1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can we cut mason? (Cap space?)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, May 1, 2022.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I know he just got extended, so that's why I'm confused. what would it be if we cut him now, during trading camp and after the season?

As well what would it be if cut trubisky now, after camp, after the season?

2. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think you get more trade value out of Mason if you wait until around the last preseason game when there's teams needing a QB due to injury.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah. It looks like 3 million in savings if we do. And 1 million in dead money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I was hoping they would try to trade him during the draft and hopefully grab back the 5th we lost. Maybe they tried.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m sure they are still presenting this as an open competition, to go seize the job if he wants it. After that doesn’t happen, I think they will try to move him closer to the season and see if they can get anyone to bite, especially if a team suffers an injury.

Or they may keep him, he doesn’t have the personality to make waves and would probably just play out the year and move on in FA. This Oladokum kid is nothing but a warm body, they aren’t cutting Rudolph for him if Rudolph isn’t causing any problems.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Is that if it happened right now?

7. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Mason is not getting cut, just stop with this non sense.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Thanks for not answering the question

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    His pre and post June 1 cut status would be a 1 million in dead money and a 3 million cap savings. They do not need to be in a hurry to cut him. Their best bet is to keep him until camp and maybe work out a trade if someone gets hurt on another team.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Reminds me of the Landry Jones era. Nobody wanted him so steelers cut him. Signed with jags for under $800k and didnt make it a month before getting cut again. Then signed with Oakland for around the same amount, cut again after 2 months. Wound up in the XFL til they shut it down. Welcome to your future, Mason.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    mason is the most familiar qb we have with the system. pickett may be the second most familiar. why cut mason now? 1 game in and we could have an injury and we would be down to two rookies.

as i said our 7th round qb can sit on the PS and learn for a year and masons contract would be up after this season. he doesn't cost a lot.

trubisky will then be in the last year of his contract and everybody moves up a slot at least. then we have two 2nd year qb's with a year under their belts in the system. we also still have trubisky in his final year that we could keep or move for a higher draft pick. by that time a lot of these one year and two year deals will be ending with a lot of players we have signed. cam and alualu and guys like them will be in their final years so we will need draft picks and money at that time. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    No problem! :) No need to take my comment so personally, I just keep hearing so many people getting giddy over a 7th rd pick on a QB and believing that Mason will now be released, it just doesn't make any sense. What Mac explained above is what makes sense.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Doubt we cut him. What if Trubisky or Pickett gets hurt bad in practice?

Not too much to pay for him right now. At some point we will probably trade or cut him assuming Pickett is as good as they think.

It can wait.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    There is still a 50/50 chance Mason wins the starting job.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes $3m savings of cut or traded, nothing will happen before camp though. They will bring four QB’s to Latrobe and see what happens.

If they get a call from another team after a QB goes down somewhere I’m sure they would listen but there really is no reason to do anything now unless they want to make a move in free agency and need the cap space. I expect any further moves in free agency will come after camp cutdowns though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Thanks that was what I was wondering exactly with pre and post

17. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Sounds like we need to go ahead and sign a 5th and 6th QB too..... You know just on case more get injured

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I have seen Trubinsky play in Chicago and he was horrible. Just because Trubinsky appears shiny and new to Pittsburgh fans means he's any good. Chicago let him go after taking him at the top of the draft. Means they admitted their mistake. I wouldn't cut Mason for that reason. Let the mediocre qb's battle it out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Im guessing all 3 Qb’s will be battling for 2 spots. It might even be down to Mason and Mitch battling for 1 spot. You dont pay #3 QB’s what Mason is getting. Well I forget who our HC is so maybe you do? But I predict Mason is a gonner.

20. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    But he was a 1st round talent!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Mason stays, gets starting position and they will take it from there. He knows the system they don’t. Give him a decent front line and he will be ok . Coaching may be a big issue for all these QB’s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Mason is worse. And trubisky played under a coach who didn't know he was coming to them and didn't care for him..... He didn't want him there to begin with.

23. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Ummmmm that's all passed for a better line. And just because he knows the system doesn't mean anything. Several players come from west coast offense to something totally different and learn the playbook during their off season.

Also let's be honest here. Our playbook is not that complicated. It's honestly pretty clean cut.

24. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Long term, I see Pickett as the starter with Mason as the backup.

If Kenny plays about the same level as Mitch, I could see the Steelers trying to flip Trubisky midseason to a team with a QB injury for a mid-round pick.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I would have felt better if Haskins or Dobbs was still here about getting rid of Mason.