1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why I think we don't fire Canada

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Nov 3, 2022.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    1. Probably not anyone behind him that we belive in that can turn this team around
    2. Tomlin is probably worried about pickett having to learn another playbook mid season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It would suck, firing the OC mid-season of your Rookies first season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

As opposed to getting rid of his best playmaker midseason? Canada is garbage and does nothing for KP's development. I guarantee that if you replaced Canada with Haley right now you would get much better results but we all know that would never happen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I am for dismissing Canada. To me, it is obvious though I am nowhere near as vile as some.
    The concern for me would be changing it up for my rookie this quick.
    Pickett is the future, not Canada.

If they hand the reins to Sullivan, you will get pretty much the same playbook, but you would get different calls.
    That would get you into the offseason to where you could get another guy.

That is my only trepidation.
    To clarify my stance; Matt Canada should have been let go Monday @ 8am.

******EDIT*****
    My bad, forgot about the trade with Claypool. If he was the distraction, and I think he was, I think that is also not good to keep around. Claypool, to me, seemed to be going A. Brown on us.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Couldn't agree more. You don't think about canning someone days away. You either do it immediately or not at all. That's why when there was a thread about some news Thursday I pretty much dismissed any changes to come at that time.

• Like Like x 3
  6. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Based on how they handled pickett becoming the starter Id guess if they can Canada it wont be at a convenient time.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I wonder if Pickett's comments about guys not being where they are supposed to be were directed at Claypool. Sure, he talked about his own role in that and maybe he was talking about many players, but Claypool just isn't a good enough route runner.

By the way, that was one time I really didn't like what Pickett said. I think that is something that should have been kept in house.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    It'll be end of season

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Let the 10 play trickster continue at this point. Like I mentioned in a different thread maybe Sullivan didn't want the position or hard headed Tomlin just didn't want to let him go.

Lost season anyways and hopefully leads to greener pastures with Weidl and Omar rebuilding the roster.

10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I would agree on all counts.
    Pickett is the "Field General" but he does need to temper it some.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They said they traded Claypool because of the draft capital, you don't turn down a possible high second round pick.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    That's what I'm thinking as well if they didn't do it earlier this week. The play calling is questionable no doubt, but all the turnovers dont help.

13. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    yeah....I kind of get that - but then I worry that Canada will do more damage to Kenny. It's a tough one for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think they rated the trade a B+ for us. Analysts rarely rate that high for Steelers haha

• Like Like x 3
  15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    As for point one firing the oc doesn’t actually achieve anything. Point two you’re not learning a new playbook during the season. Rookie quarterback or veteran quarterback that isn’t happening.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    His best playmaker? That’s laughable. You’re talking about a guy that’s screws up his routes, runs **** routes, and drifts through zones. They tried him on the outside he was meh. They moved him to the slot where he should be an absolute beast with his size and speed and he’s been meh yet once again.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Will MC contract be ending then? I thought Steelers don't fire coaches but rather not renew their contracts. What if he is not let go? Just wondering.

Edit: Just praying.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh Steelers announced they had signed head coach Mike Tomlin to a three-year contract extension. This will keep Tomlin with the Steelers through the 2024 season at a minimum.

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

The NFL will most likely not allow me to embed this clip but if you get a chance go over to YouTube and watch it. The one thing I think Stefanski is great at is designing an effective run game. When you can put two TE's on the line dual wr's to one side and then isolate guys for Chubb its a hard offense to stop. Canada shows nothing even remotely close to this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017

Agree 100% but wonder how players do it when they get traded to another team and are on the field the next game for them. I don't know if QB's have done this in the past for us or other teams. Crazy to think that we'd change offenses mid season and then once again when a new OC is brought in at the end of the season. That's 3 offenses withing 6 months. JMO>

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He was totally shut down week 1 by Hilton. Guy has a foot and a half on Hilton and couldn't out muscle him for a catch. Made Hilton look like Mel Blount.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    MC=Matt Canada

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

They keep things very basic for new players. You’re also only adding one player not changing everything for everyone. Those are two entirely different scenarios. A veteran quarterback can say to a veteran wide receiver you line up here and run a slant. Or you line of here and runs go route.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    3. Canada has pics of Tomlin in compromising situations :lolol:
    (at this point, this IS the most likely option)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Players aren't learning a new playbook when a coordinator is fired during the season. They may be learning some new plays, or variations of plays already in the playbook, but there are new plays every week to learn based on the opponent.

Oops, never mind. I forgot, the Steelers do what they do and doesn't matter who the opponent is.