1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the Bengals escape

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 11, 2022.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. Defense mostly played with a chip on their shoulders

2. If the o-line was remotely competent, then this would've been a blowout

3. Minkah, TJ and Highsmith and Heyward especially brought it

4. Cam Sutton was picked on, but came up big when needed

5. Watt and Najee's injuries make this a pyrrhic victory

6. With the poor blocking up front, I have a hard time with Matt Canada not going no huddle

7. Ahkello Witherspoon needs to learn to play until the whistle blows

8. Mitch Trabisky needs to be more decisive

9. The refs did everything they could to give the Bengals a win

10. Kenny Pickett will be starting by week 7 at the latest

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Feels like last year. Huge win vs an AFC opponent but we lose a huge defensive player. Alualu and now watt

• Like Like x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Watt, najee, walace, highsmith. :cool:

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree with most of your points as usual, except 6. Early on the no huddle simply led to the offense getting off the field even quicker.

I’ll add: Trubisky could scramble but the receivers didn’t seem to be helping when he did. Didn’t the Steelers used to practice scramble drills every practice?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m not saying you’re right. With Mike Tomlin as coach, I don’t expect KP to see the field for as many opportunities as maybe you would with another coach. Seems they’re always a tight game, testing our cardiac system. That’s not a scenario to bring him in. You either do so when you have a big lead or are down big. But say they are down big early in the season. I still don’t expect MT to bring him in because he wants Mitch to get reps. So, IMHO the only way KP sees the field is if Mitch gets hurt.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Highsmith at least returned to the game after his injury, but they are all major concerns. Losing Wallace certainly didn't help the secondary later in the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    11. Boswell showed why he deserved the contract extension.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Only one game, but our run defense looked solid other than the one 4th and 1 screw up. We’re going to need it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I liked our team before game 1 and still like them. But If Watt is out the whole season
    it affects us dramatically. He is a difference maker as can Najee be if he had help. Thank goodness they made the deal for the OLB for depth purposes. This young man looks like he is going to get plenty of playing time.

10. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Pickett will be starting by week4 if we still can't hit receivers in stride 10 yes out.

11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Returning from Cincinnati on the red eye, gave me a little cool down after a fiercely contested game.

First off, one must acknowledge that the Bengals are returning a Super Bowl team to the field which does have some improvements to the line
    and some very good and explosive playmakers across the roster.
    The Bengals roster is superior to the Steelers roster.

That said, the Pittsburgh defense wrecked that offense.
    Seven sacks and four interceptions made a top tier QB in Burrows, look a rookie again.
    The problem though is that when not sacking or intercepting Burrow, he was dangerous as they gave up 338 rec'g yards most of which to Chase and 133 rushing yards including
    47 to Joe himself.
    Keep in mind, this is a former Super Bowl team.

I kept looking at my play-by-play sheet and couldn't help but notice all the "Mitch Trubisky Pass incomplete" entries.
    Mitch finished 21/38 with 0 picks, and 1 TD.
    He missed just about any 3rd down pass that could have sealed the Bengals fate.
    - At 8:16 left in the 4th, The Steelers need a time-consuming drive with a 6-point lead.
    A FG would have all but locked the game.
    Mitch engineered a 3-yard pass and an incompletion. They did take 2:11 off the clock but with Joe Burrows at QB, that's an eternity.

Then came the Goal Line stand... wow.
    - At 1:51 after the defense shut down the Bengals at the goal line, again, they just need a 1st down from Mitch.
    Starting at the 2, they got a break with a Bengal penalty that got their feet out of the endzone.
    Harris got stopped and injured (this could loom large) and resulted in a time out.
    2nd and 12, Trubisky made the wrong read and passed incomplete - Stopping the clock again.
    A short run by Claypool left them punting again and having only taken 24 ticks off the clock...

The Bengals used the 1:27 on the clock and drove in for what should have been the winning score... Extra Point is blocked. (Wow, crazy!)
    The overtime period was frustrating as the Steelers got the ball first and Mitch engineered a 7-yard drive capped by a missed pass on 3rd and 3.
    The Bengals drove right down to a FG and missed.
    From there Mitch did get 2 more drives, and the last one a clutch winning FG.

So, in the aftermath, I was very critical of Mitch's (48-QBR) performance. He was barely adequate.
    But when you factor in the fact that this Bengals team is very good AND
    - The Steelers Offensive Line struggled: I sure hope this is early season kinks being worked out.
    - The Run game could only produce 75 yards (see above)

Injuries are obvious:
    TJ Watt loss is devastating.
    Harris will hurt the offense a lot, Mitch needs a solid run game.

My Grade:
    Offense C: They had a 17-3 lead and the offense just needed to get sustained drives, keep the Bengals in bad position and keep the pressure on.
    Defense A: Without the offense being able to close out the game, they somehow held a very good team out of the end zone just enough.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    cole has to be a concern too. he also returned but things can creep up after game day with these types of dings. i sure don't want kendrick green being involved as next man up next week.

wallace is needed. sounds like an ankle injury. depends on the severity. this is where kazee being out already hurts worse. pierre didn't do bad when in. maulet was OK as well but i'd rather see kazee and wallace by far. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Nice breakdown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree with your grades. I expected some growing pains with a new QB and the OL so I actually thought it went decently well. I love seeing a QB that can MOVE. Sure, there are some things to iron out and the game plan wasn't great but, overall, I am pleased. The defense was just absolutely amazing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The problem is that Watt is a huge part of that run defense. That is one of the things that is so great about him. He does everything well. Reed is a good pass rusher, but supposedly, he is not good against the run.

The line looked good and Bush actually didn't suck, but so much of it falls apart without Watt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    A new QB will struggle, and he got away from sacks, they only got him one time, which is great.
    I'm hoping that offense like finds their footing after this test. One does have to give credit to the Bengals defense, they do sack QB's and we gave up 1 and only something like 4 tackles for losses.
    They gotta get those 3rd down passes down better.
    So I was worn out after this game, I think I spiked several hot dogs both in jubilation and frustration.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I can't even imagine being at that game. I had a house full of people and, when Boz made the FG, I literally cried lol. That game took everything out of me and then some.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Might be one of the most impressive efforts I have ever seen by the Steelers on defense.

Lot of people getting on the yardage. But the Bengals were down and they were gonna pass.

Bengals TOP was 43:43 Steelers TOP 26:17

They almost held the ball 2/3rd's of a 4.75 quarter ball game.

Heck of an effort... Offense let the team down huge.

Any other average offense of effort with the amount of turnovers the Steelers had, Steelers would curb stomped them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I have not seen it talked about..maybe in the gameday thread, but I can't review 60+ pages, but why was the play allowed to continue when the steelers went offsides and the bengals lineman stood up and then the bengals snapped the ball? The bengals got a big play there and eventually went to score. I get why the OT one was allowed to continue as none of the steelers stood up to take the 5 yard penalty and it was not clear path. These types of plays never seem to be called correctly by the refs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    They should only whistle it dead if any of the defense have an unopposed run at the QB. I agree, though, that those calls can be rather subjective. I remember Ben getting furious when they used to call offsides dead before he had a chance to throw the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    It looked better, that's for sure.

Another point I noticed was how much pressure we were getting without blitzing. But then Watt was a huge factor in that, obviously.

22. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Right, but someone on the Bengals OLine stood up and pointed I thought. If D is in neutral zone and someone on offense then moves it should be whistled dead. At least thats what I saw and my understanding of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, I see your point. I think you're right that the refs are just inconsistent.

24. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    FUN FACT care of Steelers Depot:

The Bengals TOP yesterday was 43:43, which is the longest an NFL team has EVER had the ball playing the Steelers.
    The previous record was 42:08 in 1983, by... the Bengals.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    It should be blown dead as a false start stops the play. The announcers even thought there was contact which also stops the play even if the offense doesn't move.

• Agree Agree x 1