1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stop this Tomlin hate! (Here's Comparisons to other active coaches)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...-coach-rankings-2022/oc7siixznqavu4lz2dzlylua

Only reid, bellicheck and laflur have .700+ seasons. Then sean mcvay at .670. then you get to Tomlin at .643.

But what's those other coaches success in post season.

Sean mcvay.... 7-3

Andy Reid.... 9-7

Bill bellick.... 30-12

Matt lafleur.... 2-3

Tomlin has played in 241 games. And is 8-9 post season. Only bill bellichick is better in regular and post. McVay looks like he could be better than Tomlin. But after that, tomlin is sitting with top 7 coaches in similar post season success..... after that it drops off. And it gets ugly bad for post season success.

- 17 coaches haven't had post season success. Majority never even have a post season. (That's 50% truly suck.)
    - how many have had 10 chances in the post season? Only 4. (12%).
    - 9 coaches have a .600+ (28%)

Oh and just a reminder, tomlin hasn't had a losing season..... he is 10-5 having a post season.

So y'all who complain, if you ever get your way. Please understand we've been very blessed with 2 great coaches who are in the top 5 for being active at their time. (Meaning the other 85% of coaches are worse).

I don't think you'll know how to react to back to back losing seasons . But there's more of a chance of that happening than finding a top 5 coach.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Now that Ben is gone It's going to be interesting what he will do...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Just so I'm extra clear.... y'all would be complaining about chuck freaking noll.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Chuck freaking Knoll?:roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 8
  5. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    You act like big Ben played every single game. Furthermore it hasn't even been a season. Yet here you are in the bandwagon just thinking it's a chance to be bad? You literally have no reason to be thinking this.

Furthermore, do you know what Tomlin is actually known for outside of the organization? For having a defense over and over again. Yes people know he's had big Ben. But people know big Ben hasn't played all those games, as well big Ben was busted up, yet tomlin got us too still having a post season.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Oh, let me grab my popcorn for this one. Have you seen how many people talk about the fact that Tomlin has never had a losing season in a derogatory sense? This will be fun. :popcorn:

Disclaimer: I have not been all that satisfied with Tomlin for a few years now. The 2018 late season collapse was my breaking point. However I would not want the team to move on without having an absolute rock solid replacement, and that’s really hard to find. When the question is asked “so who is available that you would replace him with?” I never find a good answer. I’m not part of the rabid anti-Tomlin crowd, but I also feel like he has a tendency to stumble in his leadership in the biggest moments.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I swear bro. Some of these people on here don't even know Tomlin is the most winning regular season coach we've ever had.

8. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    And that's understandable being upset with 2018+. And like you said there needs to be a rock there for knowing we will have a top 5 coach.

However as of right now, there's no coach there.

..... I'm sure most of these haters here, hear a sexy name signing with a team, but then ignore what that sexy name goes on to do.

For instance failclown fans thought Dan Quinn was going to be amazing. After all, he was the DC for the Seachickens amazing defense. But what did he do? He sniffed the superbowl one season and the rest he was a joke. In fact many say Shanahan was the reason he went to the superbowl.

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Overall records of Steelers coaches since 1969.

Coach Noll - 22 seasons - Regular season 193-148-1, Playoffs 16 wins 8 losses.

Coach Cowher - 14 seasons - Regular Season 149-90-1, Playoffs 12 wins 9 losses.

Coach Tomlin - 16 seasons - Regular season 155-86-2, Playoffs 8 wins 7 losses.

We've been spoiled.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Solid way to start your campaign for president of the Mike Tomlin Apologist club. I'd say you've got a decent chance at landing it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Dang right we have. And I hope we continue. But if they ever listen to these boards and social media, it will be ugly. We would be looking like the lions before we know it.

12. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

Just to be clear...I have no problem for Tomlin to stay with us as long as he wants since we can have way worse but he has to improve some things, either not be too loyal with his bad assistant coach like Canada and his QB as it is right now...His playoff resume must be better, because since 2011 it's not very good.Some other thing he must be better

I liked Bill Cowher better as a head coach, but it's true that Tomlin is a good head coach...Both can be true at the same time

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Are you sure it's not Bill Kcowher?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I thought Chuck was a God but I was young and so happy to be the best but I do remember older guys bitching about him at times.

I think a lot on here, me included, believe that Tomlin's REGULAR season record is amazing. Most teams would kill for that record over 14 years. IMO and others he'd never have had that success without Ben R. His Playoff success, meh. He had the teams to go a lot further in the Playoffs but alas it didn't happen. I think the year Jacksonville kicked our ass we had a ton of Pro Bowlers.

This is just my opinion but I think good old Mike is about to get his butt handed to him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    If you think I'm making a defendant case for him, you're sadly mistaken.
    As I pointed out though only 4 active coaches have had 10 games in the post season. And only one of those has had significantly more than tomlin.

17. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Losing against Tebow and against 2 of the worst team in the last 10-12 years(Jaguars and Browns) in the playoffs is a big black spot for Tomlin

18. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Also Cowher has also never lost to a team with 10 or fewer wins in the playoffs.It happens 4 times for Tomlin

19. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    85% of organizations would want to have a Regular season success like Tomlin.

almost 90% would want the post season like Tomlin has had. As I said, only 3 have had more than 10 games in post season..... and Tomlin has taken us to the post season 10 out of 15 times.

While more than 50% of organizations don't even have a post season win. And then out of that remaining 50% only 4 coaches have post seasons like Tomlin..... so to call his post season meh, is head scratching.

20. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

The problem,Tomlin is 3-7 in the playoffs since 2011 and 8-9 in his career.It need to improves big time

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    So now you want to compare noob active coaches? And not just a regular coach but a true HOF coach.... :facepalm:

Anyhow cowher 12-9
    Tomlin 8-9.
    Both 15 seasons.

That's a huge difference to you?

22. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Not having a post season at all is a huge black spot.... again I'll say....

85% of organizations would want to have a Regular season success like Tomlin.

almost 90% would want the post season like Tomlin has had. Only 3 coaches have had more than 10 games in post season..... and Tomlin has taken us to the post season 10 out of 15 times.

While more than 50% of organizations don't even have a post season win. And then out of that remaining 50% only 4 coaches have post seasons like Tomlin (only 12% like Tomlin. Only 1 is actually better).

So who in the world you want besides Bill bellicheck and McVay? What makes you think we could find someone like Bill? What makes you think we will find someone like bill, instead of the other 90% that are worse than Tomlin?

23. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Positive

Screenshot_20220922_081201.jpg

So see this is why I'm so confused with all this hate on this board. Y'all don't even know what kind of head coach we have. (And I'm not directing that at you. Just meaning in general I'm willing to bet majority of the haters/dislikers have no clue at these numbers I'm showing).

24. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

I don't think Tomlin is bad, but I'm just saying he has to be better in the playoffs....I'm sure Tomlin thinks the same

Btw, I don't believe that only McVay and Belichick is similar or better than Tomlin. Andy Reid is better, John Harbaugh and Pete Carroll is at least similar and I'm just talking about HC's who have 10 years or more of experience...If we just look at the stats and ignore the context we could say that Mike McCarthy is a top 5 head coach....

Mike McCarthy Record, Statistics, and Category Ranks | Pro-Football-Reference.com

25. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Yea no losing seasons is impressive but no playoff wins in 5 years is bad for what once was proud franchise. Honestly going 500 means little it’s all about playoffs ! I’ll watch but knowing we have little chance of a playoff run sucks. In my opinion Steelers are a mess from top to bottom

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1