1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chase Claypool should be on the bench

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Tiggs99, Oct 2, 2022.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Claypool isn't a "high point the ball with a guy on your back" kind of guy...

You got to hit him in stride (Go, Slant, Drag routes.) ... he got separation in college, but he just seems slow in the NFL for some reason.

If he was faster and could take the top off of coverage he would serve this team better.

He plays at 238 ... 5 lbs more and he is almost a TE. Maybe he needs to lose some weight?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

It is mind blowing to say the least. I truly thought he had the potential to be the best WR from his class; Justin Jefferson included. Suffice it to say... I was wrong... horribly wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    I would like so see Sims in there for Gunner. The guy seems like a liability on special teams and is not producing. Maybe Sims could get some snaps at WR, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What games are you watching?

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Seems like something that could be coached out of someone :hmm:

6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Same as you

7. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    I’ve never been big on the guy. I got flamed for stating my opinions on him.

The Calvin Johnson comparisons and all this “talent” I just never saw it. Tall guy with a big frame, bad hands, can’t ever get any separation,doesn’t have any dog in him, no aggression.

I hope he can show improvement because it would be nice having a big target for Pickett going forward.

8. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah but I felt like Ben's throws were either in the sky or on the ground so I, also. want to see what will happen with Kenny- assuming Tomlin keeps him as the starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I caught that INT finally, didn't get the game on TV...

Dag Gummit Chase needs to come down with that ball! No Excuse!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Maybe he needs glasses. His eye sight being off explains all his issues.

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Claypool's biggest (pun definitely intended) issue is his reliance on his size rather than improving his technique.... I've never seen a receiver leave his feet as much as claypool.... He needs to learn to run through his routes and run under the ball rather than relying on his size and constantly trying to out jump smaller defenders...... Ben had the same issue with James Washington, but kept his mouth shut with Claypool, presumably because of his constant fixation with having a tall receiver....
    Claypool needs to realize that everybody at this level is an exceptional athlete and actually start focusing on the nuances of his position

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Sadly this could be the case. How he was winning in college just isn’t going to cut it at the pro level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    At the risk of being flamed, here goes. The ball was slightly underthrown and the d-back made a great play on it. People are acting like it hit Claypool in the hands and he couldn't pull it in. The ball literally never even touches his hands. I get that everyone is excited for Pickett, and so am I ,but let's not get carried away. I guess you could argue Claypool SHOULD have been able to get a hand on it.

Also, it a pet-peeve but I always hated the term "high point" the ball. On a deep ball the "high point" of the ball is about 40ft in the air when it's halfway there. Last time I checked no one is catching it up there except maybe a passing goose. It's one of those stupid sports terms like "late breaking curveball".

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Looks like he got his hands on it but either way this is a catch an NFL receiver has to make. Look where Claypools hands are, why is he not reaching out and plucking the ball out of the air. Why is he allowing a defender so out of position make a play on that ball.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    im 99% sure the ball was in his hands, then the DB knocked it out.

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The issue is who are you really going to replace him with at this point? Just have to live with it. Pickett will continue to spread it around and hopefully Claypool will pull his head out of his @ss and start playing like he talks.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Really? I complained about his inability to win contested catches vs. smaller DBs when we drafted him. Was I the only person who saw this flaw in his game at Notre Dame?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Boykin

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You’re nuts. Claypool hasn’t done ****.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

My thoughts exactly. Besides, Boykin does have legitimate NFL tape of making, wait for it, contested catches and most of all, is willing to do so. In addition, once CAIII gets healthy enough and proves his worth, bench "The Gunner".

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    When ....I complained about it .....everyone told Me it was Ben.:shrug:
    Now Mason, Ben, Trubisky, and Pickett later people are saying the exact same things I been complaining about....He adjust terribly.....when He should just run under a ball He has to turn around, and jump for it.....when He should jump for a ball He miss judges....How many times have We seen Him jump for a ball ,and it hits Him in the stomach, or below.....THAT right there tells You....HEY....You didn't have to jump for that. Like I said ....I've been saying this.

22. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Claypool is fine if you hand him the ball.
    Maybe he would "see the ball better" if he ran TE type routes.
    Instead of bailing on him, use him for what he absolutely does well consistently.

That's coaching. Get the best out of what you got. Give him to Belichick.

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well if it helps sure but has he even been involved in the offense? I would stick with Claypool and hopefully they shave his ego down.

24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Which receivers did Pickett develop a rapport with during camp and preseason? Any of them still on our roster and not Foodland’s?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. BAMASteeler

BAMASteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2022
    Claypool is a typical MT player, metrics out the wazoo but very little substance as a football player.