1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers aren't the only team that is struggling in the AFC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 25, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Remember what I told You about Broncos???

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Should the Steelers somehow, someway, actually get to the number one pick, if I am AR 2, I would be having a FIELD DAY listening to offers come the opening night of the 2023 NFL Draft. So... many.. teams... need QBs and there are a plethora of them in the draft. Quite a bit of compensation will be needed to pry that number one overall pick; the Kings Chest being the bare minimum and the starting point.

All this said, I seriously doubt this team finishes that bad. Now, I do see Top 15 currently.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Anyone who doesn't understand the impact of losing the best defensive player in the NFL is too clueless to be in the discussion.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    The silver lining in all of this is that the Steelers are 6th best in the league in 3rd and distance. That means the offense is effective on 1st and 2nd down and aren't getting behind the sticks often. It's sustaining the drives that are the problem and boils down to dropped passes and Mitch not being able to find open guys or totally misfiring when he does spot a guy. Another issue is on these WR's not pushing past the sticks on their stop routes. As good as a route runner DJ is perceived to be, he almost always stops a yard or two shy of the marker and then runs backwards in his attempt to move up field. We can moan about the play-calling all we want (and it's valid), but there's a lot of poor execution by Mitch and these WR's that's stopping drives before they get started.

The defense isn't doing themselves any favors by playing bend but don't break defense. Even early in games they allow a first down or two before they force the opp to punt. That puts the O in bad field position as well. Both sides of the ball just aren't getting the job done, which results in the D getting ran over in the 2nd half due to fatigue.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    There is a faction that are way over the top and just looking to bash the team for whatever reason.
    That is a part of posting forums, just something we live with.
    Most here, I've found, have good logical reasons to support what they say.
    A long time ago, ~95, I was working for Washington at the time, and they discovered the internet and figured they wanted a presence there.
    So, me being head bottle washer at the time was elected to run a forum.
    Back then, trolls were thicker than hair on cat, and it was miserable to try to talk anything worthwhile about the team or the game.
    This place is by no means even close... I've found very good info and very good challenges.
    So no, no bashing, razing possibly. :)

In any case, the Steelers are struggling.
    I think most of us saw this coming, just not to what degree.
    I like what I heard Tomlin say, "It's all of us"
    The problem is, this is the NFL and there is no changing once you start the season.
    He was part of the build for the season, it is obvious things are not working.
    We as armchair GM's are here to remind him.

6. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Trubisky is horrible at reading the the field. He throws off his back foot constantly. And he’s very nervous in the pocket even when there’s no pressure.

That said, I’d go bottom-10 with Trubisky. There are a lot of really bad QBs this years - Fields, D. Jones, Mac Jones, Mayfield, Wentz and Ryan (thank goodness the Steelers passed on those options), Flacco, Mills. I’m not even sure Russell Wilson is an upgrade on Trubisky. And given Wilson’s contract I’d much much rather have Trubisky.

I’m in the start Pickett now camp, but I’m not sure the team will be markedly better with Pickett in there. I just think they might as well get him some experience now. The offense in general is just really disjointed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    well, remove the Minkah pick 6 - which the O did not do. then redo the math.

8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    You go ahead and figure it out. Check if the other teams have scored defensive or special teams touchdowns and get back to me. Or you can be lazy and criticize the information I posted.

9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    What about them? 2-1 despite terrible coaching.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I told You ....I Loved Wilson, but I didn't believe the team, or the coach was all that.... a lot of people said all they needed was Wilson....I said I don't agree. Wilson will Help, but they needed more.
    You said Wilson would fix it all.

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ryan was just great vs kc and he has a history of being good. Trubisky never has been good. Mayfield is bottom with trubisky. So is fields. Wentz has actually been ok outside last week. Threw 4 tds week 1 and 3 in week 2. Trubisky has thrown TWO all year. D Jones garbage. Flacco is a backup. Mills trash.

• Like Like x 1
  12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    The team and talent looks good.personell wise it's NOTHING missing. The problem has been the coach and playcalling. I thought russ would take over more as that's part of why he left seattle. I think as the season goes on they'll be fine. Their the same record as all the other top teams in the afc despite how bad the coaching has been. And we saw russ on that gw drive say F the coach and started doing his thing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    13 teams have a lower scoring average per game than the steelers

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

and we're only 17 points away from being undefeated 3-0

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
  15. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Whether it was by the offense or the defense, it was still points scored by the steelers. If you look at points scored for any team in the NFL, they do not differentiate if it was the offense or defense that scored those points. Points scored is a team stat

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Heard today that there are 17 teams across the league averaging less than 20 points per game up to this point. A lot of offences are struggling to move the ball for whatever reason, and scoring is down across the board.

I didn’t expect much from this season and as soon as Watt went down I expected even less. They have missed him so badly and just can’t get any consistent pressure with the guys they now have.

The offence is too easy to play against. The play calling is predictable and teams don’t believe that Mitch can hurt them down the field (because he mostly can’t), and then he is not efficient enough as a dink and dunk passer.

Then you have the coordinator. Canada is done after this year and probably won’t ever work in the NFL again. In fairness there are issues at QB and across the line but there is still no excuse for the offence being this anaemic with the skill guys they have. This team is going to be a hard watch for the foreseeable unfortunately.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You never hear the team or coach mention never having a losing season, it's always the media or fans like you :rolleyes:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    For how many yards gained

Steelers once cut their leading tackler after the season was over

Like Bush teams ran at him for big gains

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well 26 Qbs have scored more Tds, and 26 Qbs have thrown more Yards than Trubisky.....So....that sucks.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not You. LoL

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Like I said....before....all I know is 26 Qbs have scored more TDs, and 26 Qbs have thrown for more yards than Trubisky. So apparently the other points are coming from elsewhere.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    When Ben threw off his back foot and sailed commonly intercepted seldom caught

In the middle he was Good/Bad Ben

If the planted his front foot hard I knew it was a completion before it left his hand

25. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    We're the only one getting worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1