1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on undefeated season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel machine, Nov 17, 2020.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The other day I was asked if I wanted my boys to go undefeated in the regular season knowing what happened to the Patriots (loved that) and wasn't sure how I feel about it. The Steelers 16-0 would be great but then all the attention is on us come Playoff time. Not sure how the pressure would affect the players.

I do want the first round bye and we may have to go undefeated to get it but if we somehow have it in the bag I'm sort of hoping we lose a game. IMO it will ease the burden of all the media hype on the players.

I can see it now, we clinch a first round bye and Mason starts the game and lights it up so we go into Playoffs 16-0:)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You can look at what happened to the Patriots, or you can look at what happened to the Dolphins. 50/50.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What happened to the Cheats was karma and has no bearing on the Steelers.

the most important game in going undefeated is the next one. Just go 1-0 in that one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    There's 3 tough games remaining on the schedule... Ravens, Bills and Colts. If Steelers win those 3... that will be highly impressive. Rest of the games, Steelers can win if they don't lay an egg or play turtle ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Very unlikely and perhaps not really a good thing - Like the Tennessee beatdown in '08; it sometimes takes a humbling game to keep the team grounded.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    What's different from this team and most other undefeated teams is that this team isn't dominant. At times, yes. But I can't count the number of times during games that I question how we actually end up with W's.

"Finding ways to win" isn't typically a succesful long term strategy. Being good is usually a better option.

But that just might be our magic pill. Dominant teams, at some point, buy into the hype. It's human nature. We had "better" teams in the past that simply couldn't stay humble. They couldn't handle the pressure of living up to the expectation of greatness.

But this team isn't great. They can hardly put together a complete game. They have to scratch and claw and fight for 60 minutes every week to find a way to win.

And as unconventional as that approach is, and as seemingly impossible to sustain as that is, it just might be the recipe in the trainwreck that is 2020.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Keep the corks on the Fish champagne forever, pop the bubbly for the Black&Gold

• Like Like x 2
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I would take a decade of subpar Steelers if it means us winning the super bowl as a perfect team this year

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I get your sentiment, but no reason to not repeat next year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    But... Dolphins only had to win 14 regular season games as I recall. :shrug:

11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    That's easy to say now. I have said similar things in past years. Last season was a glimpse of what a decade of Steelers subpar football would look like. Ten years of that is a long time.

12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    True

13. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Dolphins been riding that perfect season for 48 years now

14. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    When I was living near Chicago, it took fans about 20 years to remember that they weren't the '85 Bears anymore.

(To be fair, Steelers' fans sometimes act like it is still the 1970's.
    Not always easy to take pride in a deep tradition, and not seem like you are stuck in a time warp.)

• Like Like x 1
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I want to win the Super Bowl. I'd love to go undefeated in the process. I get what the OP is saying though with the distractions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I just want the Super Bowl being undefeated in the playoffs is much more important.

17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Yea but Tomlin would still not have a losing season. That's bona fide success for many teams in the league.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Two things should matter the most to the organization going into the playoffs:

- #1 seed
    - being healthy as possible

in order to achieve the above mentioned 2 things if that means we need to be 16-0 so be it. I really do not see the Chiefs losing another game and I do not want to go to arrowhead for the AFC championship game. Let’s also be honest, once the playoffs start everyone is 0-0 anyways.

I would also say that if Steelers were able to go and win #7 and be undefeated, Big Ben should just ride off into the sunset and enjoy his life because that is a freaking storybook ending right there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    40 years was a long time.

20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

If the Steelers go undefeated and win the Superbowl I will personally kidnap and remind him every day how he wanted to win one more Lombardi than Terry did. I would then release him one day before training camp to his wife and kids in exchange for their box seats as ransom with a conditional no possibility of charges being filed.

21. Dreamman0

Dreamman0 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Unlikely to happen...to paraphrase Coach Tomlin...'Everyday I don't walk pass 6 undefeated seasons, I walk pass 6 Lombardies'

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  22. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I would too but you are a lot younger then me. After awhile that magic glow will wear off and you'll get pissed at constant bad seasons but man would the bragging rights be FANTASTIC. I'd wear the perfect season jersey everyday till I die.

I'm a big Pirate fan and I really want one more WS before I kick. Mission impossible I know but I always tell people I want to live the rest of my life with the Steelers and Penguins switching roles with the Pirates.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Dreamman0

Dreamman0 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Tell me BigBenHotness didn't really say that. She must have been drinking and was emotional. Ill take a SB win any year over any number of 'undfeeated seasons' more than one. Thats kinda a rediculous statement She was obviously excited and compromised. No way she'd choose a decade of 4 win seasons for one undefeated season. NO WAY!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I’m a man lmao

well at least I identify as one... still got that thing dangling between my legs :roflmao:

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Lets get the Jags some payback from years past first with no injuries. Priority 1.
    I would like to be both undefeated and win the SB, why the hell not. Get the OP's message but we are the Steelers for Christs sake. I agree it would be even more difficult to do both but that is the ultimate season and would mean more than just winning the SB (which would be great by itself). Somebody each year wins the SB but how many do it with a perfect record? Time to set a new standard if we can manage it. That's a big IF though. Again, priority 1 still comes first though.