1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers sticking neck out for Flores not paying off

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Sep 18, 2022.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    If there was one game where you would think it would pay dividends it was this one. 10 years with the Patriots and we still can’t use all that knowledge to beat a mediocre Patriots team at home. Apparently he helped Canada with the offensive gameplan since he had so much knowledge. I wonder if it was his great idea to not throw one deep ball.

The consensus was he was overqualified for the role he took. But the Dolphins look legit and 100x better since his departure. So… yeah… idk. Just because you got experience doesn’t make you cut out for HC job. Most organizations don’t celebrate 9-8 non losing seasons like Super Bowls.

Steelers sticking their neck out for a coach suing their league. Tomlin should focus on X and Os and winning games over hiring friends because he feels he was treated wrong. Steelers and Tomlin did the right thing with Flores but as we saw today the bad guys always win.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Are you for real? Are you basically saying that hiring Flores was basically the same as Tom Couglin snapping up any former Steeler player he could during Steeler week so he could gain some sort of edge and then cutting them after the game? This team lost a major peice of the defense and the switch to the Tampa-2 on a 3-4 front with only rushing 4 didn't work without Watt. Anytime Highsmith or Heyward caved in one side he simply ran the other way because the others all got caught up. Then NE did what NE knows how to do isolate guys and hit the soft spot in zone coverage typically where Spillane or Bush were. What kind of miracles are you looking for? I honestly thought that guy from the giants they brought in a few years ago was more helpful to them. Let's be honest though this wasn't a 42 point butt whoppin

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Flores helped with the offensive gameplan this week because of his extensive knowledge of the Patriots. Shocker, it sucked and cost us the game.

So seeing what his 10 years of knowledge on Belichick and Patriots brought us today. Dolphins on fire. It’s all pointing to maybe he’s just not very good at his job. So maybe that’s why nobody was rushing out to hire him?

It’s nothing like the Giants situations. They tried making the Flores hiring situation into something bigger like he was getting black balled. Then Tomlin swoops in to help a friend instead of hiring somebody to help us win games??

4. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Link, please, that Flores contributed to the offensive game plan this week?

I looked everywhere and couldn't find any.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Myles Jack has been playing really well. That is a credit to Flores. No learning curve needed, he stepped right in.

I don’t know what to say about Bush/Spillane...not sure if any coach can fix that situation.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Flores definitely shouldve game planned for that muffed punt return.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    No reason to complain about the defense IMO. I think we cover a bit better and have improved against the run.

However, we need Watt in order to get pressure on the QB reliably.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Myles Jack is playing really well because Myles Jack is a really good player.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
  10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Given up 37 points in two games

must make up something to complain about

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Patriots’ TDs.
    1. Interception that a CB in perfect position had stolen by a WR making a great play.
    2. 20 yard drive after a muffed punt return.

Flores is part of the defensive coaching staff last time I checked.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2022-9-19_9-22-42.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Using your logic, Bush and Spillane are not really good players.

I like your logic.

14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    The Pats go lucky. Witherspoon was all over it and it should have been an interception. The doink on the helmet on the kick off was all on Olszewski. It's not at all on the defense. Defense played fairly well . Iron out the mistakes and you got yourself a different game.

15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Jack was a good player before Flores got a hold of him.

JS

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
  17. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I'm in the middle of this argument...Some ( actually many ) Thought we were getting the 2nd coming of Chuck Noll, when we got Flores...

Even with the controversy surrounding him ..If he was THAT good, Someone would have made him DC...

Everyone anymore gets second chances.. Michael Vick tortured and killed Dogs for Gods sake ( of course Tomlin was the Guy that thought he deserved a 2nd chance )...Massage Watson got one too..

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  18. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
  19. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    The defence didn’t make splash plays, but overall they were fine. The Pats were gifted 7 points on the muffed punt. And the other TD is 100% on Witherspoon. All the D coaches can do is put players in the right position. It’s up to the players to make plays.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    When Flores was with the Pats a guy name Brady was QB and a guy name McDaniels was OC. The Pats have changed. Take away the muffed punt, the D held the Pats to 10 points

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Myles Jack was solid before so Flores can't get credit for that. Now if he makes Bush and Spillane serviceable then yeah.

22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016

I wonder if it was his great idea not to throw downfield...

23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It's just another terrible Tomlin decision. Organization sticking their neck out for a coach suing the league and he can't even help us beat a mediocre team he has 10 years of knowledge on at home. All around fail. Just because you have years of experience doesn't mean you deserve a HC job. He's apparently terrible at making decisions just like Tomlin. Dolphins fans are praising that's he gone because Tua is lightning it up and Flores hated Tua. Tomlins job hiring process... He has years of experience, my friend, and social media is telling me he's being treated unfairly. Lets hire him!! Then you wonder why our coaching staff is a mess.

24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The defense held the Pats to 17 points, I believe 7 of which came off a TO in their own red zone. They did their job, it's takes all 3 phases...one phase in particular is making the D work harder, longer and that they only have up 17 points is remarkable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The premise of this thread that the Steelers somehow stuck their neck out by hiring Flores is not correct. He had multiple offers supposedly and even if he didn't it's not like the league or others went all high and mighty or anything when he got hired. Everyone knew he got jobbed at Miami. The guy did a very credible job there and it was a surprising firing.