1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ljkjr74, Feb 9, 2024.

1. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Rod Woodson seems to think it would be wise too go after Kirk Cousin as our QB. What do you think?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    upload_2024-2-9_18-0-9.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Nope, don't want a guy coming off an injury like that. Develop our own, either Picket steps up, they try to further develop Mason or if both are failures then go to the draft once again.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
  6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I think he would probably want too much money. His age and injury are a concern. How many more years can he go?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    @S.T.D C'mon man give us your wisdom on this thing.

8. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    They’ve already named picket as the no 1 with “competition”

just stick with that and give MR a shot if KP can’t handle or keep the starting spot.

don’t even mess with an overpriced over the hill broken down cousins who was never clutch to begin with

9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    He is still hoping we trade Watt, Heyward and Pickett for Lamar.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Pickett is the number 1, for now. Mason is not under contract. So, whether it’s Mason or any other QB that gets signed will determine if there is a competition or not. Sign a guy like Cousins at his price, there’s no competition. Sign a guy for much much less and we shall see.

I do believe both Kenny and Mason can do better in a non Canada scheme.

Coaching matters. So does the offensive line. Steelers haven’t had a dominant line since before Ben was injured. Draft/sign a center and RT and maybe there’s a chance.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Easy to be #1 when you are the only one on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Kenny will be the week 1 starter you can guarantee that much. How long he lasts? I guess it depends on who the backup is and how bad KP is playing. I’d assume he makes it at least 5 games pending injury.

13. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Cousins is :noose: don't want him Wilson is :noose: don't want him either. Maybe fields or someone else but really should draft a QB.

14. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Is it really too soon to give up on Kenny let's see what happens. Because we really don't know till this year starts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015

Too soon, you have to be kidding us. He has had 2+years. How many losses do w have to have before someone decides he is not the Steelers QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I want a legit competition between 1A Pickett and 1B, whoever it is, unless the Steelers shock us with a plan that is better than a 1A vs. 1B competition. Give Pickett and 1B a 50-50 split on practice snaps from OTAs, through training camp, and pre-season games. Pick the #1, and if the competition is close and mediocre, have a short leash.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They named Rudolph number 1 when he was the only one

18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The only thing about a competition is that we are having two Pickett-caliber players compete in this instance... which means that the competition is not going to be an inspiring QB either. Like we all feel better about Mason than Pickett because what was put on the field last year, but Mason isn't an inspiring long term option either. He's just a bit better than what we have. I personally want us to take competition out of the question and just get someone better. Mayfield, Cousins, Fields... whatever. There are a few players that are better that I still wouldn't feel great about long term (Minshew, Brissett, Browning, Wilson, etc.) so I'm not saying to bring in better just to have better.... but we need better than Pickett. It's just a gut punch to know that we could be starting Kenny next year because he is the best QB we have on the roster. That would suck so badly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I agree with what you are saying, but Pickett is going to be a part of the competition, unless in a trade scenario, he is a part of the deal. Most likely, at the minimum Pickett or his competition have to improve on the post-Canada Cincy game, and at least match what Rudolph did the last 4 games for the team to have any shot at winning a playoff game.

20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    And should have named Pickett #2 when he was activated after his injury.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He's talking about when Mason was the only Qb on tge team for a short time....at least I believe He is.

22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Id be surprised if Cousins doesn’t re-sign in Minnesota but if he doesn’t and if he checks out medically he would be a good fit for the steelers and would make them a dangerous team. I know he hasn’t ever made a deep playoff run but he has always played on deeply flawed teams in Washington and Minnesota.

I would completely support the move, it would give TJ, Cam and Minkah a window to actually win in the postseason, and just having a capable, professional NFL QB would open up the potential of the skill guys they have on offence.

There seems to be an assumption that Kenny is going to be handed back the job based on the team saying he is still QB1 but I think that they are weary of poor QB play at this stage and a move like Cousins wouldn’t surprise me, albeit I do expect he will stay put in Minnesota

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Mason is as good as everyone You named....except Cousins, Wilson, and maybe Minshew, and wouldn't cost nearly as much. Also maybe better than Wilson, and Cousins if You factor in injuries, age, and price. Some of You are judging a Guy on not even a full season of starts. A Guy that everytime We've seen him play ....looks a bit better.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Mason certainly surprised me when he came in but the sample size is still too small to make any credible determination. What happens when teams get more tape on him and start game planning to expose his weaknesses etc. I know there is already some tape on him but h appears to have improved dramatically since he was the starter in 2019 so that tape is useless in terms of scouting or game planning now.

I hope he is back and would have him over Browning, Minshew and most of the other backup QBs in the league.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Fix the holes that don't include QB, resign Mason and roll with what we have as 1 and 2 QB this year with the pecking order determined in competition during training camp/preseason. Draft another QB as the third from a bit deeper in the draft. Spend this year making the team better as a hole. With a better O line, see how what we have performs and use that to decide where to go from there.

I am not a fan of getting Cousins. He will almost certainly cost much more than Trubisky.

From a fantasy football site, where they have some stat comparisons.......There are 2 QBs with torn achilles tear injuries ever (listed here). Rodgers and Cousins. Neither of them have played since the injury, so there is no data on how it affects a QB. But, there is lots of data on WRs, TEs, RBs that can be used to give an idea on where it will lead. All categories averaged fewer points for the durations listed (https://fantasyinjuryteam.com/achilles-tear-and-repair/#:~:text=The research tells us that,return to their professional careers.).

An older study from the National Library of Medicine on soccer players (more info here than on the NFL) had 203 Achilles injuries. Conclusions: Achilles tendon disorders account for 3.8% of the total lay-off time and are more common in older players. Recurrence is common after Achilles tendinopathies and the reinjury risk is higher after short recovery periods (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23770660/)......lay-off is injured can't play time, tendinopathies is a fancy word for saying you hurt your tendon causing pain, swelling and impaired function (simple definition....lol).

I have no doubt that Cousins will come back and be able to play......but, he won't be at the same level of play (based on historical data) and he will be at a greatly increased risk of reinjury which will probably be career ending.

Stop trying to put down sandbags to keep the dam from leaking. Take our licks and build the team right. If we do that, we might get past 'winning seasons' followed by 1 and done in the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1