1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical draft question: If Pickett, Willis or Ridder is there @20, do the Steelers draft a QB?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by saturdaysarebetter, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Based on what I've heard, and this is second-hand, they don't see the other four as equal at all. What I've heard is they are a lot more interested in Pickett than anybody realizes. If he does fall and they do end up drafting Pickett in the first round, I would be very happy with the pick. No team in the NFL knows Pickett the way they do. They didn't just have an interview or two to get to know the guy. They have shared a practice facility with him for years. All those things we don't get to see, those things teams usually can't be sure of when they draft a guy, are things they should know very well about him. On the other hand, if Pickett is there and they pass, I will have a hard time being disappointed for the same reason.

2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    One thing I don't understand is this argument that the death of Haskins somehow means they have to take a quarterback. It doesn't. He was going into camp as their No. 3 quarterback. I don't think there was any real faith in him as a potential starter. You don't spend a first or second-round pick on a quarterback just because you lost your No. 3.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Kiper has Pickett dropping to 20 to the Steelers. I would say, that is the correct call. You never know and you have to take a chance there in case Pickett is your guy. I don't think any QB in this draft from what I've seen and heard should go in the top 15. But, we won't know how this turns out until they play in the next 2 to 3 years.

4. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    DY***NO***MITE

5. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  6. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Somebody said if Pickett is available at 20 and the Steelers dont take him then it will dictate a lot about how the other teams in the league will view him since the Steelers have had the opportunity to see him way more then anyone else. Of course Pittsburgh passed up on Dan Marino also, but Pickett is nowhere close to what Marino is of course. He could potentially drop multiple rds if the Steelers dont pick him up. I'm hoping that another team will have already made up the Steelers mind for them as an option before the 20 pick comes up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My Friend the beginning of what You said is not really true. Before last Year even started there was multiple talks that this year's class would be weak.....unless someone really showed something, and they didn't. No some guys like Corral made His stock rise, but like I said it was widely talked about.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think the Panthers take Pickett, and the Lions take Willis.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not true.

Sam Howell's 2020 performance had many of the NFL Scouting Community buzzing; some mocks as early as April of 2021 having Howell anywhere between the 1st and 5th overall pick. Matt Corral was another one that was expected to make the big jump, Phil Jurkovec also. The sad news about Phil was he got injured; dinging this class' overall grades. Other early round graded QBs like Brock Purdy and Carson Strong either fell down to earth bad or did not answer enough questions about the issues that plagued them; Strong's mobility namely. Add all this up and this is what made the 2022 QB Class so difficult to understand... by end of the first quarter of the 2021 NCAA FBS I Season.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Considering that the team now has two QB Coaches... if they were not going for a QB in Round One... they most assuredly are now. Way too many signs that point in that direction. However, draft is still days away and there is no telling on how the board will break.

11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think there are a ton of signs pointing in that direction, but this isn't one of them. It's a Rooney Rule hire.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickett isn't dropping multiple rounds. Be serious.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    So its beyond impossible he could drop to the early 3rd rd??

14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    pickett or willis, yes, not sure about the other cat

15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i think they will. Rudolphs stock went up by pure sad luck

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So if I show You quotes from before the season....Will You believe Me????....or....will You say that was just their thinking???

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I hope they do. Drafting QB would be a waste, IMO.

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Which quotes?

All of the notable quotes (both good and bad)... or just the negative?

Have to use a full set of optics here.

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Quotes that said this Draft class would be weak before the season started

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Agree on the class.... after the first four weeks of the season started. Prior to that, this class was supposed to be strong. Not 2021 or even 2020 strong... but stronger than 2019. Sadly, that did not happen.

• Like Like x 1