1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by One Time, Sep 25, 2022.

1. One Time

One Time Member

Dec 10, 2021
    If he's not ready now, what does that say about the scouting department. They could have drafted help along the line, then waited for next draft for a qb. This stinks to high heaven. Why bring Mitch in? Why draft Kenny? This whole thing is confusing. I don't get it . But I guess they are playing for 8-8-1. That will show em. The Standard and all that.

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It's more than just play on the field. It's the prepping between games the rhythm of the schedule, seeing how teams gameplan against you (admittedly not much changes for the steelers week to week). He's also never played as many games as he'd be expected to if you throw him in early.

You'd like to say but what about Ben? I'd argue that Ben was in too early and never got that time to acclimate and figure it out, he was going on pure talent and never had to look at himself and evaluate how he approached it until he started getting injured.

I don't know what Mitch did last year, but if he couldn't fix his mechanics with the guy that fixed Josh Allen, then he's just not going to do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. One Time

One Time Member

Dec 10, 2021

4. One Time

One Time Member

Dec 10, 2021
    My point is, why draft a guy whose older than just about every rookie drafted the year before just to sit him behind a guy who is definitely not a starter in the NFL? I don't get it. If Pickett doesn't start against the Jets then I don't have a clue about what's going on in the front office..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    At least that last part is true.

You draft the guy you think is your long-term quarterback, whether you choose to start him early in his rookie season or not. It really isn't that difficult, but many people here are having trouble with the concept.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Tomlin doesn't panic, but he will reach his limit.

I think he will only put up with 3 or 4 more games like this past one.

If we don't improve by bye week I think he makes the switch.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Pickett not starting due to Mitchell Trubisky says nothing about the scouting department whatsoever. For that matter, the plan was to draft a QB long before Mitchell Trubisky was signed on; Mitch himself confirming that the Steelers notified him that a QB will be selected in the upcoming draft. Getting back to Pickett, as I have said before and will again, barring an injury, I do not expect to see Picket until Week 10; a week after their bye week.

For me, that is the most likely of places that Tomlin will insert Pickett into the lineup assuming this continues. However, should performances like the ones that were shown at Cleveland continue, I would expect that decision to happen sooner rather than later. Even for someone as patient as Tomlin is, there are limits to how much patience can be tested on even people like him.

Mind you.... not just Mitch though. Canada as well. Truth be told and, as I stated before again, the only way that Matt Canada does not call plays again is if Mike Sullivan takes over Offensive Play Calling duties. He does have the experience within the NFL to call said plays so it would make sense for him to do it. Canada will likely be relieved of his duties after this season concludes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. One Time

One Time Member

Dec 10, 2021
    Yeah, I get a little carried away. I've been watching this team for over 40 years, only missed one game. 93 playoff against

9. One Time

One Time Member

Dec 10, 2021
    I don't disagree with you on what was told to mitch. But I question that decision. Today's NFL is not the same as when Terry played. Either you have faith in the giy you drafted or not. At least see what you have. The salary cap makes things different from what it used to be. Leave him on the bench and waist a year with mitch, then start him lYe in the season and not know what you have, then next draft comes and what do you do?

10. One Time

One Time Member

Dec 10, 2021
    I'm sorry guys. I'm usually a lurker. I've been a fan since the 70s. I'm just frustrated, if Kenny isn't good enough to start, then he sucks and our scouting department needs to be fired. Mitch might be the nicest guy in the world but he's not a starter in the NFL. Just not. Maybe Kenny isn't either. But I'd rather find out now than after it's too late.. 8-8-1 be dammed. Let's see what we have. Ffs

11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    It all has to do with a plan. We don't have to agree with the plan. But it is what it is, and when plans like this backfire, it's what gets coaches fired. I think it's more about giving Mitch a fair chance to grow or not. I personally think Mitch won't grow much more than he already is and we should insert Kenny. But the worse things get on both sides of the ball, should mark the time it is to start Pickett. Sometimes asserting a player into that starting role provides a much needed spark, and you see a totally different team out there. And I'm not saying players stop trying or anything, but a change at QB tends to reinvigorate players. But that extra spark only lasts so long before things lag again. Like a second wind when you're working a double shift.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Who says he's not ready?
    Just because they aren't starting him doesn't mean that he's not ready.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Kennywood...Let’s Ride!

14. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe not at Kennywood after last night.

16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe they know Canada's system sucks and instead of having Pickett run it, they want Mitch to do it then let Canada go and start Pickett from scratch...LMAO

17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    More like "Let's RUN!"

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes unfortunately.

19. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    If this truly is the case, then they should've fired him in January after the game against the Chiefs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with you. He is going to be the face of this team and the future. Not Trubisky. I have a hunch as much as Tomlin says he is not considering a chance he is considering a change. Sometimes I think coaches say stuff to not expose their hand. I predicted 4-5 game before season started to see Kenny. Still thinking 4-5 .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They’re not going to go 8-8-1 with Mitchell Trubisky at quarterback. :facepalm:

By the way @TerribleTowelFlying, this is my 10,000th post! Do I get some kind of bonus for this? :shrug::thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    The best way for Pickett to “acclimate and figure it out” is to let him play in real games against real defenses. It’s amazing at the people are afraid of putting our shiny new toy on the field because we might do irreparable damage to him. I call bullcrap to this way of thinking :bscow:. It’s time for Pickett’s NFL education to begin?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    By the way @TerribleTowelFlying, this is my 10,000th post! Do I get some kind of bonus for this? :shrug::thumbs_up:[/QUOTE]

Congrats on 10K. Wished I had that kind of time!

24. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Congrats on 10K. Wished I had that kind of time![/QUOTE]

LOL…dude, I work 50-60 hours on average a week and this has been spread out over a few years so I assure you I don’t sit on my lazy butt all day posting on TSF if that’s what you’re implying.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We’re looking for quality over quantity. :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 1