1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawand Jones

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Animus, Feb 6, 2023.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Oh absolutely not. Broderick Jones Jr for me is still my number one OT heading into the draft. Paris Johnson Jr has the better ceiling but Jones Jr is the better talent. Both are raw but Broderick's resume to me is more impressive than Johnson Jr's despite Broderick having only played 22 games as a whole.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Wright is better today. Broderick has greater potential. Personally, I'd take Broderick at 17. Wright at 32.

• Like Like x 2
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Red flags stay away from this guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    As a Buckeye I have seen every snap the kid has taken

He is my guy

I would love him at 32.... but i would be ok at 17

I think there is a good chance he ends up with either the Steelers, Ravens, Bengals, or Chiefs

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    No way should they draft him at #17 or #32, they guy refused to be weighed at his pro day, he must be out of shape and he hasn't even gotten paid yet.

6. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

You think they can't see he is huge but need s scale to tell them?

HACK

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Or he's lazy, and hasn't been working out probably out of shape, not interested in him at all.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I totally get the worry about his weight. I can just tell you that he is a mauler and is actually pretty athletic for a man that size

I'm going to quote a draft profile report

"NFL Comparison
    Max Starks

Overview
    Tackle with poor athlete traits, but rare size and length whose massive frame can work for him in pass protection and against him in the run game. He is a waist-bender with shoddy footwork and a tendency to play too straight-legged. These physical limitations create a much smaller likelihood for recovery once he's beaten. With that all said, he typically gets guys blocked and he clearly understands how to use his size and length to his advantage. His physical traits and nasty demeanor give him a chance to become a decent starting right tackle if he can be coached to lessen his physical deficiencies and can keep his weight in check."

That player was Orlsndo Brown Jr who was taken in round 3

Jones is rated higher than Brown was coming out and his NFL comparison is todays Orlando Brown

So I do understand the reservations, but I think best case you get a guy who puts it all together to end up at LT... at worst he eats himself out of td league... but most likely you get an 8 to 10 year starting RT

HACK

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020
    Not sure yet if Jones should be our guy........but I would prefer us to have a big mauler type at RT as opposed to Chuks. It would only help us more in the run game.

If we did draft him, and if he takes that RT job away, let Dan Moore and Chuks battle it out at LT.

I doubt that will happen though. I think if we go OLINE early, it will most likely be a LT to battle Moore directly.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    If I was worried about anything it would be his height tbh. I can see DL's getting underneath of him and pushing him back at the pro level. I saw him in videos with Tomlin and interviews of him at his pro day, he doesn't look overweight in my book. If we're worried about his weight then we really need to be concerned with Nate Herbig. Dawand looks far more in shape than him. And TBH, I'm really not that worried about Nate Herbig. Just brought him up for comparison's sake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    jones gets the job done.:cool:

12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    No no no.

he’s a mammoth human being, but not worth a 1st or 2nd round pick. Let him be someone else’s bust.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    as hack said and i agree as i have too watched him every week, he gets the job done. weidl likes big linemen for the most part. :cool:

14. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Please not this big lineman. He refused to work out and be weighed. That should be a red flag for anyone considering this guy. I do not like him at all as a player

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i really expect for a good but a guy that can be coached up if you will. maybe saldiveri from old dominion. :cool:

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe MT took them to dinner just to see how much the kid eats. :shrug::smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I think this guy would be a great choice in the 7th round

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    As to him not working out or weighing in . If i was his agent I would have told him not to as well

His tape and combine have him as a late first or second rounder.. nothing he does will put him higher on the list. But could make him fall a few rounds

He had nothing to gain and lots to lose

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Jones skipped the drills at the combine, then at his pro day refused to be weighed, and skipped the drills again if there's no injury then teams should be concerned.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

He is 6'8" 375 lbs. He is not going to light the drills on fire.

At that size
    He is not going to run fast
    he is not going to be agile

With arms that long he will not put up big bench numbers

He would have to put up record breaking numbers to improve his draft status.

There is just no reason for him to do it

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    This whole post is fire. Spot on.

He was probably just doing what he was told by his agent, for better or for worse. What is he going to say? I don't want to risk hurting my draft stock with numbers that don't compare to the other guys? His best traits are his massive size and he is a technically sound player. That's why he has first round value in some people's eyes. If it does make him fall, I'm cool with him falling right in our laps at 32 after we take a CB at 17.

Casey Hampton repeatedly showed up to camp every year way out of shape and he was a really good player. Who is to say he is out of shape anyways? His frame holds 375lbs like a beast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree about the red flag....I do think He was pretty good, but again....I totally agree about the whole red flag stuff....I'm scared of Him, and don't want Him as a high draft pick. Red flag guys are for later in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That was way later in Hamptons career....not while He was trying to change His life ,and be drafted. If He's that lazy now.....with all that money on the line....what will He be like after He's paid????:shrug:
    Think about it.

24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Who is to say he's lazy tho? Just because he didn't weigh, doesn't mean he's gained weight. People trying to make an angle out of anything. Just because player X didn't do whatever, it MUST mean SOMETHING. He's likely just doing what his agent told him, not being lazy. Its up to our FO to make sure we know which one it is.

He's going to battle his weight his whole career. Now, next year, when he's 30..... Its just who he is genetically. All that I care about is if we believe that he will work to keep it down playing for the Steelers. If the answer is yes, then I have no reservations taking him. If its no, then don't.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's a red flag He wouldn't even get on the freaking scale. He hasn't worked out once for anyone. That doesn't bother You at all???

• Agree Agree x 1