1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Your too early prediction for the 2023 Steelers?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 21, 2023.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

My biggest critique of Lamar is his inability to finish a season. Todd Monken should assist in this regard but it truly remains to be seen. Who the hell knows what the Ravens Offense will look like?!

Moreover to the point, how much will this new Offense not only allow Lamar to be himself but also protect himself from injury as much as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The Ravens are in a tough spot. If they try and make Lamar a pocket passer they can't win because he is not that good at throwing the ball. If they turn him loose and let him take off and run all the time then he won't last the season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I am on the 11-6 bandwagon

• Like Like x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    12-5 ceiling, 8-9 floor. All depends on overall health of core players. If injuries start to pile up, so will the L's.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    10-7

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    12-5

• Like Like x 2
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I cannot say he is incapable of throwing. Remember that he is one of two NFL MVPs to be given the award by unanimous consent; the other being Tom Brady. While some of that performance was done by his legs, the other factor of that was by his arm.

Now, if we are talking about throwing the football as consistently as Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow or even Allen?!?! That is a different subject all together. I also would have Pickett join that group in time should he progress the way I think he can.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m on the 10-7 bandwagon but mostly because they had a keg of beer

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    No need to worry, if Belipoop could keep the Pats competitive with the new faces his organization seemed to find too many times I'm sure Tomlin can do the same;)

10. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    11-6

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is My opinion also, but You have to remember they are still a well run organization. So they will win games either way.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will always say this....He was given unanimous MVP for one reason....not MVP he earned that , but unanimous . There are Qbs whose season have destroyed His .....even if You add in His rushing, and rushing tds.....Yet they didn't get a unanimous MVP. Make that make sense. Again....I'm not disputing His MVP....just the dang unanimous crap.
    Also I still can't figure how other Defenses other than us have not figured how He plays. Go back and watch. If He goes right ....He will throw right to that part....left He will throw to the left in front of Him...if He stays in the pocket it's either a dump off, or the middle of the field....92% of the time He throws straight in front of Himself. Hell don't believe Me go watch .

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think we surprise some people and go 11-6, win in the wildcard round AND win our divisional playoff game before losing a close game in the AFC Championship game.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well, to answer your question as to why NFL Defenses haven't figured out Lamar... it is not that the haven't. In fact, here is a Video about the Dolphins who were Head Coached by Brian Flores doing exactly just that..

The reason many NFL Defenses have been unable to limit Lamar is that, while he will never be mistaken for a Joe Burrow or even Mahomes, he has shown he is capable of enough of making high quality throws overall. Not to the same level of consistency but close enough; his legs being another major component of his game. When you factor in his ability to pass well enough and possess the breakaway running ability he has?!?!..... it really becomes a pick your poison style of QB you face when going toe to two with Lamar. Mind you, much of his running, doubly so last season, had more to do with Mark Andrew's being the only reliable WR option. Now armed with Zay Flowers and Reshad Bateman... he is in better standing far more than he ever has been in his career; Odell Beckham as well..... whatever remains of him anyways.

As to why Pittsburgh has had more success than many other teams?! Part of it is the focus to win the Division. Remember that Pittsburgh has always fielded historically strong defenses to combat multiple changes within the NFL Paradigm. After the League cracked down hard on the Steelers post 2010, Tomlin and Colbert sought to change the Defense from an all out smashmouth style defense to a high speed swarming one. This was going according to plan; doubly so when Shazier was drafted. By 2017, all the pieces did seem in place.... until Shazier was lost for good. As me and you both know now, losing Shaizer set this defense back considerably; prompting Tomlin to hasten his Defensive Rebuild with the acquisition of Minkah Fitzpatrick for he would successfully aide in Tomlins long rebuild of the Steelers Defense. Now, all of this info does seem unimportant, if not redundant, but the main takeaway is that the NFL has outlawed any form of "Smashmouth Defense" all together. Adding more speed and using more versatile players was the next logical evolution for not just the NFL but the Steelers as well.

Fast forward to 2023 and the Steelers are close towards their completion; which brings us to Lamar once again. Having so many different ways to attack and defend against an Offense that goes against the normalcy in which the QB himself becomes the system of the offense as opposed to the opposite makes Pittsburghs record of 3-2 against Lamar more transparent. Given how multi talented Lamar is... match up his talents with a defense that can win in more personnel match-up. That way, once you take away his game breaking capabilities on the ground, you force Lamar to win through the air; something that he has shown to do but not nearly as much from a standpoint in 4th Quarter Comebacks against stronger AFC opponents.

To sum up all of this, the NFL forced the Steelers to change... and they did. As a result, this Steelers Defense is far more versatile and flexible than the ones Tomlin has fielded in the past. There are still question marks for sure but there are also too many other strengths on the Defense from a personnel standpoint that few AFC, if not NFL Offenses, can deal with all at once. This year's draft has not made the AFC North gain any sort of breaks and much less the AFC as a whole.

A fully healthy Steelers Defense is an absolute hell hole of a Defense to play against; regardless of what team they face. This is magnified by opponents that you know very well no less; Lamar especially.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Actually My friend....as the Starting Qb ....Lamar is 1-2 against the Steelers. I don't know where places like stat muse got their info from.
    His only win against the Steelers came in the game Mason got knocked out, and Duck finished. It was a overtime win when JuJu coughed up a fumble in overtime , and was won on their kickers leg. Crazily He has only played the Steelers 3 times as the Starting Qb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Ah, I see it.

TwinSpires has the correct info on that. My mistake. Here is the link.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    9-8

18. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Too early??...how about 10-7 this year and 12-5 next year...too early for that?

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    11-6 basement

You can only go into assuming core players stay mostly healthy. The organization has seemingly assembled very good depth.

I think a healthy Watt and a better non-rookie Picket are at a minimum good for 2 more wins. Plus the easier schedule and mostly being looked at as underdogs in the early season.

Ceiling 13 wins.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    10 wins and a playoff win would be great. Need a slump buster

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Either slump bust the Playoff Drought or add that total of non Playoff Wins to seven. Not saying that will likely get Tomlin fired but boy oh boy... if that happens man.... Canada gonna go bye bye.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup. I’ve accepted Tomlin is with us for a good while.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I wouldn't be too sure of that. Again, I am with you that Tomlin is not going to be fired per say but to bring him back via a one year deal as opposed to a multi year one would be very telling. Of the two though, Canada MUST go if that happens.

Given how much talent this Offense has compared to 2022 in addition to an upgraded line?!.... If Canada cannot get better at calling plays... he never will. For that matter, Matt Canada might have just tipped that he has accepted the fact that his time in Pittsburgh is drawing to a close.

Not a fan of him or his show but this tweet was very telling...

.... uh.. what?! :hmm:

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Actually @bigbenhotness, here is a video of the whole comment...

Starts at the 0:50 mark in it. Worth listening to for certain. Should those feelings within the Coaching Staff, along with Tomlin, be true, Glenn Thomas may have more input earlier than I thought. I doubt it will be showcased so early as Training Camp but Late September to Early October would be more appropriate.

• Like Like x 2
  25. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    That was a good listen thanks

• Like Like x 1