1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What about this QB trade scenario?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, May 28, 2022.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Trubisky's contract is written so they can get rid of him at the end of the year or it will cost them big money next year. Don't assume he is going to be here in 2023 because he has a 2 year contract.

If Picket is the #1 "Franchise" QB in 2023 there are going to be a lot of cheaper options for a backup QB in Pittsburgh than Trubisky; including the cost to resign Mason for the 2023 season.

Trubisky goes from a 3.6 million cap hit in 2022 to 10.6 million in 2023.

• Like Like x 1
  2. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Pickett?

3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    I believe this actually is from
    The Two Corianders

4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    "Against the Rules"

Should you have fought the aliens instead of going quietly?????? I for one am glad you didn't. They are more advanced this us and you'd have got a butt kicking.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I quested the against the rules rating but thought about leaving well enough alone

But seriously how often do get the opportunity

6. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    why would anyone think Rudolph is even a backup in the Steelers' minds or that they'll re-sign him?

They signed him to a one year extension when even Landry Jones got a two year extension.
    They signed Trubisky then went ahead and drafted not one, but two, QBs.

The FO and coaching staff have seen Rudolph day in and day out for years. He's taken every snap on Wednesdays. He's started games. They know what they have in him and their actions point to a guy that they have zero faith in in any role or capacity.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They gave him a contract

He’s still here

Enough said

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I know your still sore about them not taking Willis.

But really Blast, do you really think that they would trade Pickett?

Trubisky will start and may start the whole season with Pickett taking over next year or if Trubisky struggles in multiple games or gets injured.

Maybe they trade Trubisky next season. But Pickett? :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  9. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If Picket does win the starting QB spot, do we keep Trubisky for the season and then trade him before the start of next season? At this point no one is clamoring to trade for Rudolph. However, could Rudolph be what Charlie Batch was to Ben? While Trubisky has had some success early on with the Bears and many blame Matt Nagy, Trubisky is nothing more than a journeyman QB at this point. We would get less trade value from him after training camp or after the season starts because he would less likely be an immediate impact on any other team. But, if another team has him from the get-go as we do now, he would be better ready to enter the season for trade partner team and it may net a higher draft pick for the following draft.

10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If Mason wins the starting job this year why wouldn't he want to be a free agent at the end of the year?

Ramon Foster on his show talks about Mason wanting to be a starting QB in this league. That is probably not a long term option in Pittsburgh, unless Pickett completely bombs out. Mason needs to put some TDs on the board this preseason and stop playing it safe if he wants to compete for the starting job.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    A lot of people are assuming ( and I hope they're right ) that Pickett will be the next one! But there have been many 1st round picks, even many first OVERALL picks...That haven't planned out...

Trubisky could play great, Pickett suck, or vise versa...We already know Rudolph sucks...

It's just WAY to early to speculate...Gotta let it all play out

• Like Like x 1
  12. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Bolded part: So do the Steelers.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    But, But... He's in the running as the starter lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I know you are joking but I haven’t thought about Willis, everyone else keeps mentioning him. Will be 2023 before we hear anything about Wiliis unless Tannehill gets hurt.

You are forgetting a very important part of the equation, if they both are are playing great, why would they not keep the better player? Because he is a first rd pick? Who gives a ****. Like I said, I would hope they would keep the better player.

Now here’s another what if for you, what if Trubisky plays lights out this season and Pickett never gets on the field? Do they just let Trubisky go and roll with Pickett when you don’t know what he is? I think that would be idiotic.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So did I see today somewhere Trubisky saying that during his signing process the team never told him that they would be using the number 1 pick for a QB?
    Edit: or was the reporter just trying to start stuff?

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Yes but the headline (as it is most times) was misleading. He went on to say he figured a?QB would be drafted. He was not saying that in disgust, just was in the conversation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I went digging more also and you brought the facts.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well I addressed that and if it happens good for us. Pickett is the future and will take over next season. Trubisky would fetch a higher draft pick in a trade then.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So lets say Trubisky leads them to a playoff win this season and is one of the top QB’S, you would be in favor of moving on from him because Pickett is the “future”? Pickett could be a complete bust.

Of course, they have Trubisky signed for another season and don’t have to make any changes but that would mean our number one pick would sit on the bench for two years and if Trubisky has another good season, then what.

• Like Like x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This could happen. Been saying this since Pickett was drafted. Trubisky could end up being an above average NFL QB.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They didn’t know they would be using a number 1 pick when they signed him. It depended on how the draft played out.

They did tell him there would be competition.

This is a non story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If it wasn't for that damn Detroit game last year, I would be ready to get back on the Mason bandwagon again for 2022.

I was on the Mason train at the start of the 2021 season, and I was one of those that was actually hoping Ben would have not come back; so we could have turned everything over to Canada and Mason. Then Canada and Mason had there chance to showcase what they could truly do without Ben against a winless Detroit team, and then the wheels completely came off their bandwagon with a tie to the worst team in the NFL.

As much as I hate the Mason bashing going on, I just don't think I can convince myself to get back on that horse.

I think there are going to be a few people like me, who will be changing sides with every TD and Int thrown in Preseason. I wish we had 4 games this year in Preseason, because it is going to be a hell of a ride.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Trubisky will be tradeable at the end of the year unlike Rudolph.

So the best case is that Trubisky blows completely up this year, and the Steelers trade him away after the season for a 1st round pick. Then Pickett takes over in his second season.

I remember when New England was able to trade away Matt Cassel to the Chiefs for a 2nd round pick after he subbed in for Brady for part of a season.

25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    How many times has there been post bemoaning that the team has not developed a back up. A lot of football to play this year. If MT balls you can make thT decision next year. If Pickett proves himself and MT looks solid having a 10 million b/u is really not a bad move. Good b/u have cost around that much and having a young QB on rookie deal expands Cap room on Qbs.

Or if MT balls his trade value increases. Nice option to have. All 3 could end up stinking..then we are back to square one lol.

• Like Like x 1