1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by Rollers, Apr 25, 2023.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I lived in Denver during coach Bill McCartney's tenure at the University. I believe that was the last time the Buffs were truly relevant. Well now they have Deion Sanders as the head coach. 13 players entered the portal. Here's what Sanders told them in his first meeting with the team

When Deion Sanders walked into Colorado's meeting room for the first time, he told players that the more of them that enter the transfer portal, the more room they'll make for players who are "smart, tough, fast, [and] disciplined with character."

It looks like they took him up on that offer. You may want to change the complexion of your team over time but to do this is just insane. Folks are already upset with him. He better win big this year or he could be gone after one season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Doubtful. He’s taking over with players he didn’t recruit that don’t necessarily fit what the new coaching staff wants to do.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm sure He will get every opportunity. THIS is the same man that somehow made everyone believe He was the greatest football player that ever lived....even though He wasn't even the best corner to play. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    18 more entered the portal right after the spring break. That's 41 guys that have taken him up on his offer to leave via the portal. I don't recall that many leaving any program due to a coaching change where they weren't recruited by the head coach taking over.

5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    the transfer portal hasn’t exactly been around a long time. You’re also talking players from a 1-11 team. if you’re trying to change the culture of a program that’s had one ONE winning season in two decades…

6. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    I get that. He can be whatever kind of coach he wants to be. That's up to him. We will see how it works at this level. I in Colorado during Coach McCartney's run. I think that's the last time they were really relevant for any length of time. So you're right he may be trying to change the culture. Seems a strange way to do it. 41 players leaving should be a concern.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agreed with @strummerfan .... unless Dr. DiStefano, Chancellor for the University of Colorado as well as the boosters really want to be the doormats of the PAC 12 (or whatever it will be called post realignment) once again.

Deion is making good on his word though; weed out the weak and find the best available players on the team thus far. For that matter.. I would have imagined that both Deion and the entire Colorado Coaching Staff should have seen this coming. It is fair to state that they were not fully prepared for this due to the NCAA Transfer Portal but within the same token... Deion and his staff were left with no choice.

Again, Colorado has been in either mediocrity or the doormat of the PAC 12 for some time now. Hiring someone that knows how to win in Deion was likely the best option. We will have to wait and see if Deion was the correct choice or not but the fact remains is that no team cannot accept losing; doubly so from a major College Institution.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Thiefery

Thiefery Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Not sure why Deion is getting so much flak because of the roster change.. it's crazy for almost any other P5 program to do but if you get down to the roots of this thing... This team won only 1 game a year ago.. and it was competitive only one other time besides the win..

Deion has a complete mulligan this year.. if he somehow wins 3 games it would be a dramatic improvement. There is no culture there and he's trying to create it.. even if he just has 25 scholarship guys..those are his guys.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He’s going to have a team with mostly corners. @S.T.D will love it!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Could be worse. When Bobby P was our HC for the Razorbacks....all He cared about was Wrs. I think 70% of our D wasn't even from committed high-school players.....they were all ex juco players. LoL.

11. Thiefery

Thiefery Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2019
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Woodson two-six

Woodson two-six Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2019

This is all just my opinion, having been a PAC 10/12 fan for the past 4 decades, but "Coach Prime" is gonna have a rude awakening. Yes he is bringing in some very good talented young guys but..... they are all; 1) young/inexperienced and 2) all Backs ("backs" refers to all players that are not Lineman). Very few of these "highly rated" players are trench players on either side of the LOS. And as it's going right now, Coach Prime might be wheelin' around in a wheel chair on the sideline. You can bet that every team in the PAC 12 is going to boat race the Buffs this year. Break their will!

Go Beavs! Go Steelers!

13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Report: Colorado to join the Big 12 as Texas and Oklahoma depart (yahoo.com)
    There were many reports on this move, but the first line is laughable. If a team who has not had a winning record for decades is your money maker, you are in deep trouble.Both the Pac 12 and Big 12 are trying to stay relevant, One report suggests Connecticut join the Big 12, Yippee. For men's and women's BB it might help, but football is what drives media bucks and there just isn't anything out there to bring these conferences into national spotlight.

I think long term USC and UCLA will want several more teams in the west, I know they have to be research facilities so i do not know if Oregon or Washington fit, Standford and CAL would be like adding Northwestern and Rutgers. In the end there will likely be 2 super conferences for football, the other 3 will get the scraps hoping to get a couple of play off births.

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I actually don't like all the moving, but I think there should be only 4 conferences, and everyone should fit into them.

15. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    The problem is the media rights and how long they are, and the unattractive schools who are attached to their respective conferences. I think eventually they will work out something similar to the AFC/NFC model. You may not even have much interconference play, but the conference championship games will dissolve, 4 first round byes, each conference getting a 2nd spot and they give bids to the rest. Highest ranked gets home field first round, 2nd round home field to to the byes, then use the traditional bowls as they do now. Do the 12 still use holiday bowls if defeated? Just fill them with conference affiliations? I'll likeby be gone so i don't care, lol. l

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    When are the playoffs moving to more games??? Was it this year , or in a few more???

17. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    So many problems with the current college football format. At least in the NFL every team starts from the same place. In college, if your team starts outside the preseason top20, you have no chance. I would like to see conferences dissolved altogether. Let each university stand on it's own. I think we would still have dynasty schools, but a much more level playing field on the whole.

Another opinion is using basketball's model. Win your conference and you're in the playoff. Every conference at least gets a participant to keep it interesting. 10 conference winners and 6 at large. That's only 2 more games.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They are going to that pretty much when they expand the playoffs to 12 teams in I believe 2024

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    They will..to a certain point. With the recent changes it looks like we have 2 power conferences coming, an OK conference (ACC), and leftovers in the Big 12. PAC 12 is done. Was listening this morning to some commentary, the ACC still has mega years left on it's ESPN contract, but the play off deal up for grabs in a couple of years. The comments were essentially, how will the money drive the format, will the big conferences leave the NCAA and form a new goliath, will the squeeze we saw on Oregon st and Washington st now become internal within conferences?? Contracts and history be damned, money is going to drive this...will the networks demand kicking out the perpetual losers like Rutgers, Northwestern, and others to form a couple of conferences in the AFC/NFC mold??? It might be more than 32 teams, but I think you can pair it down to biggest 'college' markets (not always biggest population necessarily), and of course major markets and states. Does it get revamped as two 30 team (give or take) leagues/conferences??? Basically the rest just forming another type 1A league?? I personally hate it, but follow the money..and the money is not in a lot of current college geographics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    JMO..., but if You follow the history of college football...even before our time....You will see its been heading slowly this way. Think of how much different it was just 20 years ago.

21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    There has been an element of change for sure. There was a time late 60's even 70's where some conferences (big 10 was one) forbade all teams except the conference champ from playing in a bowl..which was the Rose Bowl. There were 2 polls UPI (coaches) and AP (sports writers) that produced the champion, sometimes different. As was discussed on several programs today though it is the money that is driving it. IDK the whole truthfulness, but with title 9 and equal scholarship requirement, some of these schools only have one to 3 sports that are profitable, the conference TV money from football keeps a lot of those going. With no broadcast revenue, Cal, Stanford, Oregon St, and Wash St are in a dilemma.

• Like Like x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Corners who can’t tackle

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You can run all over them, but You can't pass....unless it's a screen. LoL

24. strummerfan