1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Picket vs zone and man coverages

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Dec 5, 2022.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Just heard he was 11/16 vs zone and 3/10 vs man coverage yesterday. I wonder if that holds true for other games and if he will be able to improve against man

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I'd be curious to see how this has played out over the season too. Not sure how much can be drawn from it. It would make sense he's more comfortable throwing against zone. He can see more clearly and anticipate where the windows are. Man...the open receiver is less obvious. And NFL open is different than college open vs man. I'd say his potential lack of success against man could be a combination of receivers not getting separation and his willingness to throw guys open as a Rookie QB. And I'd say some would just flat out be trust in the WR who is seeing man coverage.

• Like Like x 2
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sunday vs the rats will be telling. It’s the first I’ve heard of it so no idea if it’s a trend or not. If there’s the slightest inkling of truth to this hairball will have the rats in man the majority of the game.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, at least two of those incomplete passes against man coverage were drops, the one by Johnson on the crossing route and the one down the seam to Sims, which was a beautiful throw.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Woodson two-six

Woodson two-six Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2019
    There's a lot more that goes into that stat than just the throwing accuracy of a QB. First, is the talent of the defenders they're facing. Second is your talent that you are throwing to**. Third is the technique/scheme that the opponent uses on defense!

In the NFL, the windows are definitely tighter in most man coverage (in general). But when you have man coverage** (referring to the above **) and your receiver drops a ball put on his hands (DJ, cough cough), that says something about your talent (lack concentration, physical skill, etc), which has happened quite a few times this season.

Interesting stat but not sure how much I would read into it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think he will improve. it takes time and reps of seeing things to help improve. now what he goes against in our practices may not give him a ton of reps unless under game situations. that alone could make it more difficult or take longer to get familiar with. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Interesting, but nothing I'd worry about yet.

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He’s lights out against the blitz too which is very encouraging:

https://stillcurtain.com/2022/12/01/steeler-qb-kenny-pickett-eye-popping-numbers-vs-blitz/

Kenny Pickett continues to thrive against the blitz: Pickett has a 71.7% completion rate against the blitz, which is the highest among all NFL quarterbacks. In Monday’s win over the Colts, Pickett went 7 of 9 for 69 yards with a 98.6 passer rating, playing mistake free football when defenses send an extra rusher to challenge him.

Pickett has a 106.9 rating against the blitz without an interception. Not bad for a rookie quarterback with a poor offensive line. The Steelers quarterback has had his struggles, but facing the blitz is not one of them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This..a commentator said earlier this week how amazed he was the time the Jaken hurts has in the pocket. I would hope that the more experience he gets, plus an improved line in the future will improve this stat. It's a wait and see of course, but one aspect that can't be overlooked.

• Like Like x 1