1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ljkjr74, Feb 9, 2024.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Isn't Pickett the only one now? Sure, technically Trubisky is on the roster, and Rudolph, until the new league year begins, but the point is the same.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    I was

That didn’t stop mytake from his agenda :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t think anybody is saying not to build the team right. They have the best edge rusher in the league and it looks like they added a legit CB and OT in last years draft along with a very promising DT. They also have some very good skill players on offence that have been let down by poor scheme, coaching and QB play in recent seasons.

They really aren’t that far away. If they can get a real QB and have another good draft this is a team that can win the Division and be a genuine threat in the playoffs next season. JMO

Agree cousins is likely past his best but he is still going to be in a different tier entirely to Kenny or Mason

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  4. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Talking about Cousins injury. We have a young QB now that has 2 concussions and a messed up ankle. And he is young. Young isn’t always the answer.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He's certainly going to be on the roster. We have no reason to just dump him. He's been bad, but not "cut him" bad... Kenny just has to be better. If he improves he can be a below average NFL starter. If he improves a lot he might get to NFL average. He needs to be a lot better, and a lot better really fast. Otherwise he needs to sit.

He doesn't have to be in the competition. If we trade for Fields, or sign Cousins/Mayfield then they name Kenny the #2. Easy. You don't make those moves if you're planning on making them compete with your struggling incumbent. The reality is, we won't make any big move. We will sign someone like Tannehill who is 0 threat to take Kenny's spot and we are going to handcuff our new OC with poor QB play. It is what it is. It's the new age Steeler MO.... Hold out hope too long bc we are afraid to make a big, decisive decision.

6. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Maybe he can be better than he even was to end the year, but for as good as he played I'm not convinced Mason is an everyday starter in the NFL. He's nowhere near Cousins, not as good as Wilson (though Wilson is declining a bit), and definitely not as good as Mayfield. He fits right in that second bunch as just as good as Brissett, Minshew, and Browning.... but I see those guys as low end staters or high end back ups. Good players for sure, just not the point man of a franchise.

I like the idea of bringing Mason back if we are dead set on "competition" with Pickett. I think he'd win that battle... but I like him as a "hold over" QB. I like him as the starter for 1-2 years until we find the next guy. He at least provided some QB play that doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out. I still think we have to do better than Mason if we want to win it all though.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just your opinion.

8. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    An Achilles for a pocket passer doesn't scare me. He should be just fine. He probably doesn't have a ton of great football left, but he should have at least 2 years. No reason to fret over a lower body injury for a guy that is going to throw and not run.

This move is the equivalent of the Rams going after Matt Stafford. Cousins is statistically a very similar player. Not as much raw talent as Stafford, but a VERY good player. I'd be all for this move.

9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I mean, yeah. This whole board is full of opinions. My opinions are formed based off facts... but that doesn't make anything a true fact when comparing players. Its all opinion based.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just like I had Mason rated higher than Baker before the draft