1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The bigger issue is the Defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Oct 2, 2022.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Didn’t they score 45 points on Sunday?

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Maybe. I know they lost, and they have the same record as We do. So the number one highest paid offense, and defense both teams are 1- 3.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    But…you can’t blame their offense for the loss Sunday. You can absolutely blame our porous defense for the loss Sunday. Their offense earned their $$$…our defense should have to pay their $$$ back! Blowing a 10 point 4th quarter lead to the lowly Jets and a rusty quarterback. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but when We look back on it later this year....only a win , or a loss will matter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    How does anyone know when Tomlin took the reins or how much influence he had? You dont know. Even after Lebeau was gone it's not like the defenses were terrible even when you consider the drafting has been less than commendable the last 10 years. You can only do so much if you're drafting badly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It was a binary league before binary was even a common word

At the end of the game one team gets a 1 the other team gets a 0

• Like Like x 2
  7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Saturday night I tried something similar on my 7 year old great niece her drunk mom and my drunk wife

They all just stared at me with a wtf look

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I read a story somewhere that LeBeau's last two seasons Tomlin was calling the defense. Bad drafting absolutely agree. This lands at the feet of Colbert and Tomlin. Plus you have coaches to develop players in which fell short. And we still see that today. You have 3 defensive coaches and who knows who's calling the defense. Possibly Tomlin still. It's not working. This was supposed to be the strength. It is now a major weakness.

10. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Its primarily a weakness because of injuries and a offense that sucks to high heavens....let's be critical, but let's also be objective.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I posted a link to a good article explains this back in camp but I can’t find it now

On game day Austin in general calls the defensive plays based on the game plan

During the week all defensive coaches plus Tomlin put the game plan together

Other than one here or there Tomlin does not call the game day defensive plays

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i believe that is part of the problem in the we do what we do game plan. it starts out pretty well and we see it fade in the second half. the offense we go against adjusts but our game plan doesn't. they exploit it. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I didnt avoid your question, I ignored it as ignorant and uninformed and chose to show you 1 example as to why you are that way. Once again you like to point at stats as the root cause and completely ignoring the situations that predicated them. Point blank and simple, we dont make the playoffs without Ben!!! I am sorry you cant grasp the situation or see this clearly enough. Ben is the reason for Tomlins success, it really is that simple. But Ben is one man and sometimes tries too much to compensate for the lack of aptitude of the coaching staff. You may or may not be old enough to have ever have seen a real coach like Chuck Noll make halftime adjustments and have an actual game plan against an opponent, but I have and some of us older folks on here arent afraid to call Tomlin out for his lack of ability. We have seen what he has and its not much and we are done with it!!!

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And equally for failure

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Some of You guys just say off the wall stuff about the guy. I get people not liking Him, but why make stuff up. Just within the week...I read from many different people.....He never learned the playbook, He didn't know how to read a defense, He never watched film, , and He said He had the worst offense Oline in the NFL.....not a damn one of these are true.....I can show many players, and interview showing the opposite.....yet nobody can show me any proof of what they are talking about.....again I get the dislike, but I don't get the lies.....Now I know Why it took Bradshaw over 20 years to comeback to Pittsburgh. LoL Bradshaw should just be lucky they didn't have the internet when He played.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Some people just can’t accept how bad Tomlin is and have to come up with any excuse to protect him. It’s quite bizarre.

• Like Like x 1
  17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Pretty sure he's talking about Ben, not MT. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    No I wasn’t talking about STD

Was talking about one of the fanboys trying to blame Ben for Tomlins failures.

• Like Like x 2
  19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Gotcha. In that case, I agree. Lol

• Like Like x 2
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is silly. You really think there are that many people who criticize Roethilsberger just because they want to defend Tomlin? Roethlisberger could be frustrating. He made some bonehead decisions. He had some poor performances in playoff games. He was not a good guy, at least early in his career. He engaged in off-field behavior ranging from stupid to awful.

None of that justifies people making things up about him. These accusations that he couldn't read a defense or watch film are fiction. He never said his offensive line was bad. In fact, he was always quick to stand up for his linemen. There are things he did and said that are genuinely worthy of criticism. There is no need to make other things up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Ben may have made poor decisions off the field in his younger days and was generally a drama queen but still a HOF great QB. I’m just surprised people actually think he was the reason Tomlin has had such little playoff success. I mean I’ve mentioned in Other threads to be fair Bens playoff numbers were not as good as his regular season numbers for sure. Competition goes up and quality of teams get harder that time of the year which is the same for MT. However the defenses in many of these one and done playoff games or late season collapses where we didn’t even make it were a much bigger reason than Big Ben. Ben is retired now and this team looks awful I believe we are just seeing the beginning of life with Tomlin w/o Ben. End of the day the beautiful thing is proof will be in the pudding and the fanboys won’t have a leg to stand on.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There are plenty of problems with this team that have nothing to do with his retirement. They have an inexperienced offense and a defense that relies far too much on Watt.

23. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I agree 100% and it starts with the HC who for some reason has a lifetime pass with Art 3. The offensive line is inexperienced/new and I would argue they are playing the best of anyone. Trubisky Dionte Claypool Najee Playcalling coaching all terrible. The Defense loses 1 man albeit a great player and they become Swiss cheese? Once again playcalling schemes lack of depth and development. This all stems from the boss and he’s been bailed out by Ben beating inferior teams for years but those days are ova.

24. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The Steelers are what they are on defense because of so many recent misses in the draft. Jarvis Jones, Artie Burns, even Dupree 5 yrs but only 2.5 yrs as productive as a 1st round pick.
    The most recent is Bush I know he was injured but his "I have nothing to prove " attitude is even more cause for concern.
    Misses and reaches like the safety/corner that was very good at either.
    On offense its been over ten yrs since they used a first round pick on an offensive linemen.
    It is almost like they have lost their direction and now have so many holes if they end up with the 4 or 5 pick they should consider trading back to get another high second rd pick at least.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They lost the best defensive player in the NFL. That's going to be felt.

Also, he isn't the only player they have lost. They were down a starting corner, starting safety, and their top backup safety by the end of the game with the Jets. Sutton and Fitzpatrick were playing hurt by the end of that game. Not that Edmunds or Witherspoon are particularly good, but their replacements are even worse.

The loss of Kazee really hurt. I think he was going to play a huge role on that defense.

• Agree Agree x 1