1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why I think we don't fire Canada

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Nov 3, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Never say never, Ben is gone so you never know :hehehe:.

2. waywardson

waywardson Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Yes you are right, the season is done, try ta salvage the good, learn from the bad, regroup and rebound, i think this is a wake up call, holy **** moment,the writing is CLEARLY on the wall, who will read it???

3. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I was listening to Paul Zeise on The Fan early this evening and I had to agree with his take which is simply this. He's not a fan of Canada's offense, either. However, these guys just aren't playing well, period. The offensive line stinks. Other than one half, the QB's have been horrendous. The running game is all but non-existent and the play from the WR's hasn't been anything to get hyped about. So, although Matt Canada deserves criticism, let's not forget that the Steelers overall offensive unit has been pretty awful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Because if they fire Canada only person to blame is Tomlin that’s why very simple .

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    The offense scheme and plays suck it’s simple he’s a border line college coach with zero experience with pro club. You do not hire a unknown when your in transition ever ever ever or you don’t hire them ever if you just look up their pathetic credentials he has no reason ever to be an NFL coordinator

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Canada has earned the attention and ire of everyone. If we get rid of him and the offense is worse or about the same THEN everyone’s focus will be on Kenny.

His scheme is broken, barely average o-line play, has no running game, his WR’s drop passes and getting very little help from his punting teams and defense. He cannot be the next victim!

KEEP CANADA!!!!! He is the entire 2022 fall guy.

Embrace the draft. We can only look for silver linings and nothing complete.

7. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

Matt Canada make the offense worst that they are,last year and this year.I would not be surprised if Claypool look much better in Chicago

8. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I agree that they can do far better than Matt Canada for their OC. But at some point, the players have to take responsibility for this mess, too. Canada, doesn't run, jump, block, throw or catch.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, but he could put his players in better position to do those things effectively and he does not because he sucks at his job.

My primary concern is we are not seeing progress. Pickett played arguably his worst game against the Eagles. I think the interceptions made him pass on aggressive throws down the field. He misfired with Freiermuth open on one third down. That back shoulder throw to Pickens that was incorrectly called incomplete should have been a touchdown. He had a step on his man. Lead him with a deep throw and that's six.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Would it?

While not ideal, I would think being sacked 6-8 times per game because the OC wants to throw 45 passes per game would suck more than a little extra study and practice with a new OC.

Thank your HC for hiring an UNQUALIFIED OC to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Completely agree. Everyone needs to be better. HC, Coordinators, players, etc. Though let’s recognize the Eagles are undefeated.

Coach T and the Southside Country Club Needs to tighten up and get their crap together.

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    https://www.steelernation.com/steelers-pouncey-tomlin/

Did anyone else read this yet? If Pouncey is to be believed then Tomlin has zero control over his staff and players. If he breaks down tape to the extent Pouncey talks about and calls out players and staff about their mistakes behind closed doors why is this stuff happening? If he is giving his staff such excellent breakdowns that aren't being used why is he keeping them on staff. It paints a disturbing picture.

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with both of You.
    Canada sucks(a reason he hasn't last long anywhere), but when the plays are there....the players must make them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Good read.....:thumbs_up:

15. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Like I said, Canada needs replaced. But the offensive struggles aren't all his doing. I agree, there has been very little, if any improvement. What we certainly can't say for certain at this time is if this offense would be appreciably better with, say Bruce Arians as the OC. I'd like to think they would.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Haley? Todd Haley? Tequila Todd?

17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

You could look at it another way. Canada play calling could get our rookie QB killed.

18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Haley was a very good play designer. His problem was his arrogance. I'd take him over anything we've had since his departure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelersUK

SteelersUK Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Players are variables. They play bad one week then it’s easy to point a finger. But if they’re playing bad consistently and nothings being done to rectify it then that’s on the coaching.

No different to any other job where there is a hierarchy of responsibility.

Motivate, discipline, inspire… call it what you like. But if a coach can’t influence change then they aren’t a very good coach.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Pouncey was a hell of a player, but I trust that man as far as I can throw a school bus.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I despise Haley but he probably would be very good for Kenny. He’d push him, make him better. Warner attributes his success to Haley and how hard he pushed him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I don't buy learning another playbook. The playbook one is not the issue necessarily. There are plays that are standard in near every nfl system. It's the one who organizes a plan week by week, then calls the plays. This itself has been an issue for Ben, Mitch, Kenny and even Mason in his one start last year. Ben had more leverage, but the issues were still there. The system sucks and needs replaced, but you can't do that midyear, you can fire or demote the architect and use another to try and work more effectively.

Having no confidence in lower level coach's may be correct, but staying with the one who has produced the worst O output is total ineptitude.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Or he just keeps repeating MTs words back to him, the standard is the standard..you said it boss.

24. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    so far Canada is all talk: he talks about how we are going to put everything together and how "our" offense will take off.

Canada has not yet walked the walk. None of these things have happened. His offensive numbers are terrible, easily bottom of the league. He may not be fired this week but if we have another sub 20 scoring game he should be gone. we are not going anywhere scoring 15 points a game. if not this coming week, mark my words if we dont score more than 20 points in the next two games than he WILL be fired. period. had his chance. run is up. so, in summary, crucial for Canada to win the next two games and score at least more than 20 points in at east one of them

25. Woodson two-six

Woodson two-six Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2019
    josh heupel would be a good OC to hire after this season! However, a good coach like June Jones would be a great guy too!!