1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stop this Tomlin hate! (Here's Comparisons to other active coaches)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Maybe he's just the Dan Bylsma of the NFL but with more longevity. Both win a title early in their career, both have a very good regular season record with Pit, but they both struggle in the playoffs after their title. Only difference is that the Pens were less patient with that

3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    nice game Mike. Nice work

4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Tomlin doesn't rely on analytics, analytics rely on Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    he rode on Ben for 15 years. the gig is up, as they say.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Our coaching staff was outcoached last night. A young guy with an injured team had a great game plan to beat the Steelers. Yes they have Chubb and Hunt. But there were at least three starters missing from their defense. Brisset was 21 for 31 for 220 yards. They had 161 yards rushing. 381 yards total offense. This with a guy playing QB that has been a journeyman QB for years. The Steelers were outcoached last night. Pure and simple. The Browns had a great plan and they executed it very well. So I guess without Ben at QB Tomlin isn't very good. He has had a Hall of Fame QB his entire coaching career. Now Ben has played like ass in a lot of playoff games. I get it. But to have a guy like Ben your entire career and have the results that Tomlin has had is not what I would expect from a great coach. So we'll have almost a week and a half to get ready for the next game. We'll see what this clown show can come up with. I expect more of the same.

Here's a quote from Tomlin. Really good analysis here:

“I thought they controlled the game. They possessed the ball. Nick Chubb controlled the game,” a clearly perturbed Mike Tomlin said.

“If you can’t slow down Chubb, you can’t beat this team. We kind of knew that. We didn’t get it done.

Note he said he "thought" they controlled the game. I'm done with Tomlin

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    It would never happen under Bill Cowher!

8. Tank McGee

Tank McGee Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    The Steelers have been in a downward spiral for the past five years due to ineffective leadership by the coaching staff. Time to clean house, Mr. Rooney.

9. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    That defense was terrible.
    They cannot generate heat on the QB and are awful against the run.
    They cannot generate any TO's.
    TJ will not solve this.

The buzzards will feast well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yep. The posters that are putting up hate are venting because of what we've done lately. As others have mentioned, they come out more frequently after a loss to express their opinion about why. If someone were to put up a poll question like "Has MT been a solid NFL coach over his entire time as Pittsburghs HC", I'd say well over 50% was say yes. Personally, I'd love for him to go away but I don't think he is a bad coach let alone one of the worst of all time. Many, like me, are just tired of the lack of change, innovation, and new ideas and gettng the same results year to year and game to game. As an example, how long will we continue to do the same BS in developing a contending OL? How long have we needed revamping of the OL? Getting hand me downs and plugging them in doesn't seem to work but that is what needs to change but isn't. How many OC's have we gone through in the past several years and many still believe we have the wrong guy in place. There are other examples that people are not happy with which is expected when someone is around for so many years. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he's got a losing season going now.:applaud::cool:

12. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Ok, with all this being said about the infamous coach Tomlin how about we hire someone who can coach the coaches because Tomlin is imo lacking that talent. The teams that we use to have no problem beating are now beating us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, you and I are close to being on the same page, but there are a number of folks who act like he’s out there making ISIS fan videos. Right now I’m not thinking about sending him packing. At this point I want to see how he does with a (hopefully) new long-term QB at the helm. Did Ben’s heroics carry Tomlin or did Ben’s personality, power within the organization and failures in the postseason have a net negative effect? I personally think it’s more the former, but I don’t think we can discount the latter as causing some adversity. I want to see where things go in 2022 and 2023, and then look at whether a change at the helm is needed.

As for the O line. I hated how poorly we addressed it before the 2021 season, and was very vocal about it out here. I think steps were taken this past off-season, and I’m seeing gelling. It was not a terrible O line performance last night. We’re really a competent LT away from having a middle of the road O Line. I do get why we didn’t address LT this off-season. Moore was showing growth and potential all last season. So far this year he’s pretty bad, but is it temporary or does he just suck? I don’t know. By the time this season ends O line may not be at the top of the talent acquisition priority list.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It's only going to get worse.... the buzzards will feast well.
    I've been around losing franchises, Washington which destroyed any hope year in and year out.
    Pittsburgh has always been a solid franchise, and people have not by any stretch of the imagination seen "The Pits"
    People will bellyache to the 'nth degree. It's a given.

Pittsburgh has problems, that is for sure.
    The question becomes, is it a "Flush the entire thing" degree of problems? Unsalvageable?

I think a QB that can sustain some drives and put up some points goes long way in the right direction.
    Anyone that thinks finding a QB in the bat of an eye, should not be watching football.
    This was a risk from the day Ben started his slide.
    If you change QB's like you do hats, that's not going to work, it never has.
    Mitch cannot provide a spark... those 2 3-and-outs were pitiful and when the team needed him.

Then there's the execution. Drops, stupid penalties, wrong routes..... yuk. :(
    This is a mess, but far from hopeless

• Like Like x 1
  15. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    It wasn't Tomlin that didn't have losing seasons... in reality, it was Ben that didn't have losing seasons - Tomlin just hopped on for the ride and took credit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    If not for a long snappers injury,The Steelers are 0-3...

Brought in this supposed " unbelievable LB whisperer " Coach in Flores...Added Jack, Ogunjobi, Leal ...And the D is still atrocious...

If you still think the Fraud Tomlin wasn't carried by Ben his ENTIRE career... You're crazy!

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    MT has had many advantages other teams coaches have not had and done very little thats great since 2010. He had a hall of fame qb and only won one title. what a joke. Only reason he has one is Cowhers d. Now MT d is most expensive in league and worst at stopping run. Isnt d his specialty

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Question: Are you the bizarro SDOT?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    MT is like a Italian chef who cant make pasta or sauce. D sucks and is highest priced in league and sucks.

20. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Don't ever compare me to that guy

21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That was a little funny. Mash I'm sure you been around long enough to know a lot of fans are, "what have you done for me lately".

Tomlin's accomplishments are going to be pretty meaningless on this board. He is going to get his butt handed to him this season on this wonderful board.

• Like Like x 3
  22. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The stupid penalties and wrong routes are on the coaching, and drops to a lesser extent, in regards to getting players to focus. I agree with the rest of your post. Yes, the mess is far from hopeless, but looking at the Steelers recent playoff performances, I am not convinced that Tomlin is the one to fix the mess.

The team is drafting backwards in putting the emphasis on skilled positions over the lines. It's like building a house, a fancy roof is going to look terrible on a unstable foundation.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Yes, you should always draft to the stables (OL, DL)
    The stupid penalties are player inflicted - there was a face mask that didn't get called but in the replay, real apparent. Those guys are coached better than that.
    There is something to said about coaching here, "Do the players buy into the system?"
    I am starting to wonder. (Austin? He was a bit of a reach)

Drops are a drop-off in talent. I am also starting to wonder about the WR group.
    But one can't be sure until the QB plays better. I think they don't trust Mitch.

The lack of 'confidence in Tomlin' is what it is.
    I've been in the Bldg with him, been on opposite sideline, I am related to a front office person, etc...
    I will say this, he runs a tight ship, he's not afraid of moves, he embodies a tough football mentality.
    But, sometimes, there comes a time when enough is enough, maybe that time has come here. Cowher and Noll moved on.
    Then it becomes time to find a Sean McVay type... or so we hope.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I would like to see first half run defense stats vs second half. Teams offense is so bad opposing teams keep running the ball and wearing us out. If we played ahead the running would stop. Running also takes away our strength the pass rush. I think 2017 jags defense were built similar

• Like Like x 1
  25. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I appreciate your insights. I believe Tomlin could still be a great coach, but talent evaluation and coaching staff needs to be improved.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1