1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Picket’s Deep Ball

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dusty1, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I’m having a hard time with feeling like the deep balls don’t get executed with enough regularity. And I don’t know if it’s play call related, if it’s an O Line thing, separation issues or arm strength/accuracy issue.

Was KP hitting his deep targets in college with consistency? I’m hoping to see some bombs in the near future, miss that part of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Maybe when our O-Line can hold a pocket long enough for that play to develop

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Big Ben had some nice deep balls.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    There was a play early in the 1st quarter where Pickett was winding up to go deep. But the pocket collapsed on him for a sack. The TV announcers said the receiver was open deep

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    There was also the play where Pickett got hit from behind as he was releasing the ball. I believe it was DJ who was open deep in the middle of the field. Would have been interesting to see that one play out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I don't think KP can throw the deep ball. He lacks the ability to put touch on the ball. Throws of 10-15 yards are fine, he can fire it, but soon as it needs any air/touch on it, his accuracy is terrible. Today's throw to Hayward was one of the first times he's really thrown a nice touch pass, but how many of those throws has he missed?

I honestly believe wearing gloves is the issue. There is a reason QBs don't wear them, even when it gets cold. Yes, I know you can find instances where QBs have worn them in different situations but that is not the norm and in games I can recall when QBs have gone to two gloves they often take them off during the game. I remember Ben wearing them a few games and was terrible in them. It's time for KP to be a big boy and take the gloves off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He did hit deep passes in college while wearing the gloves. He has done it before. I think he is pressing a little because he hasn't done enough in the downfield passing game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    That's how I feel..... doing it 10 a game vs 1 a game will crush a QB on how to play.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NewMexicoLobo

NewMexicoLobo Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2021
    Pickett's a bust, isn't he?

:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    He did get nailed a few times hard… can’t be helpful on throwing deep.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    It is all about timing to the Wrs to be able to hit the long deep balls.

Picket is still learning the speed of his starting WRs, because he was not playing with them during training camp. preseason, or for the first part of the season.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I agree with this. He got maybe a day of 1st team reps and a 2m drill in the 2nd preseason game and that was really it. It's just going to take time. And the mechanics of this offense isn't doing either Pickett or the receivers any favors so far, leading to a lot of frustration from the WR unit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe not, but this is one time I had a hard time blaming Canada. The openings were there. Even Pickett said he needs to give Freiermuth a better ball. (He mentioned one of the plays in particular. I think he meant the second one, but really, he missed his tight end near the goal line twice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    He had a nice throw to DJ that DJ didn't come up with.
    There were at least 3 more that either the rush forced something quicker or disrupted (hit Pickett)

I think this season is all about game timing with the rec'r and getting it down.
    I see things developing nicely.
    I am disappointed in Pickens but that is part of the growing pains. If he has any value, him and Pickett get together and work more on that connection.
    DJ needs to get those big play balls... the 50/50 shots.

Friggin' Pat Freiermuth is developing into one of the best TE's... awesome dude there.
    That's the connection Pickens needs to develop with his QB.

And Harris is a truck folks.. that stiff arm was a thing of beauty.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    this may be true. take the gloves off. he clearly does not throw a nice deep ball. maybe he never will, pocket collapsing or not.

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He is taking strides in the right direction. He wears the gloves. He will continue to.

It seems it's one thing or another bashing this kid. Bust, wears gloves, a pick machine, can't throw the deep ball blah blah.

He has thrown some deep balls the last I checked.

All this and he's a rookie.

I just want to see the arrow pointing up and guess what? He has done that. I like it.

h

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    This team needs better WR's.

What is the gameplan for that to happen ? Draft , trade , or FA ?

18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yep - it's a problem. mid tier veteran FA would help immensely.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    For a "deep ball" to work the receivers will need enough time to get down the field which means KP will need enough time in the actual pocket and not running a bootleg or scrambling. Remember that when a QB runs a bootleg you are eliminating half of the field as far as the potential targets.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    nether did Justin Herbert his rookie yr and look how he did.

21. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yesterday, he had some accuracy issues period. Heyward made a nice catch on a high ball. He missed about 3 potential td passes. Was throwing high or in the dirt.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Every throw he missed yesterday is a throw he has made at some point this season. They are throws he made more consistently at Pitt. That really is the next step for him, to be more consistent. This notion that he can't throw the deep ball is nonsense.

I think he is pressing on those deep balls. He knows he has to start hitting them. That will open up so much more of the offense, forcing defenses to back off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He missed two potential touchdowns to Freiermuth. I'm not sure where you are getting the third, but yes, he needs to be more consistently accurate on throws down the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Eh...I don't know if they need "better" wide receivers. I'd like a true grizzled vet in that group to keep the young fellas in check. Johnson isn't a leader from what I can tell. He can't be the vet voice for the group....he struggles with his own play on a week to week basis.

And I think the receiver group with the same guys would look different next year. I think the pecking order is out of whack currently. When Pickens becomes WR1 and Johnson slots into a more appropriate WR2 role...things (i believe) will look and feel better. I was looking forward to seeing the speedy kid in the slot this year...adding him next year is like drafting a WR since he's been on IR all year.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    He can throw the deep ball.

I think at the moment he’s being overly cautious in his throws because of the INTs he threw early in the year. On the plus side it means he hasn’t thrown an INT in 4 games. On the negative side he’s not making a lot of big plays.

He doesn’t trust his receivers to make the play. That should get better with time.

• Agree Agree x 2