1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Claypool or DJ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    IMHO I wouldve got rid of DJ, but apparently we wouldnt have gotten as much for him as we did with 2rd pick with Claypool! Thoughts?

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Water under the bridge at this point.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Cranny

Cranny Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Me too, but didn’t they just sign DJ for $18 mil. That number makes him a lot harder to trade - lot of teams don’t want to take that on

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I don’t like DJ but you have to understand our system. DJ is the X and can run the whole route tree. Nobody else can. Trading him would really screw up this offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Many reasons why they chose the route they did, but I would 100% rather have traded Claypool. DJ is just a far better player than Claypool will ever be. We have Pickens (who is what we were hoping Claypool would be) and no one else like DJ. It was a pretty easy decision. We wont miss Chase one bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Also, with his contract and disappointing play so far this season, they weren't getting enough value back in trade.

I am also frustrated with Johnson. His play has declined. He clearly can't seem to get on the same page with Pickett. He doesn't seem to be doing as much after the catch and he still has too many drops. The Antonio Brown comparisons never made sense, but right now Johnson looks more like Eli Rogers.

7. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

He couldn't get on the same page with Trubisky either. Got paid and got lazy. Aint the first and won't be the last.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    his big contract was a barrier

some of us knew this would be a problem, but not our Einstein FO!!!! that said, DJ has been the better and more valuable player, the past 2 season, altho he is just good, far from great. CPool has been a major disappointment. underachiever, disappearing act last year and that was with a HOF QB.

9. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    We have a whole route tree? Sure it’s not a twig?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They had some trouble there, too, but his lack of attention to detail has really shown up. That is the dropped passes. He cost Trubisky a touchdown in that game against the Jets with lazy footwork at the back of the end zone. He did it again early the following week. Those things shouldn't be happening as often as they do with him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    DJ is much better, and actually has WR1 potential. Claypool looks great on paper with his size and speed but he plays much smaller and slower than a 6'4 225 4.4 40 receiver would indicate. He also falls down when running routes and catching unnecessarily. Despite his size and athletic skills he isn't great at winning 50/50 balls and is somehow not a redzone target with fades.

Bears fans are raving about Claypool thinking he's going to be a great jump ball/fade receiver...and he simply isn't.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Correct but his contract didn’t matter. We wouldn’t trade him and nobody wants him.

Also, so I was right again? :cool: You can’t tell me my track record isn’t better than Tomlin.

13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They need to keep DJ so they can get close enough for the FG attempts.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No sure Chicago is the place that will get the most out of Claypool but don’t underestimate what affect playing for coaches that know what they are doing can have on a player. JuJu seems to have re-found his groove.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, you weren't right because Metcalf wasn't available when the Steelers picked. If they had chosen Johnson over Metcalf, you would have had a point, but that didn't happen. That's the lie you should stop telling.

And no, your track record isn't better than Tomlin's. He has an actual resume and you don't. He has been part of all the decisions of building a roster and then starting lineup, while you cherry pick a few decisions and falsely claim superiority. Hell, there have been times I was right and Colbert/Tomlin were wrong, too. I'm sure I could come up with as many examples as you routinely talk about on here. Despite my not-insignificant ego, I know better. I'm starting to believe you aren't actually kidding with all this and you actually believe you should be running the team.

16. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    live look at that water in some people's mind...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Some of you need to come to terms with the fact that Claypool just wasn't very good. Getting an early 2nd for him is an absolute steal.

DJ is a far better player. He was never going to be put on the block.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Too early to tell for me anyway. I think Claypool has a lot of upside that the Steelers just didn't tap into. He had his faults for sure but he's far from having a disappointing career. We simply have not seen him in an offense that will showcase his overall talents. Not sure if he will ever be that #1 receiver but as a #2 option he will do very well. Time will tell though. I don't mind getting a #2 pick for him but I would have rather traded Dionte Johnson. The numbers aren't favorable to do that so I understand it from a business sense.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And Claypool could not seem to learn it after this long

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well he is far better paid than any Wrs on the team. Now if He could just show why, because if any believe He is clearly better than any of the WRs on this team this year outside of His route running (which he is the most experienced at, and should be)....I wish they'd show Me the proof. :shrug:
    It takes a lot more than running routes to make a Great Wrs....like catching, and keeping their feet inbound.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This^^^^^^^^

22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    It's hard to judge any of these guys based on this year. DJ needs to make better use out of the chances that he does have. No doubt.

The same can be said for Claypool. He is also a product of a poor offense. The thing about him is that I see the same player, making the same mistakes. It's hard to think highly of a big WR that doesn't excell at being a big WR.

Pickens does what Chase is supposed to do better. I don't see anyone on this team that can do what DJ does.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Why do they throw passes so close to the sideline that even if it is caught it’s out of bounds

Why not run the same play a yard farther in bounds

I didn’t want to start another post on this deep thought so I stuck it here

24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    They did great in what they got for Claypool. He looks the part isn't all that good.

Dionte is a good route runner and good after the catch. He is not reliable on 3rd down imo but you take what you can get.

George Pickens has to be #1 material imo.

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Again not arguing, but outside of route running....what is that???
    Tds....well that can't be it because He has none...Matter of fact He's about the only target without one.:shrug:
    .So yards....with all his catches He barely has more yards than anyone on the team....
    So...average per catch....Well not that either.
    I found something....He has 27 more targets than anyone on the team, but only 11 more catches.
    So.....again I'm looking :shrug:
    I'm not posting it to argue, but you can't just like someone better, and say....therefore He's better.
    Please don't take this wrong :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1