1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ziggy Hood

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SpeedyMikeWallace, Oct 18, 2011.

1. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't really pay much attention to the DL during the games. For those that do pay attention to such things, how is he doing? Does he look like a former 1st rounder? It's his 3rd year now. I think we should be able to see we've got, at least a little bit.

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Ziggy has looked very good in the last two games. He's ready to take over for Smith IMO. On top of that it looks like we drafted a big time player in Cam Heyward. The future looks bright. :cool:

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I love watching line play. I can tell you ziggy is really a mystery to me. some plays he looks unblockable and some plays he gets blown off the ball. heyward is going to be worthy of his pick I believe. Ziggy will be to I think but needs to be more consistant. He struggles against the run. he can learn alot from smith in that department

4. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I love watching the lines play too. Ziggy is good. He's solid. He's had so much more practice on the left, he really looks at home there. He will never be Aaron Smith, but he will anchor down the fort for years to come. No reason to worry. He was a good pick, and I'm glad we have him. Specifically speaking, I think he's disappointed a bit in his pass rush. He was supposed to be some kind of game-changer there. Someone who could not just occupy blockers for the 'backers, but break through double teams and toss aside single blockers. He's not doing that yet, and he's had plenty of practice. But he has adjusted to the running game from the 4-3. He's good.

Cam Heyward will be even better. He's coming from a 3-4 so there's less adjustment to make, and it shows. He doesn't look like a rookie in my opinion. He looks good. And what he really has going for him, aside from the smaller learning curve, is his athleticism. He's quicker and faster than Ziggy, and uses his hands very well. He's a natural pass rusher. He's showing what Ziggy was supposed to in that department. I'd like to see him on the field more NOW in obvious passing situations. He's also getting off blocks really well in the run game.

I am excited about Ziggy because I know we have a strong player and I like knowing we will have a strong line for years to come, but Heyward is the one I'm really excited about.

5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Ziggy is mostly solid, if not spectacular. Heyward may be better than Ziggy already.

But both need more playing time.

6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The dline need to do a better job in run defense and open up holes for the lbers to do their job.