1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Brian Flores effect

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Seems the jubilation of getting him has certainly waned...

Many , myself included...Thought we had gotten " the ILB whisperer " but the proof is in the pudding...

Talent is a major factor, I understand that but...I see hardly any impact from the ILB's...Jack is meh, Bush is this much better than last year ( thumb and pointer finger an inch apart ) Spillane is garbage, Buddy cut...

I have been fooled from a talent standpoint, I thought we had more talent... On a related note

The WR's , who a lot of the talking heads claim have a ton of talent, is severely underwhelming...DJ, Cosmo Claypool ( to early to tell for Pickens ) never seem to run open, seems every throw is contested...Scheme or talent?

I watch a lot of games besides the Steelers, I love the NFL and... I'm not saying every play of every team, but I often see WR's running free, wide open ( and not the 5 yard variety either ) ...Deep in routes, out routes seams...

Realistically Trubisky, and now Pickett have better arms than Ben, of the last few years...How come we NEVER have a Receiver wide open, more than a few yards from the LOS...

Discuss...

• Like Like x 1
  2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I mean Bush and Spillane just both suck but Jack has also been less than advertised. Not impressed at all.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have asked this in a previous thread about 2 weeks ago,

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I feel jack is the only competent ILB playing now, They have to get Robinson in the game at some point and quickly.
    He is not afraid to hit.and has speed. Time for Bush and Spillane to sit. And Gunner and Claypoole.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Can't make chicken salad out of chicken bleep

With respect to different schemes tweaks Feel Tomlin is still running his def. Hard to have input when he calls what he wants

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Austin is eligible to come back this week ( I think Gunner will be gone ) ...

It will never happen but, I'd add Austin + Boykin...Sit Cosmo, cut Gunner

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I’m not sure why Gunnar still sees the field. He’s done nothing, but drop the damn ball. He’s a waste of a roster spot right now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    jack has been taken off the field too much. bush was at times the only LB in our two down linemen garbage defense we keep running. we leave the middle of the field wide open. i don't think flores is the culprit in this. no pass rush and an open middle is not a successful option. it won't stop the run nor will it stop the pass as we have seen but it is what we do. there is no matching what our opponent does, we just do what we do and hope for the best, which isn't very good. we can blame players all day but until we see adjustments made in game the other team will exploit our weaknesses. as we have seen. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t know who’s at fault for what we saw Sunday. I remember plays where we played Cover 2, and the LBs were around 5 yards deep and the safeties were 25+ yards deep and still dropping. There was so much green grass between the LBs and the safeties that Wilson could have bent over and shot the football out his butthole and been accurate enough to avoid defenders. Who is designing crap like that?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Someone from Subic Bay?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    How can he be an ILB whisperer when he is a defensive assistant and outside linebackers coach? Jerry-O is still the position coach. Unless of course you are extrapolating that he was an ILB coach previously and could help over all since he has experience as a DC and HC otherwise this falls back to being a Tomlin/Austin/O problem. It certainly can be a let's play the Tampa 2 on a 3-4 front with zero pass rush to create pressure and allow teams to sit guys in the soft spots of the zone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    funny but true. it looked like our DB's left the field there was so much space in the middle. heck lamass sweed could have caught one or two in that area. maybe even claypool. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    He's our new Ryan Switzer. Apparently a useless white guy punt returner checks a box on our roster.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Underwhelming so far with Flores and austin. I’ll give it more time at least 5 more years before making a decision

• Hilarious Hilarious x 8
  15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Wait, so you don't like playing the DBs 20 yards off on 3rd & 4 ?

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 8
  16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    5 years!? I was under the impression we stole a HC quality coach as an assistant because the NFL is racist. He was going to light it up this year and get a HC gig next year. In reality he would’ve been better off staying at home and calling the league racist vs joining the Tomlin clown show. Anybody watching this defenses tape.. His stock has plummeted around the league.

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. The broadcast crew seemed to think it was the linebackers not dropping deep enough, but the scheme was at least part of the problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You really have to look at when they started exploiting that though. Well after Edmonds went down and they were also attacking Maulet.

Still doesn't excuse the LB's getting sucked in by the play-action when they were not getting ran on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will always love the Cosmo Claypool....LoL :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Was not and still not a fan of the Flores signing. I think he’s a fraud and made excuses for his own shortcomings by accusing half the league of racism because he wasn’t at the top of the list for every team who had a head coaching vacancy. I just feel that he greatly exaggerated his claims of racism and to me that’s as pathetic as actual racism itself. But, it didn’t surprise me one iota that Rooney came calling and hired the guy and I was willing to forget all of the clutter surrounding his departure from Miami if he could come in and revive Bush’s career and help the defense. So far it’s a big FAIL!

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    They need to start Robinson against the Ravens later this season. Have him spy Jackson and hit him on every play whether he keeps the ball or not.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Robinson is still learning to be a LB, Jackson would make him look silly.

23. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Maybe so, but Robinson is a willing hitter, which is more than I can say for Bush. He’ll probably make some errors, but do we really think it would be worse than what we’re seeing from Bush and Spillane? At least he’d be playing with his hair on fire looking to thump someone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Definitely. Maulet is terrible. He had already been pushed into too large of a role by the losses of Kazee and Witherspoon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They should let Flores call the defense, Austin has sucked the last three games without Watt.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1