1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin says "definitly no" to starting pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    honestly they should just shut watt down for the rest of the year and start mitch for the remainder of the year. get a top 5 pick and get the best Olineman in the draft. trade the guys you can for more draft capital. this team is not competitive and the coach is too conservative or doesn't trust his offense. or both. which is a huge issue. and you won't win many games with that mindset. and if Tomlin isn't playing pickett because he sucks, draft the QB from Bama with that surefire top 5 pick

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    There's a saying that more young QBs are destroyed than developed. Many are thrown into the fire when they aren't ready and/or when the unit around them isn't good enough, they get beat up and fail, and all sorts of bad things happen. And, sure, the great ones over come that but there have been a lot more busts than successful NFL QBs.

I was in favor of a short/cheap deal for Trubisky because he seemed like a good 2nd chance candidate (Tannehill being the best example) and I thought he was athletic and capable enough to fit what Canada "really" wanted to do. In truth, I don't WTF our offense is trying to accomplish, nor does it appear the players understand, but whatever. Ben was leaving, Mason and Haskins had not succeeded, and everyone just knew none of the '22 QB class was NFL ready.

Well, Mitch has not improved since we last saw him. I had hoped that working with Allen/Daboll would correct some errors, like throwing off his back foot, and improve his ability to read defenses. Maybe some of that stuff, including general maturity, had gotten better. Turns out, it did not. He's still the same guy, and like most retread QBs, he is not going to work out. He'll probably spend 18 years in the league, play sparingly, and make many millions. No shame there. I will say, under the best of circumstances, he might've had a chance - he's showed glimpses of ability - but he's nowhere near good enough to overcome the massive shortcomings of guys like Nagy and Canada.

So, this is entirely about Kenny now. This season is lost, not that it ever had a real chance. There are so many things to fix and that's all 2022 can be about going forward. If they think Canada can figure this out (which he can't but...) then he needs to do so. If they want to let Sullivan call plays and send Canada to, well, Canada, that's fine, too. Improve the design, scheme, and play calling. The OLine is showing the right corrections and improvements but it needs to keep growing. The skill players are all in their 4th NFL season or less and we need to keep developing them.

When there is more stability on offense, Pickett should start. At 24, and with his skill and personality, I think he can handle himself fine but they have to do all they can to help him. Until that time, play Mitch. Trubisky was signed to be a bridge, so let him bridge. Bridges get run over by cars. I don't want that for Kenny. Yes, Mason could have bridged, too, but they had a little hope that Trubisky might hold some value if he figured things out here. It was a low cost bet, and a reasonable one, it just isn't going to work out. No biggie there.

• Like Like x 3
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hate to say I agree. I like Tomlin everyone on here knows this, but I have a hard time remembering a group of Wrs/TE acting like this 2 a Qb in a long time. . Mike Tomlin has 2 be seeing this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. SteelersBane

SteelersBane Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    And we were extremely fortunate to win that game considering how they played towards the end of regulation and through a good chunk of Halftime, we could easily have been 0-2-1 or 0-3.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I didn't see it, but that means nothing. I was so focused on the field. :thumbs_up:

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have always viewed that as a cop out. I think You will either be good, or You will not....97% of the time as a Qb. Many Many Many Qbs that have turned out great have been thrown to the wolves on bad teams, and eventually ended up great.
    I believe most say that because it was a Guy they thought would be good , and they didn't turn out that way. JMO. :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    So 3 games in you want to shut it down and play for draft picks. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    The real question is if the team as a whole can make up for any mistakes Pickett will make in his learning curve. Remember, Ben had a strong supporting cast in his rookie year. Do we want a Lamar Jackson type development or a Baker Mayfield?

9. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    The reality is we should be 0-3. We're a bad team and not just a competent QB away from winning our division. We'd go from a competent back up in Trubisky (which i think what he's given us is what you'd want from a back up)...to an unproven rookie, who looked good against 2nd and 3rd string players in preseason, vanilla football. I think Pickett has some potential based on what little I've seen. But QB history in the NFL suggest he's more likely to be a journeyman than a franchise QB. I hope he's a Franchise guy...but I won't be surprised if he's not.

There's nothing to gain by putting Pickett in at the moment...maybe a few squeaker wins that makes a fan happy on Sunday, nothing more. I wait till they bye week and then play Pickett the remainder of the season. We'll know just as much about what we have, or don't have, in Pickett in the final 8 games as we would if he played the next 13. The upside is we minimize his exposure to negativity. And once we make the switch...it's a short enough time where you don't have to pull him if he's not playing well to avoid paying musical chairs with the QB like we see some second rate franchises do.

I'm actually surprised at how surprised people are with the team not being any good. What did people expect? We moved on from an HOF QB of 18 years. And turned over the o-line with bargain FAs and mid-round draft picks. And have a first round MLB who's a bust. I mean...the writing was on the wall.

10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The last time that I remember that happening was when AB would take a fit when Landry Jones didn't get the ball to him.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes....I agree Ab:thumbs_up:, but this is a whole group ....can You imagine what AB would be like right now. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, total cop out.These QBS that didnt pan out isn’t because they were “ruined” it’s because they lacked the talent.

You either have it or you don’t. These aren’t delicate flowers you have to handle like a carton of eggs, they are athletes with A type personalities. Put Pickens in and maybe save this season. The very least he will gain valuable experience.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    agree. It's not as simple as looking at the final score, or even final stats. Even without TJ there was some good play, obviously there also is some holes that cannot be ignored. But you can't keep the D on the field that long before things start unraveling.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Tomlin acts like the Steeler offense is hard to figure out. I mean it even took the great Trubisky a couple months to get it down pat. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner :thumbs_up::this!:
    If He's good He will eventually be good ....maybe not this Year , but later....like You said "the very least He will gain valuable experience ". :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    If Canada keeps the same plan I don't think anyone can be successful. I think Kenny offers more...and that need to appropriate that. I don't care if his Int vs Td rate is the same..if they are at least moving the ball and scoring tds. This tryingbto hold a one point lead by going turtle is just asinine. Mitch has no confidence..and his players have little or no confidence in him. That said, once you make a move you stick with it regardless of how ugly it looks.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You know how they stop that? Make a stop.

Didn't help that the Browns run game is essentially block down one way and grab the back shoulder so Chubb can cut back and break arm tackles. Cam was sick of it by the 4th quarter, saw him jawing at the ref several times while motioning to his shoulder. You don't call it then you have to play through it though.

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Cleveland?

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Have no idea how it will work. But every mistake made is an opportunity to teach...you take that attitude with Kenny and build from.there. it's going to happen. We want it now lol

• Like Like x 2
  21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think this will eventually turn into another press conference where he explains that it is a copy and paste error again, and what he now meant to post was that Kenny would be starting next weeks game.

After Rooney brings Tomlin into his office again this year, and tells him he needs Tomlin to redo the Depth chart again.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Josh Allen had a awful rookie season in 2018.QB rating below 70

You have to be mentally tough and of course be very good at this position to be successful.Some it was the case like Josh Allen, some not like Joey Harrington...A player is always going to have adversity at some point in their career, so no reason to wait for so long with Pickett

I'm not saying Pickett is the next Josh Allen, but my point is that the good ones can handle adversity too even if they struggle early.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

This was while they actually had the camera on Tomlin on the sideline talking to the guy. Not the time when he was talking to Gum chopper either…lol

I’m gonna see if I can find it on replay

• Like Like x 1
  24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I agree. I don't think many people were expecting a SB this year. Clearly we need to rebuild a bit. Why not let Kenny get some experience this year, hopefully have a solid draft and give'er hell next year.

I'm not saying that it would be impossible to go to the SB with KP this season, but it's highly unlikely.

But to be honest, I think Trubisky's chances are about the same. Maybe less. Might as well start the kid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That was interesting and would like to compare it with a few other QB's around the league their last game. Way to lazy to do the research.