1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Picket’s Deep Ball

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dusty1, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Truth be told I am more worried about those low bounce passes he keeps throwing. I just have to wonder if this is because of his small hand size and the ball not coming out right, because he does not have a good grip on it.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm guessing it is something in his mechanics or he is just trying too hard to put too much on the ball. Mark Malone didn't have small hands, but he threw more than his share of turf burners.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He need to get with his receivers and practice. Now, that he's becoming familiar with the system. He can focus on his gelling with his receivers. Learning, each others tendencies and skills. Better ball placement and accuracy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He seemed a pretty good QB in college with gloves. I’d guess his occasional inaccuracy is due to other reasons than mechanics or hand size. Nerves? Trying too hard? Give him some time. Also, even experienced guys throw some odd balls occasionally. Ben threw plenty high or into the dirt throughout his career.

• Like Like x 1
  5. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Pickett has the misfortune of following a potential Hall Of Famer who threw an excellent deep ball. Not to mention that each and every one of his throws are being dissected in real time on the gameday thread, as if each one just isn't good enough. Most of us on here just want to see improvement from week to week and I think it's safe to say we've seen that. He is taking much better care of the football and taking what the defense gives him. It's abundantly clear that some guys on here will never be satisfied with the improvement Pickett shows, they simply don't like the dude.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    One thing that no one ever seems to bring up is that the NFL ball is slightly bigger than the college ball

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. Could be something going on with his throwing arm. I remember a play a couple games ago he was shaking his hand in pain.

Also, and just IMO, I think he has below average arm strength. He needs to work on that during the off season. Don`t need a strong arm to compete in the NFL, think about Brady and Montana.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This....Also I think the whole team presses when they get near the Redzone. The Kid is clearly progressing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly why I hate them.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Along with Kordell, and also Trubisky had a few in the dirt in His short time here. I don't think either of them had small hands.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't remember Ben throwing into the dirt, but I remember high balls. The guy on this team that loved killing gophers was Kordell....I don't think I remember a Qb on the Steelers throwing more in the dirt. Thats how Hines learned to catch anything thrown His way. LoL

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This:this!:

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It comes with age

Trust me

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  14. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    The ball to Pickens 2 weeks ago was 45 yards in the air (iirc). I believe I'm remembering right as I remember looking as the replay and counting the yards out of big arm ability.

Do we need it to go 65?
    I guess I'm curious as to what the magic air yards are for "a good deep ball." I know it's not just distance but just curious.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    True, but if I remember correctly, Malone was even worse. Then again, he was even worse in every way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is possible that the poor throws to Freiermuth against the Falcons were a matter of poor arm strength, though I don't think that is the case. It could be that he has to put extra effort into some throws down the field into tight windows, so they are harder for him to control. Both times, Freiermuth had a defender behind him and a deep safety over the top, if I remember correctly. I don't really think that is the issue, but it's possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The long pass downfield is exciting. You hold your breath when it's your guys. Pretty sure my heart stopped with some of Ben's deep balls. Ben always said he was heaving 1-2 every game.

I don't think Kenny is gun shy as much as just following orders.

• Like Like x 2
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He had a 90 yard touchdown reception

There is that

• Like Like x 1
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ben did not have an excellent deep ball

20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ben was chuck and duck on many deep balls. far from a pretty deep ball most of the time. had receivers that could make plays, or come back and get PI's. but not a classic and memorable deep ball thrower.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  21. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    In the middle part of his career, I disagree. At the very least, a good deep ball.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I wonder if the reason is his supposedly undersized hands, but I think his measured like Burrow's and he doesn't wear gloves. No doubt tacky gloves removes some of that "feel" you get from your fingers. Hard to explain but I assume we all have thrown a football with the newman gloves on and off and you immediately feel the difference.

23. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    Perhaps my memory is going on me, but I remember being annoyed in Ben's early years of missing deeps balls more than just occasionally by overthrowing the deep ball. Why this sticks in my mind is I remember a piece on Brady having worked on his deep ball relentlessly one off season and my bro and I talking about "Ben needs to do that". Now in Ben's years (say AB and on) he definitely became a good deep ball thrower.

24. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    Agree, I hated how long the Steelers stayed with Magnum PI!!

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He dropped dimes on the deep throw for most His career.
    The man was in the tops of the league for air yards for most His career.

• Agree Agree x 1