1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What about this QB trade scenario?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, May 28, 2022.

1. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Mason is a fine backup? In the USFL you mean?

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Trubiskys job to lose I feel. I think he is going to play above the line which will make it tough to sit him for Pickett.

If Trubisky can overcome his accuracy issues he could be a really good QB. Perhaps that is something Josh Allen helped him with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They also did not tell Maddox they were drafting roethlisberger

Just an fyi not a rude response :smiley1:

• Like Like x 2
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, the Detroit game was when I FINALLY decided to get off the Rudolph bandwagon. The fact is the guy’s had his chances and really hasn’t delivered. He’s had some decent moments but he’s also looked lost out there a few times too. He doesn’t have that IT factor that all great quarterbacks have. I still think he can be a top notch backup in the NFL, but that’s about it. It is disappointing as I had high hopes for him coming out of college with that “first round grade”. :rolleyes:

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ditto

I never saw him being a superstar but I did see him being a good backup

I didn’t see that then

As you stated he looks lost

• Like Like x 1
  6. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I think Trubisky should beat out Mason because he has more experience, live arm, and mobility. Pickett also, I think, was a better prospect than Mason coming out. So Pickett should beat him out unless it turns out he needs time to get in the flow of the NFL and the offense. In that case Steelers should keep Mason as #2 and not trade him. But I generally agree that out of the three quarterbacks Mason should be the odd man out.
    I have no idea where this optimism about Oladokun comes from. He should be a scratch. There is no way, even considering financial ramifications, that I would keep Oladokun over Mason Rudolph. That is crazy talk.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That is exactly why they will keep him if Mason is not 1 or 2

8. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Haskins death also changed things

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I think the QB room will look very different in 2023. The Reindeer will likely be in the USFL or on to his life’s work by then. He has had sufficient playing time to show that it is highly unlikely he can be a starting QB in the NFL. Mason Rudolph calibre QBs are readily available in FA, so no one in their right mind would give up draft capital for him.
    Trubisky’s two year contract blows up in the second year, so even if he plays well, no one is going to give the Steelers much in the way of a draft pick for one expensive year of Mitch. Best they could hope for is to get rid of that cap hit.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All I can say is.....I'm glad they gave the real TB 12 more time than people are giving Mason.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You make a good point. It took Bradshaw several years to realize his potential even though it was obvious from day one that he had such incredible athletic ability with a freakishly strong arm. In today’s NFL where it’s all about instant gratification, I wonder if the Steelers would even pick up his fifth year option.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That kind of contradicts how you’ve been talking about Trubisky.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Above average most likely won't keep them from giving Pickett his shot by 2023 at the latest.

It cracks me up to see some of you acting as if it would be a bad thing if Trubisky plays well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Quarterbacks very, very rarely fix accuracy issues after reaching the NFL. Allen is an aberration. Treating it as if it is likely that Trubisky will do the same makes no sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They should trade all 3 and bring back Ben

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I said IF he has overcome those issues. How is that treating it as likely he will succeed in doing so?

And don’t you think being helped by the guy who overcame those issues plays in Trubisky’s favor of doing the same? Doesn’t mean he will but certainly has me excited about the possibility.

Even if he hasn’t improved in that area, he still can make it difficult for Pickett to get on the field. You’ve argued the positives about Trubiksy and the good things he did in Chicago yourself. This will be the best team he has had around him with an OC that will play to his strengths instead of a coach that sets him up to fail.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm rooting for Trubisky. I wanted the Steelers to draft DE in the 1st. I didn't think QB was necessary this year. With that said... Steelers got the best QB in the draft, so we'll see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    My understanding is that Allen had to change the mechanics of his throwing motion. Also, what worked for him probably won't work for everybody else. Very few quarterbacks have his arm strength.

I do think it is possible Trubisky will be good. He had one decent season in Chicago. It seemed he was headed in the right direction, then things fell apart. I'm not doubting that he can be better. My argument was just with the part about fixing his accuracy issues.

Of course, I believe Pickett has higher upside than Trubisky. He throws a much better deep ball, which is a real question mark for Trubisky. We have seen the impact of having a quarterback who can't or won't make the throws down the field the last couple of seasons. It wasn't pretty.

• Like Like x 2
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Trubisky has started 50 games. Unless something crazy happened....I believe what He has shown.

Mason has started 10. So....Yeah....If I had 2 pick one that I wasn't sure about(because I haven't seen enough games)...it would be Mason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Stop. No Coach sets up their Qbs 2 fail. It means their job, and comes back on them. The man won Coach of they year ....no matter how You slice it, and then 3 years later lost His job. Do You honestly think He did it on purpose.
    Did Tomlin set up Jarvis Jones 2 fail....Bush....T. Edmunds....A. Burns???
    Makes more sense Trubiskys not that great, and it was a bad pick.

Now I don't see how He could have gotten better by just being around Allen, but because I'm a Steelers fan .....I hope He did.
    Just like everyone said about Sam Darnold , but in truth...Sam just isn't very good. Same with Tannehill....take away the most feared back in the league (Henry)...,and Tannehill shows what He is.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I've always believed that no coach would set his quarterback up to fail, but Stefanski's game plan when the Browns played the Steelers in Roethlisberger's final home game last year really had me wondering. It wasn't just that they failed to use Chubb against a terrible run defense. It was also that they kept leaving a crappy offensive tackle one-on-one with Watt, so Mayfield often stood no chance at all.

• Like Like x 1
  22. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Rudolph's shortcomings are not in the form of some intangible "it" factor.

His limited ceiling as even a NFL backup are due to some very obvious and tangible deficiencies:

a) His decision making is slow
    b) His accuracy is sub par
    c) His arm strength is mediocre.

Out of 10 throws he might make two really good ones. That's just not going to cut it in this league.