1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ziggy Hood- Bust?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, May 14, 2013.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Hood gets way to much grief too. I don't know if people are measuring him up to Aaron Smith or what but he's better then he gets credit for.

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    is another nick eason ..not what i want from a first round pick
    so big bust

3. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I feel Ziggy will be a *Bi*ch in the sh*t* this year. I just think he got it and it will show this year. I said words to that effect about K Lewis last year. I should have shut up, he walked. Dang it

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, if you want to put things into perspective let's not lose sight of the fact that Hood was a 1st rounder who was expected to have an early impact while Keisel was a 7th rounder. Keisel was a project player who panned out in the long run. I don't think Hood is nearly as bad as many make him out to be, but IMO he has been played out of position - and out of scheme. When he came out, he looked to me like an ideal 1 gap penetrator who might also be able to play in a 2 gap scheme. I don't think he's ever truly fit the scheme here. He's the reason that I am leery of 1 gap DTs on draft day. I know some folks mentioned guys like Shariff Floyd and Sylvester Williams as draft prospects. However, I saw the potential for another Hood in those guys.

5. victimofchanges

victimofchanges Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I watched many people piss and moan about Timmons being a bust in his first 3 years and wanted to dump him. It is kind of funny how I don't hear any of that talk now!

Hood is not a bust until the Steelers say he a bust.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    keisel was also an OLB for his first 4-5 seasons.

ziggy's got work to do still, but did have his best year ever last year. we can throw up how equal their numbers are too, but keisel led the team in qb hurries and pressures too. even out of the linebackers.

those are the things that makes guys good DE's in this system. you can take up blockers by the pressure you bring to the pocket. you make that team have to commit extra people to block you. it's not all about grabbing on to blockers and getting them away from the OLB's. pressure can have the same effect. that's what keisel does and ziggy struggles with. getting off blocks is his biggest problem.

heyward has trouble too, but his not getting off blocks is more of them holding him when in position to make a tackle. they hold him bad and it's rarely if ever called. i watched him pretty closely last year, and it happened with regularity. he was in position to make a play only to have an arm or his jersey tugged from the back or when he's turning away to make the play. that's good o-line play but bad for a DE. so alot of it is technique they need to work on.

aaron smith and KVO and keisel had and have some legnth to them and longer arms which ziggy doesn't. it makes a difference. ziggy's doing OK but i still want to see more of heyward.

i really want to see arnfelt the UDFA from northwestern though. he could be fun to watch me thinks.

:cool:

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    They were doing it until the beginning of last season...

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    there were stretches that timmons dissappeared and people raised heck he was a bust. it was mostly due to what we were doing with him in coverages though. it's a shame too because he is so good as a blitzer and run stopper. whats really ashame though is we don't have two of him.:cool:

9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

He was never brought in for immediate impact, he was forced into action early by injuries to Aaron Smith. As always the Steelers intended to develop him into a 3-4 defensive end.

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Absolutely. He wasn't drafted to start - just like most of our first round picks (with the possible exception of Decastro).

I see the argument that a 1st rounder should be more effective, but calling Hood a "bust" is too strong, even for his detractors. Bruce Davis was a bust. Limas Sweed (g'bless him) was a bust. Hood is still the starting DE. So far, he's been solid but not spectacular.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's far from a bust and highly inaccurate to call him one. As Mac said, he played his best year last season and if they can work those technical issues out, he'll be pretty darn good.

12. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    seems like in our system players start slow and in their 3-4 year really light it up like Harrison did.

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :wave: Guilty as charged. Timmons was disappointing for the most part until this season. In his first few years he would seem to be coming around and then he'd disappear for weeks at a time. I was concerned that he may be heading for BUST status or at least to becoming a major disappointment, but I was wrong and I'm glad I was wrong. And that's not easy for me to say...

[video=youtube;WkqgDoo_eZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkqgDoo_eZE[/video]

14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    yeah 100 tackles two years ago another 130 the year before that just screams disappointing

15. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh come on, strummer. You know as well as I do that Timmons was extremely inconsistent his first few years in the league. Call it disappointing, inconsistent or whatever. It's well documented that Timmons would have a good game or two with a couple of impressive splash plays and then wouldn't be heard from again for weeks. He'd take bad angles at times (see highlights of him pursuing Peyton Manning last year), over-pursue at times, would seem to get man-handled at times by more physical linemen. This is not something I made up. I'm glad he got it together this past season and really started to live up to his potential. I hope we see many more years of that.

Nice job looking up those total tackle stats to prove your point though.:thumbs_up:

16. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    It was dangerously close to evidence. And we know what happens to them folks who bring evidence round these parts... :noose:

17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Not saying those stats were not accurate, but can you look me in the eye and tell me that Timmons lived up to his billing his first few seasons? I'm not saying he had zero success, but many were saying that he was the Troy P of the LB group. He was Tomlin's first draft pick. A lot was expected and he just didn't deliver often enough his first few seasons. He was just too inconsistent and error prone. But if you think he lived up to his billing before this season that's okay I guess.

We have a saying here in America, Thigpen, and you may have heard it. There are lies, there are d__n lies, and there are statistics. I think that may apply with Timmons to a degree.

BUT...I am very excited that Timmons played so well this past season. I hope he continues to live up to the potential that many believe he's always had.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    lets add to that:

490 tackles
    23 sacks
    26 passes defended
    7 interceptions
    10 forced fumbles
    6 fumble recoveries
    1 TD
    1 int. return 89 yds.

in 6 years. his first year he barely saw the field, so most were within 5 years. not too bad i'd say. consider he was moved from the OLB spot to the ILB spot and then he moved from one ILB spot to the other in those 6 years. yea i can see it. what a bum.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    lets look at farrior just for comparison sake:

1,220 tackles
    35.5 sacks
    55 passes defended
    11 interceptions
    15 forced fumbles
    11 fumble recoveries
    1 TD and his longest return was 47 yards.

thats in 15 seasons also a number 1 pick.

20. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not the stat hound some of you guys are and I don't sit around in a room watching hours of game film. I'm just a casual fan who happens to watch pretty much every game the Steelers play. Timmons had some nice moments but he was just too inconsistent his first few years in the league. He seemed to have the skills but at times made mental errors that took him out of position, caused him to take bad angles, over-pursue, etc. Being moved around didn't help, but there were those that kept saying he's a superstar but he just didn't quite live up to that billing. Maybe the expectations were too high, I don't know. I just think that, before last season, his inconsistency was disappointing.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    lets do foote:

713 tackles
    24 sacks
    23 passes defended
    3 interceptions
    10 forced fumbles
    7 fumble recoveries

1 safety and 26 total yards on his returns. thats in 11 seasons.

22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    How does he compare to Jack Lambert? ;-)

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    3-4 and a 4-3 defense is much different. nobody compares to 58. :cool:

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't call Ziggy a bust he was drafted late in the first round as a 3/4 DE he's not not going to give you much in the way of stats, maybe a disappoinment. Some fans are probably comparing him to Aaron Smith.

25. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Absolutely. I seem to remember William Gay leading the D in tackles (or at least very high on the list) at one point, simply because opposing QBs were targetting him more than anyone else in the secondary.

It's always a balance with stats. There was a widespread perception that Limas Sweed dropped passes, for example, but the stats showed that actually he didn't - it was the key drops that mattered. Now, the two issues here are both pertinent - our perception can be affected by significant moments (e.g. I remember Timmons taking a bad angle on Manning which resulted in a huge play when it should have been a sack - so after that, I'm maybe subconcsiously looking for the bad angles at the expense of the good ones), BUT a clutch play is a clutch play.

So stats can help to corroborate our observations (and we are, as you say, only casual fans, so we can only take in so much); but at the same time there is no stat for 'clutch', and at the end of the day the game comes down to clutch plays.