1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The bigger issue is the Defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Oct 2, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Part of the problem is they weren't just missing Watt. Kazee should have been getting Maulet's snaps, for example. Or he could have filled in and given them a competent option when Edmunds went down. By the end of that game, the Steelers were missing four of their top six defensive backs (Sutton, Witherspoon, Kazee, and Edmunds). How many teams could thrive in that situation?

You are right that nobody should be talking about fatigue this time around. The offense did a much better job with time of possession, even when Trubisky was in there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think in today's NFL you need ILB's who can run side to side AND down the field with receivers. Guys how are big and can run are unicorns i.e. Levon Kirkland

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My wish pick

• Like Like x 1
  4. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    so once again Mike Tomlin admits he was in charge of the defense that blew a 10 point fourth quarter lead. This is the man who ran Dick Lebeau out of Pittsburgh, Dick was too classy to air this dirty laundry that Tomlin was not allowing him to call HIS defense in critical situations. Dick didnt want to leave pgh, he didnt give his job to Butler as a friendly move, he didnt retire only to reappear in tennessee. Wake up people, Mike Tomlin has been in way over his head for quite some time, he has chased away all of his good to great coaches. His standard is way below what the Steeler standard is and has always been, as a matter of fact, I dont think coach cliche will ever know what that phrase actually means here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Way over his head is highly unlikely. I could show you what the Steelers defenses have ranked over the years, but then you would make up some other silly excuse as to why you made a clearly uninformed and inaccurate comment. What is likely is that Tomlin has a tendency to bear the brunt of criticism by placing blame on himself because he doesnt relish in throwing his players or coaches under the bus and that's why he said what he said. He's going to get the blame no matter what anyway so why not take responsibility??

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. RobertoC#21

Nov 24, 2011
    WOW, you think my post is uniformed and yet yours reeks of conjecture. Mine is at least based on whats being seen and said, not whats being "read" into whats said or where one needs the super duper homer glasses or the Cracker Jack secret decoder ring.

7. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    It's not uninformed? Tell me where have the defenses ranked under Tomlin over the years...I'll wait....

8. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Ive been so spoiled for so many years to see a defense that can protect a lead like that it was gut wrenching watching the Zach Wilson Jets go down the field like that.

The Steelers seem to be getting outphysicalled in the trenches...especially at the end of games where you just never see teams impose their will like that. Ugh..just sucks

9. RobertoC#21

Nov 24, 2011
    You are talking stats, I am talking results! Major difference!! You can have the stats, I will take the Lombardi!! You live in the world of fantasy football and try to use stats as a reason for your arguments, when in reality all that matters is wins and losses, 4th qtr collapses are common with Tomlin. Cowher lost one game when he had a 10 point lead, how many has Tomlin lost? How many 4th qtr collapses has Tomlin had? How many times has a Tomlin coached team lost to teams that he was supposed to beat? He is either in over his head or suffers greatly from Dunning-Krueger syndrome. In any case, he needs to go, he has taken this team downhill for the past 4-6 years and now that Ben is no longer bailing him out, we will see what he has!

• Like Like x 2
  10. BAMASteeler

BAMASteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2022
    Steelers ILB play is non-existent, trading up for Bush was a huge blunder and not replacing him even bigger. I like Leal and Ogunjobi but would love to see a Hampton type to stuff the middle and physical ILB that attacks LOS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Or maybe better development by the coaches along with game planning? We look a little undisciplined right now. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Very sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    If its anybody that lives in a world of delusion it's you. How many other teams have won multiple Lombardis since Tomlin has been coach?? I'll answer it for you genius...its one ( Patriots- twice).

You might want to stop contradicting yourself throughout your rant.....You seem so uninformed, biased, irrational and unrealistic in your spiel. Here you thought Tomlin was the only won when theres coaches and teams all around the league that bear the same or less level of success. I'll tell you where you contradict yourself based upon what you kept saying. If Ben was bailing Tomlin out all the time go and recap the last 3 playoff games Ben played in and tell me what happened with him in those games. Dont avoid the question.

14. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I mean we need DL LB CB SS as well as OT OG C maybe another WR if Dionte busts out and possibly QB pending on how Pickett plays.

I would say QB and WR are not as pressing but we still have a ton of holes. This is an awful football team

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    with using only 2 down linemen on defense we won't stop the run and haven't. we are so worried about the pass that we use extra DB's, yet all day long we saw the middle of the field wide open for the taking. we also saw no pressure on the QB with that front. that is scheme and coaching and lack of adjustment. plain and simple. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

I'm old school Cowher mentality.

You need to run the ball well enough to control the clock. It keeps your defense fresh and beats theirs down.

That's working smart not hard. Obviously your defense has to be able to stop drives also and not give up the big play.

Old school Bill Cowher approach.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    doubt that works against this high flying buffalo offense. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. RobertoC#21

Nov 24, 2011
    OK rocket boy, since you asked, and clearly dont have any idea what you are talking about...here goes.
    Teams that have won more than 1 Super Bowl since Tomlin has coached.....the answer boy genius is 2. The New York Giants won in 2008 and 2012, the New England Patriots have won 3X, 2015, 2017 and 2019. Consider yourself schooled.

Now back to my original statement about Tomlin being in over his head.....which you seem to NOT think Ben saved his A$$ over and over again,..... what is Tomlins record with Ben at QB? What is his record without Ben, I will give you a hint, Ben has never had a losing season, but Tomlin without Ben has never been over .500 and is currently under .500......good night!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    You still avoided my previous question as I thought you would which means you're a coward and a blowhard.

20. aregeejay

aregeejay Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2014

The Steeler "defense" hasn't been for about 5 years now. They are sof'.....

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Worthless trivia question

If a fire truck is driving to a fire with the lights and siren on and you think it is too dang slow are you allowed to pass it

I had this thought once but did not pass

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ha, 45 minute men. Need Ray Seals to come and teach them how to be 60 minute men.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Under LeBeau you mean. When Tomlin took the reins didn't look so positive.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmmm....let's give it some more time. They are struggling for an identity on both sides of the ball. I'm not saying we are going to the SB, but I believe We will be better than a lot believe right now. They(coaches)went into the season thinking We were something that We are not. Now they need to find out what We are ,and build on that. I still say 8-9 wins....hell I said a 9-7-1 season before We played a game. I'm sticking with it.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know this doesn't help, but did You know Detroit is the highest paid offense. LoL

• Informative Informative x 2