1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The decision to defer to Josh Allen and the Bills

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Oct 10, 2022.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'd like to know everyone's opinion to defer the winning coin toss and let Josh Allen have the ball to start the game. I know it didn't really factor into the @ss woopin anyways but to me it was dumb IMO.

My son and I were walking into the stadium and we kept saying if they win the toss then they need to receive and start a long drive with Pickett. Keep Josh Allen on the bench as much as possible. Taking the ball in the second half would be pointless if we're playing catch up anyways.

As soon as the Steeler deferred the coin toss to My son and I said that was dumb.

I thought we were wrong on the fumbled KO and then the subsequent stop and penalty making it 3rd and 11 and then the 99 yard perfect bomb to Davis and I knew it was pretty much over.

Stupid to give Josh Allen the ball first.

On a side note, I had to laugh a bit on the hot chicks T Shirt that said "I love when Josh Allen goes deep" as we were walking in.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Bills are a good team. It would’ve taken another +5 turnover differential for us to lose a close game

3. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Yes they are so why give them the ball first?

4. stangboy06

stangboy06 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Or kick field goals when you’re down three touchdowns coach of the year

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Road team should alway defer if they win the toss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't hate the move, especially given the offense's troubles early in games. A three-and-out gives the Bills the ball quickly, anyway, and in good field position.

Also, it damn near worked thanks to the botched kickoff return. Wallace and Norwood need to do their jobs better, especially Norwood. At worst, that should have been a completion, but a tackle immediately after it was caught. If you have an opposing offense facing third-and-11 at their own two-yard line and you can't keep them from scoring a 98-yard touchdown on the play, you're probably screwed anyway.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It's been a trend for some time now. It used to be 'gimme the ball' and try to score first.
    Force the other team into a catchup game right away.
    Now they play for that "try to score just before the half and get another score after the half"

There was also the thought of putting the best unit out first.

For the Bills game, if the Steelers had a ground game going on, then maybe put the offense out there first.
    But they don't.

• Like Like x 2
  8. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Why?

9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Statistically you should always defer. It’s better to see how 1st half plays out then get ball in the 2nd.

It’s funny because when we had 3 Bs… Tomlin would always go with your way of thought and take the ball. A lot of times we’d go 3 n out. Give them short field and they would score. And get ball at half.

We had them 3rd and long in their end zone. Just needed one play and you would be singing a different tune. We scored 3 points all game… so taking the ball would be stupid.

You always defer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    For a couple reasons.
    At the start of the second half when all the Home fans are in the restrooms or beer line it makes it a little easier for the road team to communicate on offense.
    Also whether home or away if you're getting whooped in the first half the last thing you want is for the opponent to also have the ball to start the second half.
    And if you are up in the first half nothing better than to get the ball in the second and pour it on even more.
    Tomlin has been lacking in these calls when he's had the opportunity for quite some time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I can see all your points but to give the ball to Josh Allen who is currently playing at his highest level and more than likely will win MVP if he keeps it up and possibly go down 7-0 while starting a rookie QB to play catch up just didn't make any sense to me. I would have put the ball in Kenny's hands straight away to try and get long drives started and keep Allen off the field. Like I said, it wouldn't have mattered in the least the way the Steelers played but to me it was an opportunity missed.

12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Bills didn’t have the ball long.

13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    if we had won would you have created a thread praising Tomlin’s decision?

• Like Like x 2
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What was more likely heading into the Bills game? Our offense scoring a TD or our defense getting a stop?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

No. I wouldn't have even mentioned it. Obviously.

• Like Like x 1
  16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    At least you’re honest

• Like Like x 1
  17. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    You should always defer. There are no exceptions

• Like Like x 1
  18. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    You alway defer. Teams typically need a drive or 2 to get into rhythm. Also there is a 50% chance you end the first have with the ball then you get it after the half. Which does two things their offense gets out of sync and their defense gets tired. Plus your offense gets in a rhythm. The Patriots did this constantly with Brady

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea I hated it and thought the exact same thing. This defense is not good enough now to be deferring the opening kick off to a team that rarely punts the damn ball in the Bills. It was just one of the many terrible decisions by Tomlin in Buffalo on Sunday in what I thought was one of his worst coached games. Switching to the Bucs game this Sunday the same thing can apply to Tom Brady and keeping the ball out of his hands. If the Steelers win the toss Sunday at home and I’m Kenny Pickett making my first home start against Tom Brady I am going up to Tomlin and saying I want the damn ball to start and let’s go. This is something the Steelers and Tomlin should do but they probably won’t because they just don’t change anything or do things differently. It’s the same **** with Tomlin week in and week out.

20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Could we defer to not let Josh Allen have the ball at all?

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now that is a plan We need to implement next time We play. :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1