1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tua

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Mashburn, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    My heart breaks for him. He should have never been allowed back in. I hope he returns safely and if he never wants to play again, I pray he recovers fully and sue the heck out of the dolphins.

Lastly if this was the steelers, I would be crazy upset. I probably be calling for everyone to be fired who looked at bringing him back.

I love hard hits and hate how the league is turning into flag football. But then they go and do sickening junk like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I was at work and missed the game, so I only saw a highlight. But this is awful. The way his hands/fingers postured is not a good sign at all. It was pointed out he likely suffered a concussion on SUNDAY! Why the hell was he playing? Some people need to be fired.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    No excuse for the Dolphins on this.Remember the Chiefs take Patrick Mahomes out in a playoffs game in 2020 against the Browns when he had a concussion.This game was still close too.You want to win but not at all cost like this

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    One of the scariest moments I've seen in sports. I just hope Tua is ok and wishes him well. Somebody really effed up here. Completely preventable situation. I want to see players not only play, but live healthy lives after their careers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    1st thing i thought of was in cincy and where shazier was hurt.

Luckily tua is able to move but hope he doesnt play for a few weeks. Crazy how concussions in other sports players sometimes miss a month but in the nfl the norm is they play the next week.

I know the bengals fans of done some not nice things other times but real classy they chanted tua.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Freaking life is strange. I have not talked or known a Dolphin fan in about 20 years. About a week ago at the golf course this young man comes in with a Dolphin hat on. Once he realized we were talking football he started raving how excited he was with their new young QB. I'm guessing that young man is PO'd today.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Yes the Dolphins are to blame. However the NFL supposedly have independent doctors on the sideline so they are to blame as well. The NFL was concerned about why/how Tua returned to the game Sunday and were looking into it/investigating. In my opinion if the NFL truly cared they would have stopped this before the Thursday game started. I assume these doctors also need patients that don’t lie to get back on the field. Lots of blame to go around. Sad situation and I hope he is ok.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I had a front and back concussion I obtained in a car accident. I ripped a car door off to save the life of the girl who was sitting in front me. I broke my fingers.

If not for the doctors, I would have not known how bad I was messed up.

Furthermore they discovered I had a brain tumor.

If not for doctors Telling me how bad I was. I more than likely would have went to play in the game that night.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The team and the league are both to blame. There is no way he should have been allowed to return to the field Sunday or play last night. Despite false claims to the contrary, the league has no real interest in protecting its players. They certainly don't want to hold teams accountable. That is why the rules regarding the concussion protocol have no teeth. A team could violate the protocols twice and suffer no more than a $100,000 fine. The commissioner can do more, but he doesn't have to, so he won't.

The Miami organization is rotten to the core. That comes from the owner. I write this based on a previous violation of the concussion protocol, that 2017 playoff game against the Steelers in which Bud Dupree lit up Matt Moore. He had a concussion. Anybody with half a brain watching knew it. If I remember correctly, he didn't even miss a play.

More recently, the Dolphins were busted for tampering while the league tried to sweep the accusations by Brian Flores that the owner offered to pay him to throw games under the rug. Their take was that he was just joking. That's a load of crap.

The injury last night was frightening, but I doubt it will matter. A player could die from a brain injury during a game on national television and I'm not sure the league would do more than pay lip service to the need to protect its players from concussions.

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Everyone needs to slow down.

Right now there's no evidence to indicate That had a concussion last week. The only evidence is him shaking his head to seemingly shake off the cob webs. The team has publicly stated he did not have a concussion. That doesn't mean they are being honest, but at the same time, you can't discount what they're saying without some kind of proof.

Also, he didn't die. He was knocked out. He was talking, moving, etc. The guy is fine.

This nonsense of him never playing football again is ridiculous. He'll be back, but he's a small dude so he's going to need to protect himself better

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I personally don't know any Man that hasn't had a concussion.....it's part of life ....unless You stay at home , never venture out, and have never done anything physical. Difference is they get paid Millions, and know what they are getting involved in. With all this said .....I do hope , and pray He's OK.

12. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    He got up, walked, collapsed. It wasn't just a shaking of the head

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Also he was not moving or talking (they stated he didn't talk until after he arrived at the hospital). In fact they strapped his hands down to where he couldn't move it.

So the only thing you have going for you is, "he didn't die".

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I can't prove they are lying, but that was either a concussion or a spinal injury that was severe enough that he should not have been playing. The NFLPA is challenging the way the situation was handled for good reason.

Second Impact Syndrome cause severe brain damage. Sometimes, it can cause death.

This wasn't about him being a small dude. Football is a violent game. Everybody, big or small, is at risk of brain injuries. Did Mike Webster end up with CTE because he was a small dude? How about Justin Strzelczyk? I met him in person. I promise you. Strzelczyk was not a small dude.

The teams and league failing to properly protect players with brain injuries is a serious issue. It led to a scary incident on the field, one that could have a lasting impact for Tagovailoa. He wasn't just knocked out. As Mashburn pointed out, he wasn't able to speak until a while after the injury. The way he held his hands up was a clear sign of brain trauma. Cavalier attitudes toward brain injuries are part of why the NFL gets away with this crap.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Football players are at much higher risk for concussions than the rest of us. They also take repeated blows to the head that can cause cumulative damage.

The issue here is someone who already had a concussion being exposed to further danger. No way in hell anybody should ever participate in a contact sport while still recovering from a concussion.

Yes, I admit I can't prove that he had one, but we all saw him unable to walk after hitting his head on the turf Sunday against the Bills. If some of you want to be stupid enough to buy the Dolphins' story about it being a back injury, not a brain injury, that's your problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is why they are paid millions to play a game....Because it's dangerous. I agree He should not have been playing last night, but He should not have been back last week also.
    People don't realize how many concussions We have received playing sports in junior high , and high school....for No money. As a person that played sports, raised cattle, and fought amateur... I've had plenty.
    I'm serious when I say ....I personally don't know any man My age that hasn't ever had a concussion, or multiple concussions. Doesn't mean there are none.....I just don't know any.
    After all that ....I again hope, and pray Tua is ok.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    None of that counters what I'm writing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Never tried to.....I agreed with You.:shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    What game? Football? baseball? etc.??

20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I was over my neighbors house who is a Bengals fan and I said "well that's nice that they are chanting Tua, Tua Tua as he's being carted off instead of throwing beer cans at him like they did to Big Ben". He laughed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Wow, I on the other hand never knew a man who had a concussion. Then again, most my friend are golfers and unless you get hit with a golf ball (extremely rare) you're pretty safe.

When I was starting out in Golf I hit a wicked grass burner and sadly a tiny little bird got in the way. Hit the little fellow so hard both his eyes popped out. I felt terrible and the A-holes on other tee box yelled birdie. I also have hit a bird mid flight. I was so pissed because it was a great shot that was headed for the green until birdie flew right in its path. Took a good 15 minutes for the bird to recover.

22. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    On Sunday his legs gave out twice. He had a concussion that’s not a guess it’s a fact. Did you watch the Bills vs Miami game or only watch the ESPN replay?

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wow!!!
    Definitely shows different lives lived My Friend. :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    The human body is the same as it was 50 years ago. There had to be guys in the 70's having concussions especially after playing the Steelers. I don't seem to remember it happening although it had to. Did the NFL try and wash it under the table back then??????

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So I have two questions for the discussion.

1.) Do you (the board) think the table was set for this type of incident when Kelce was jack-knife power bombed by Derwin James and unnamed Chargers player earlier this season when the Chiefs played the Chargers and the video clip went viral with little to no response from pundits and the league about the violence of the play? Clearly he could have been seriously injured yet it was glorified by many due to that violence.

2.) It has been well documented that refs will simply err on the side of not calling hits to qb's based on who they are while being over the top on others to the point of player x's pinkie finger grazed the face mask of the qb that's roughing the passer. If this had been another Florida based team's qb then the Bengals player would been suspended a moment after the play was dead. What message is being sent .

• Like Like x 1