1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Najees Vision

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, not his eye sight but how he sees the field and his decision making are concerning. I think he can overcome this but right now, its not all on the offensive line.

Jonathan Taylor had a lot of trouble with this in his first couple seasons, mostly his first season but he eventually figured it out.

This is the play live that goes with the above screen capture. You can see how bad that read was, huge hole.

Here’s another misread. Even Trai is calling him out.

One from the Bengals game.

It would take a lot more looking at film to see if this is just a couple of bad plays by him or something more but it’s something to watch going forward. I’m not saying to start Warren by any means but he looked more deceived when he ran.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Thanks for posting this. Been seeing this all day plus a few instances of wr's wide open.

Also have heard have to watch the all 22. Why cant we have this camera view during the game. It is so much easier in person to see plays develop and who is or is not open.

Was curious about the all 22 and looks like nfl game pass made this available again

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

My best sdot impression

275BD247-7886-479C-ACDD-048F810584DF.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I was texting with my brother-in-law during the game and said the same thing about his vision. It was literally his first run. His vision has proven to be not great to this point. Not sure we can expect it to get any better. The line isn't good enough to throw positive run plays away. And makes you wonder how much of our running game issues are OL related and how much is bad RB play? The line takes a beating...and they're not good. But Harris isn't good right now either.

5. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I thought the same thing. I thought yesterday the offense actually felt a little more on in-sync when he ran the ball. Small sample size, but not complete crazy talk.

6. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    i'm telling you, he's trent richardson with a personality.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I think a lot of it is that he doesn't have the trust in the O-line. He just assumes that the blocking will be poor and starts running laterally to avoid instant contact even when they do open a hole for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015

Taylor has never averaged less than 5 ypc in his career. Taylor is an elite back. Najee is not even close to that

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Taylor struggled mightily his first season. About 10 games in he started doing better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I used to watch the All 22 a lot but just didn’t have time for it anymore. It’s great though. I’m tempted to look and see if Najee struggled with this last season.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Warren making him nervous that for sure lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    he is a one contract steeler. it was not HIS fault that this FO has no vision of their own, he was NOT what was needed w the #1 last year, just like 2 WR's in the first 4 rounds was the wrong path. He is nothing super special, sorry for the truth....

Rooney + Tomlin = dark years to come.....

13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Warren should. I said last week that he hits the hole harder and faster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If you look at his feet this is where he plants his right foot and decides to go left. I think he gets hammered if he goes right.
    upload_2022-9-19_15-21-18.png

I think Najee has lost a little of his quickness with the weight gain this offseason. Too much Mexican Food! Give him till about midseason to get the weight off and he should be back to normal.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    have noticed this too. I hope Najee is watching these replays too and learning how to hit the holes. This is where good coaching comes in.

And Warren so far is better at this

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Taylor has the best guard the NFL on his team. He may be the best Guard I have seen in 10 seasons in the NFL in Nelson.

17. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm right there with you. Wasn't sure why but it seemed like he was either faster or something but seeing the above explains what I was seeing. I was like just hit the hole and run and seemed to be dancing back there. My initial thinking he was a little gun shy from being hurt? But maybe its what was posted above?

But this is from a laymen and something seemed off.

18. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    For as big as Najee is I'm surprised he doesn't put a shoulder down and try to run guys over ala Bettis. There are too many times he gets to the outside and tries to juke a 180-200lb DB. This comes into play aswell when he should be going up the gut and hitting the hole hard, he tries dancing too much.

19. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    It's pretty obvious he's missing big openings. Mitch is often not making the right decisions, too. It's the youngest offense in the NFL (I believe) and it looks like it. The really good news is that much of this is fixable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Newsflash for you that was the Colbert led front office. He retired, I guess you missed it

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Dude, you could roll a tank through that hole, no one was touching him if he went that way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Najee is the least of the Steelers worries :shrug:.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    No way Mason Cole maintains that block on the NT.
    [​IMG]

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    There is a live clip of that in my OP, even if Cole couldnt hold that block and you don’t know that he wouldn’t have, there is no way that lumbering giant would have touched Najee. Look at how much room he has to go around him.

Regardless, running into the brick wall makes less sense then trying to run through the Grand Canyon size hole.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I watched that play about a dozen times and it almost looks like a zone blocking scheme leaving a cut back lane. Either way, if Harris puts his foot in the grass and cuts, there's no way the nose tackle brings him down. That was a big miss and as much crap as we give the o-line and their run blocking, they can't be missing on those opportunities.

• Like Like x 1