1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth football,anybody's kids play?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by FeedTheMachineFTM, Aug 29, 2012.

1. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    My oldest son is in his second year (9-10 years olds)..He really enjoys it..
    First year they keep score and call penalties ..Last year was more of an 8 vs 8 scrimmage ..Used only half the field and no downs or score keeping..10 plays per side..
    This year is the real deal and he's getting the hang of it ...He plays some center and mostly D line ...

Attached Files:

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Alas, I have no sons, only daughters (and they're the dainty sort). I'll have to wait for some grandchildren. :)

Seems like some great bonding experience and a lot of fun. When I played youth football, it thrilled me to see my Dad in the stands whooping it up when I hit someone.

3. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    My son loves football and loves the Steelers. I think he would play if he could, but he's a swimmer with Olympic aspirations. So, he's basically in the pool 6 days a week, almost 12 months a year. His summer season just finished and he got 3 weeks off. Now he's back at practice for the fall/winter season. No football for him - but I'm hoping for a trip to Rio in 4 years!

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Great pic FTM. Looks like a real gamer! My son just started his freshman year in high school and has been playing for 7 years. Youth football ws a lot of fun, but it gets a lot better in high school. You are able to get away from the parents who think that their kid is the next Peyton Manning and believe their kid isn't geting enough playing time. That really gets old if you are coaching peewee football. In high school, the coaches will hold the boys more accoutable for their effort (or lack thereof) and don't have to worry about mommy and daddy complaining to the commish that they paid their money so their kid should get to play more. <rant over> Anyways, have fun and good luck to your boy!

5. FeedTheMachineFTM

Jan 1, 2012
    Thanks guys...Yeah its great watching him out there and it really is a great bonding experience for us..
    I hope he continues to love it the way he does now all the way through HS,,but at the same time i don't want to push or force him to play..Right now thats not a problem..You definitely have some parents hollering about their kids and getting PT and such ,but i just shake my head and laugh

Good luck to your son on reaching the olympics bates,,WOW that would be awesome

6. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    FTM...Enjoy these years! I have two boys who are now 21&19. I have been to baseball,football,basketball,wrestling & soccer games/matches over the years.

What I have learned was.... steer them DONT push them.

Just my 2 cents.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!

7. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed, Myron...
    I am watchin my girlfriend`s son, decide on his own, that he now wants to become involved in football at age 13...
    The kid has a few problems with authority(school), etc...
    And I have NEVER pushed him to get into it. He has just seen me loving the sport for a couple years now, and he knows I will do everything within my power to help him with it... Getting him to practices, paying for the fees/equipment, etc...
    Aaaannnd... since he WANTS to do it, it gives us a tool to use, to teach him that he needs to do good in his school work(and respect for his teachers), or we can take that away.
    It`s nuthin but a good thing. Gives me and him another common ground kinda thing we can talk about,too..(besides racecars and music) and (Cliche`s inserted here..)
    Teaches him about hard work, teamwork, and "If yer gonna talk the talk, you better walk the walk"...
    The kid isn`t all bad... I`ve been around worse, but I love to see his focus on a game that he used to not care less about.
    Now that he is working hard toward a common goal, and sees other kids doin it with him, the change in his attitude, is a great thing to see...
    Not that he was horrible to begin with.. he was starting to wake up to the fact that life isn`t always handed to you on a silver platter, without football, but football has damn sure, reinforced that idea!
    I wish I could find the time to be a youth football coach...
    I didn`t realize how much the coaches when I was a kid, had an effect on me.. I should pass that on...( well, yeah, I kinda did realize their effect, I just never thought that I might be in a position to do the same for another generation of kids)
    Big thanks to all of yinz out there, that find the time to do that!!

8. FeedTheMachineFTM

Jan 1, 2012
    Bleed ,first off, good for you for taking on that responsibility ..You being there for him is huge ..
    Glad he is turning a new page ,,and a good one at that..Everything you said is spot on...
    Football (and any sport for that matter,my 5 yr old daughter plays soccer) has so many teaching moments that i think its a great thing to introduce to all our children..
    I would sooooo much love to coach ,but its not a realistic idea ATM,,maybe when my youngest boy is ready..
    Love what you said about your coaches ,,i can vividly remember so many things they taught me but at the time i wasn't truly understanding them ,,but now its crystal clear ..