1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stop this Tomlin hate! (Here's Comparisons to other active coaches)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is also important to look at recent results. Reid had his team in the Super Bowl two years ago. His team won it the year before. Tomlin's last appearance was 12 years ago and his team's victory was 14 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Mike Tomlin is a great coach. My main issue with him is how he mismanaged the clock situations at times. He is being compared to Bill Belichick and Andy Reid. They are great coaches as well, but let's not forget Bill Belichick days in Cleveland. He was the head coach for them for 5 years, and made the playoffs once. Bill goes to New England, and him and Tom Brady work magic together. Andy Reid had 3 losing years in Philly, and let's not forget about Andy's first 5 years in Kansas City, they had some bad losses in the playoffs. Andy got Patrick Mahomes, and they worked magic. Coach T never had a losing season with the Steelers, also for him to win a Super bowl in his 2nd year as a head coach, and go to another Super Bowl 2 years later after that is a big deal. I feel that if the Steelers would have made the playoffs with that horrible offense in 2019, he would have been coach of the year that season. I feel that he catches TOO MANY flack at times. People need to calm down. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Not sure many would say MT is amongst the worst HC's around. I believe that its more of the feeling that he's has been at the helm for so long, and the view that this team needs new ideas, coordinators and other coaches, and so forth. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Tomlin had a franchise quarterback in Ben for years. Now the that Tomlin does not have his security blanket the curtain has been pulled back and now the world can see how incompetent Mike Tomlin really is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Another Tomlin thread eh? Like I always say: THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE!

Read some commentary here on Reid vs Tomlin. I`ll say this. I believe Reid IS better than Tomlin, but Reid is not coming here.

We have a coach that is above average, but a cut below Reid and no other coach available better than Tomlin.

So what`s the point of this subject other than to bash Tomlin (or kiss his butt)?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Tomlin has a very good won loss record through the years no doubt about that. However he had a HOF QB every year except one. Cowher managed to have the same career record as Tomlin while having QB's like Bubby Brister, NOD, Jim Miller, Mike Tomczak, Kent Graham, Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox. That's what makes Cowhers record more impressive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Tank McGee

Tank McGee Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    The problem is the downward trend of the team's performance. The longer Tomlin has been here...the worse the team has performed. Tomlin took over a team that was considered an elite team in the NFL. The team is no longer considered elite team or a legitimate SB contender. If you're happy with that, cool for you. I was disgusted seeing Tomlin laughing and joking on the sidelines last week as his team put on a pathetic display on the field. Tomlin has created an atmosphere in which 9-8 and getting blown out in the early rounds of the playoffs is "winning."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    If Tomlin were fired today, there's probably a few team that might just fire their coach to get Tomlin.
    He keeps the team competitive even when age and cap number keep forcing changes.

I like promoting from within, it's a good policy.
    But at the same time, he needs to keep an eye open on innovative coaches as coordinators.
    For example, he could have robbed Washington of McVay when he was coaching TE's (many already knew he was headed for big time)
    Not saying that was the way to go, but just an example of watching staffs for potential.
    The GM has a role there too in finding these guys.

Canada is a guy I am still figuring out.
    I see plays working but I see bad execution or mistakes.
    I also see some plays where he sends 5 out and 4 are in the same zone.
    Mitch isn't Ben in that Ben could look over at A. Brown and they read the same thing and make a play.
    Mitch also isn't Ben who came to the line and could adjust the play maybe as much as 3 times.
    I need to see Mitch more comfortable in tossing the long ball and maintain momentum.
    He probably doesn't have the freedom to audible like Ben, but then again from what I know of him, I'm not sure I am that comfortable.
    BTW: It's not Mitch bashing, it's just a piece of the puzzle.

Back to Tomlin, he's solid if nothing else. Some of the things I read are far-fetched.
    I think the same folks would complain about Noll during the 70's.
    One just needs to look at that train wreck in Washington to see what changing coaches on a yearly basis does...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We've been over this too many times. No playoff wins in 6 years and counting. Only 3 postseason appearances in past 6 years and all 3 were embarrassing losses. Not good for a franchise that measures success by titles and Lombardi trophies. Time for a change.
    Screenshot_20220922-123928_Chrome.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Roethlisberger was no longer anywhere close to Hall of Fame level the last two seasons. Your point is well taken and I'd certainly take Cowher over Tomlin, but this team hasn't had a HOF-caliber quarterback since 2018.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Bill Cowher coached 15 seasons.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Why do I feel like we've had this same discussion before? Many many times before.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Reason I and others complain about his Playoff one and done as of late is because a lot of us feel we had the better team on paper but Mr. Mike did not motivate them enough to get er done.

Impossible to know but give Bellisuck this team the last 10 years and I'm guessing much more success come Playoff time.

I guess we are about to see how good a Coach Mike is without a franchise QB. Although I sure the hell hope we got real lucky and Pickett becomes one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Tomlin hasn't had a franchise quarterback since 2018. Roethlisberger was still playing, but he was well below what he had been in his prime.

I don't think Tomlin's teams lack motivation. I think they lack discipline.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

He’s 1-1. The team has given up 37 points in those two games. I’m the second if it weren’t for a couple boneheaded plays we win.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Woops. I should be beaten with a granny switch for that awful mistake.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  17. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Well said. You are right. It is discipline.

18. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019

If he is so good , then why after 16 years there is no tomlin coaching tree??? . he's great of you're satisfied with just being average.

• Like Like x 2
  19. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    To be fair we have been blessed with 3 damn good Coaches who have made the Pittsburgh Steelers one of the best organizations in the NFL since the merger in 1970. Ton of HOF players, I believe second most Playoff appearances. I think we are something like 8-8 or 8-9 in AFCCG's. Shoot, we were one win away from being in 8-9 more SB's.

Alas it is human nature to want more.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I've said it many times... it's time to move on from Popcorn. Time for a new head coach. It's overdue at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Cowher had 9 coaches who worked under him become head coaches. Tomlin has had 1 - Arians - who left Pittsburgh by "retiring" and also already had 13 years in the league and 30 years coaching overall when MT hired him.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Really? Have you read what several of the posters on this board have to say about him?

• Like Like x 1
  23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Numbers, great.

• Like Like x 1
  24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Or, you can say if it weren't for missed kicks by cinci, we're 0-2. See how that works? Not that I care, 2 games is a tiny sample size, I'm just saying this could have won stuff goes both ways.

Tomlin has had very little success since 2010. The guy inherited a legit superbowl contender and he didn't screw it up. He rode that team to a SB win and another appearance. It's been a disaster since then. Losing to Tim Tebow, Jax, Cleveland. That's just embarassing. Plus our win against Cinci was completely undeserved. Cinci had that game in the bag but they literally gave it to us because they were undisciplined idiots.

But hey, keep throwing out stats like they mean something. I choose to actually watch the games to evaluate this team, as well as the coaches.

Also, 80% of stats are correct 70% of the time. See, I can make up percentages too

25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    On top of inheriting a SB contending team, Tomlin inherited a HOF QB. Go look at the records of other HOF QB's, such as Brady, Rodgers, Manning, etc. See how many losing seasons those guys have. Generally speaking, once a HOF QB gets used to the league, they don't have losing seasons. They tend to keep their team competitive. Ben did just that. Take Ben out of the equation and replace him with an average QB. Do you really think Tomlin has the numbers he currently has?