1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The pathetic state of Pittsburgh Sports talk Radio

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ironman, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Ironman

Ironman Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2019
    What happened to sports talk on the radio in Pittsburgh? The air waves are polluted with nothing but contrived "click bait" controversy, and negative attitude. Afternoons are especially disgusting, the only local talk is the two clowns on the Fan that spend half of their time laughing at each other's lame jokes and knocking the local teams. Pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Yeah. I ventured onto a burgh sports talk radio show a few weeks ago. And check in once in a while. I live outside the market so wanted some local flavor of the team. I can only take about 15 minutes of it. I don’t mind the critiques…but there’s no real insight. It’s like listening to a sports version of Jerry Springer…without the “who’s the father” reveal!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I live locally, there are some real jagoffs on the 93.7 the fan.
    How they keep their jobs, I am not sure.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Unfortunately, some of the stations are more interested in the shock value and focusing on negative headlines.

I appreciate, and enjoy, honest analysis that highlights the bad with the good. I always liked the quote that it is never as good as it seems, but it is also never as bad as it seems.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Try Steeler nation radio especially in the afternoons. Much more geez friendly discussions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Stan Savran is good

Try “Savran on sports”

Also Stan and Charlie Batch do the post game show on 102.5 WDVE and that is good until the call in starts

On 93.7 the 10-2 show is ok the 2-6 show is bad and Fillipponi is horrible

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I never even knew this existed

And for 6 years driving home from work I listened to two idiots

:facepalm:

That facepalm is for me

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I’m gonna give Steeler nation a try. I had listened to the Fan…yikes!

• Like Like x 2
  9. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Philly sports talk with mike missanelli was just as bad. Just as this msg board does sports talk gets more hits if its mostly doom n gloom.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    On SNR Lolley and Williamson do a good job of covering the team, they're homers but don't do that click bait controversy crap.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    You ought to listen to the 9-12 slot clown on 700 WLW Cincinnati. All other time slots are good so I keep it on that channel on my radial dial am radio at work or else I'd change if it weren't so hard to get back without static.

Anyways this dufus and his sidekick would rather discuss flavors of pies for 3 hours than any current events. I swear we could be an hour and a half away from destruction of the planet from a huge asteroid and he would discuss cherry pies versus apple pies. If that isn't enough his wife would come on as another sidekick and try and sell you a home.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Filliponi is a total moron. I don't know who the guys are with him. Their show is like listening to a sports show on a college campus. They attempt humor by making themselves appear to be cutting edge, young, hip and edgy while talking about their own lives. They're just lame. Despite his somewhat crusty disposition, I like Ron Cook with Joe Starkey 10-2. The morning guys are terrible. Bob Pompeani does mornings on Saturday. I have a lot of respect for him like I do Stan Savran. Paul Alexander does afternoons on the weekend, and I've always liked him. I don't mind Paul Zeise. He's not afraid to say what's on his mind. The thing I really hate about that station is that at 8 or 9 o'clock unless there is a Pirate game. Pitt football or basketball game, they cut away to nationally syndicated CBS jocks and all they talk about is pro basketball or the Yankees. The guy that is on Saturday and Sunday, Jodie Mac, is a complete buffoon. If it's not basketball, it's horse racing. Tim Benz and Adam Crawley are meh. I think Crawley fancies himself as the next Mark Madden. He's always filling in for him on The X. Despite Maddens bluster and his "I'm smarter than you" schtick, he knows what he's talking about when it comes to pro hockey. Plus, he doesn't spare any venom on Bob Nutting. I do listen to him, but in small doses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    OMG some of the call-ins are absolutely cringe worthy.

Caller: Charlie! You should be in the Fame for Back-up QBs! When you did "X" in this game against the Ravens/Browns/Bengals it really showed your greatness! Come back and be the Coach/QB/Offensive Coordinator!

Batch: I appreciate that, what was your question?

Caller: Do you Think Ben thought Tomlin should be replaced?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I wish Stan still had his daily TV show. I freaking miss that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Unfortunately, The Fan has taken over and is in most cities, even the small towns. ATL only has one option, The Fan. Pitiful

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I’ve been singing this song for two years now. It’s 30% sports talk and 70% stooopid nonsense and a zillion ads.

• Like Like x 2
  18. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There isn’t an ESPN radio in Pittsburgh? Perfect market!

19. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Pittsburgh sports radio hit the ****ter once the Fan came in. I remember that NY dude that was a huge baseball homer. Filiponi been awful since day one. Muller was decent on the morning show until he got a gig back home. Cook is ok. The thing about Pomp is that he's great at reporting the news as a sports anchor, he just feels off listening to him on the radio. I don't know if it's his personality or what. Radio and Bob just don't seem to be a great fit, for whatever reason. I respect Bob; he's just a great dude. Chris Peak gives me those same vibes when he does Pitt shows. I think Dorin Dickerson does a great job.

Is Fox 970 still a thing? Sad to hear about ESPN 1250. As for Mark Madden, he's just a pile of elephant sh1t and not worth any of our times.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I live in Orlando and I try to listen to the Fan on Audacy app...I swear they talk for 5 minutes then run 20-25 minutes of repeat commercials... 4 hour blocks with about 30 minutes of actual sports talk...pathetic. The only good thing about a Steelers loss is I am so mad all week I dont wanna even listen to any sports talk all week.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I personally, can't listen to sports talk radio, it makes me want to punch the radio out of the car. (ok the Jeep, I am a Jeep driver... on rare occasion I take the 67 Chevelle out)

I did listen to Myron, and I liked him despite his antics..
    I do tune into a show when I am driving around the area, but it's mostly background noise.
    I prefer music to calm me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I listen to Cook and Joe on 93.7 and its a bonus when Bob Pompeani is on Mondays. Also his show on Saturdays.

The issue to me is Audacy. This app is the worst, always cutting out then when it comes back on it repeats the same thing you just heard. Junk. But its all I got being in New Jersey.

The morning show on 93.7 has way to many commercials.

Poni and Mueller get on my nerves.

I also like Shelby Cassesse on Sundays 93.7 and sometimes on Saturday before the Pompeani show.

• Like Like x 1
  23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    This is a reap what you sow scenario. If the masses didn’t clamor for this type of programming it wouldn’t be so prevalent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Ironman

Ironman Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2019
    The ads on the Fan are rediculous. 10 or 15 in a row. The other day I got in my car to drive into town from Thompson Run rd. It was all commercials all the way down McKnight Rd and 279 to the north Shore. WTF?
    I appreciate the hosts on SNR but its not always 'LIVE'.

• Like Like x 1
  25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    The only sports talk show I listen to is "Let's Talk Hookup" on Sat. and Sun. mornings. Every once in a while, I'll come across Jim Rome as I'm scanning and his voice makes me want to climb through the radio and go Jim Everrett on him!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1