1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where Steelers are missing the Boat

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Watching these teams this weekend and reflecting on the Steelers season and where we are falling short it became obvious to me.

We need more coaches! We need more coaches for so many reasons. We should look at coaches sort of the same way as we do players. Bring young innovative ones in and promote from within. We get them acclimated to the culture which only builds the franchise. You see that amongst some of these teams with younger coaches like San Farancisco, LA and Miami. Teamslike the Steelers and Patriots kind of have an old and tired feel. Tomlin and Belicheck while great coaches can’t do it all by themselves.

A perfect example of bringing in outside talent (albeit not a young and upper comer) was Brian Flores. More and more is coming out on how he impacted the defense this year and individual players both on Offense and Defense one example being Kenny Picket. I doubt we turn the run defense around this year without Flores.

I think we have a long up and comer on our defense already with our defensive back coach. We just need to look to add to the offense this offseason. Look at the impact Griese had on Purdy in San Francisco. Could somebody like him be a candidate for Pass Game Coordinator and if he has learned a lot from the SF culture perhaps he could be next in line to be our offensive coordinator if Canda doesn’t work out.

I feel like the Steelers are trying to catch up with the times and be a little more innovative with the Canada hire actually being a testament to that.... but I feel like we are doing it tentatively and just dipping our toes in the water.

Obviously looking at the teams this weekend they are clearly more talented than the Steelers but I think we all miss the boat on what those teams bring to the table from a coaching perspective as well. With that being said I think we are a heck of a lot closer to these teams at this point than we were last year at this time. If we add to the coaching staff and by luck retain Flores for one more year and knock it out of the park in the draft and retain our key free agents I think we will like the Jaguars were this last year. Highly competitive yet probably a year away from seriously contending. By that time The Bengals and Chiefs and Bills will more than likely be hamstrung by their Cap and it will be time for us to take our rightful position again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    This may be, but one thing some of these playoff teams have in common with Steelers is piz poor clock management. Cincy stunk up the joint on Sunday with horrible clock management at end of 1st half and at game end. Penalties aside, they could have easily won that game. OK, now back to Steelers related talk.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I don’t know if the Steelers are any better. The best to ever do it from what I have seen was Tom Brady and Belicheck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The old adage about too many cooks in the kitchen seems applicable here.

5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Pittsburgh has 17 coaches.
    Cincinnati uses 20 coaches
    The Patriots use 18 coaches which will increase for 2023 to 19 or 20.
    It seemed like Bruce Arians had 30 coaches when he took over Tampa.. I know it's an exaggeration.
    Arians was tasked with changing the culture there and he put eyes (coaches) everywhere to address that.

Flores future here is a question mark.
    I think it is a question of who will hire him, Denver can't get anyone so maybe they look at Flores.

Tomlin and company should look to add quality where possible.
    They can even tap the NFL/Coaching Fellowship to add/tryout some of the young minds from that program.

6. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    We also need more scouts. The Steelers have the smallest scouting department of any team in the NFL.

More scouting resources = better draft picks and better FA signings.

7. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    How did the Bengals screw up the end of the 1st half? I'm not doubting you but was moving around and only halfway watching the end of the 1st half. Would love to know.

8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    More doesn't mean better. Championships are not won because of your junior assistant run blocking coordinator.

• Like Like x 1
  9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    That is not true. The bengals have the smallest scouting department

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And what proof do you have of these claims

Or is this more Benny Bull****

11. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022

Maybe we just need BETTER coaches, not more of them. We know Canada should have been fired, but he remains to offer up bad scheming and playcalling. The OL is still bad, even if it looked "better" the second half of the season. The defense was solid, and maybe good if Watt was injured half the year. The ILB position has to be improved any and every way possible.

Offense needs at least ONE new plug n play OL, preferably LT, LG or even C. A high upside type, the look of a future pro-bowler (or a current one if a cap casualty comes our way). All of that may be trumped if inferior offensive coaches still inhabit the sidelines and booth upstairs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You want more young inexperienced coaches promoted from within? Are you being serious or not?

Canada is working out so well for us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The Steelers have a cruise, ex players. That's on a boat. A big one.

The seasons over. Canada is being retained, Art II isn't getting any younger and wants to see a step up, we have budding stars to look forward to in Pickett and Pickens, and a new regime in the General Manager category. I'm looking forward to the draft and to see who we will retain, sign and say ba bye to.

On to the 2023 season.

• Like Like x 3
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I heard that My Grandmother missed the 1st boat from the old country, and Had to come on the next.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Was that the mayflower or the Titanic?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    OUCH.
    Why couldn't it have been QE1 or QE2.? Lol

JEH had 3 options

Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria.

17. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021

18. waywardson

waywardson Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Ding ding ding! You nailed it

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Huh

I rode a mammoth across the land bridge in Beringia

We didn’t need no stinking boats back then

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Pangea needed bridges?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    That’s only a problem when you don’t have a head cook to keep all the others in line.

22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Yes that is exactly what I want. But ones with potential and upside that you groom within your culture. In my mind SF is the best coached team out there. They have been for the last three years and they are having success inspire of their QB situation. They keep losing coaching talent but they are building it from within and coaching up the coaches. The is the kind of environment I want to see the Steelers build. Obviously you need to have quality experienced coaching at the top to groom these younger innovative coaches. The question is... is Tomlin the guy with innovation to groom and lead these guys? I am not certain he is at least on offense.

23. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Yes Better coaches goes without saying.

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    That’s not true at all. Your head cook ends up spending his time babysitting

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. That was great. LoL :lolol: