the head to head win @Bama so Texas should be in over Bama.
    2. Bama would be 2-1 vs ranked opponents. Texas would be 2-1 vs ranked opponents. With a win head to head, advantage Texas.

Even with using logic and math…

No way will the committee leave the SEC out of the CFP. Do you put in the 1loss conference winner or 1loss conference loser? Both could still get in. I think Texas needs to win and Bama and Washington need to both lose.
    Just my own conspiracy.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Washington is in. 3 spots remaining. Texas is getting it done so far today, despite the bad interception that Ewers just threw. Until that interception he had been making some nice decisions and throws. This is funny- my iPhone wants to change “Ewers” to “sewers.” I think he needs to have a talk with Apple lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hope Texas gets in. I knew Washington would. We don't need 2, or 3 teams in the SEC to get in to hope for a win. One will do, and most believe that. That's why they pray they can keep them out. LoL. Best chance to stop the SEC from winning another one .....is to keep the SEC out. LoL. The Big 10 had two in last year, and still failed to win. LoL

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That is what I am assuming will happen if Bama beats Georgia.

Texas is on their way to a blowout OSU win, and that could keep Bama out if they barely beat Georgia. If Texas puts up 70 points, I don't think Bama can jump them. (Currently on pace to score 70)

That halftime DR Pepper throw was funny seeing as it looked like neither contestant had ever thrown a football before as they were throwing the football like a basketball with both hands; like a 2 handed set shot. They are at a Football game, do they really not know how to throw a football?

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    They all do that because it’s a faster way to throw a bunch of footballs through the hole.

15. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    The level of competition says it all. OSU vs TX compared to UGA vs BAMA is telling.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Dont forget Michigan vs Iowa

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Alabama bound and determined to throw a monkey wrench into the system….up 17-7 at halftime

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    SANKEY SUCKS BALLS
    refs doing everything to help lowtide

19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    And that fumble will do it…

20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Crazy... I can't imagine college football playoffs without an SEC team.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Alabama will be in unless FSU wins very convincingly with a backup QB. The committee’s out on eliminating FSU is that they can’t be one of the 4 best teams in the country without Travis. Of course a Michigan loss creates some interesting chaos as well.

22. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Texas is better than lowtide

23. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    puhlease stop that is not possible this year
    fkn media bs

24. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Hate to disappoint you guys… but if Fla St loses… Ga and Alabama is in

• Like Like x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I can't imagine they would keep an undefeated FSU team out.

I would think Alabama would have need a bigger win today to jump Texas; a team that beat them earlier this year.