1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on the replacement refs.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 4EvrH8O'donnel, Aug 24, 2012.

1. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Looks like Ole Roger is going to be on board for full time repalcements so he won't have to dip any deeper into his already swollen wallet.

What grade do you give these replacement refs so far?

Should Roger just keep trying grab the K - Mart Blue Light Special Deals or get serious about the officiating? i.e. Full Time refs with no side jobs (Lawyers/bankers/doctors/Housewives).

He's not deviaiting from permanent female refs either. As long as they can fairly call a game I don't really have a problem with that but at some point it will probably invite litigation proceedings. One will most likely be offended by something or another.
    (Maybe Brady could offer up one of the Victoria Secret models)

Thoughts?

2. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'll withhold judgement until after I see the female refs.

3. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    replacement refs are fkn terrible, where does goodell pick them up? local homeless shelter?

never thought i'd want the normal refs back :shrug:

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There is absolutely nothing a referee's job involves that is gender-specific. It's sad that their introduction will inevitably cause overanalysis of their game and unnecessarily long debates. The same thing happened in Association Football over here in the UK when they brought in female linemen. Linewomen. Linepeople. Whatever.

Then again, when they brought in a female commentator for the soccer here, there was a ****storm in the press. A commentator. You know, that person who's sole skill is observing and calling the game, which, again, is hardly gender specific.

5. pennstump

pennstump Member

Nov 20, 2011
    The whole pretense that Goodell has been harping at with the "bounties" and "hard hits" is player safety. I don't see how all these pending litigations of head injuries from players past (let's be real - the only reason any of this has come up for the past 4 seasons) will not eat him alive for "replacement refs." They've already shown that they're not as quick to call hits on QBs, late hits, etc.

The players lawyers will eat the NFL alive simply because these replacement refs don't have as much training as the real ones have had on player safety.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh..... they might hear everyone and delay the season. whisper.. i've been waiting a long, long time for it to start. ;) :cool:

7. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I kind of like the replacement officials.
    It seems like they don't blow their whistles as much.

8. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    As far as female refs go, the main concern I would have is occasioally they get hit/wraped-up in a play and taken out. Not says a female can't take it as well as some of those geezers out there, but I am sure players would really feel terrible knocking out a female ref.

9. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Technically, they should feel pretty terrible about knocking out anyone who isn't padded up to their level. Cameramen, cheerleaders, waterboys etc.

10. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    goodell would like them but in reality they SUCK just like goodell.

11. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It is what it is. So let's move on to something constructive. Live with it.

12. FeelTheSteel

FeelTheSteel Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    THIS!!!!!!

Watching the game tonight, live, at Orchard Park, I was blown away by the lack of calls. The more I thought about it though, we should LOVE this style of officiating. Harrison planting Fitzpatrick in that game here a couple years ago (the Stevie Johnson dropped td in ot game) would have never been called under these circumstances.

We draw WAY too many weak personal foul calls. Refs are WAY too quick to throw pass interference penalties. Launching, horse collars . . . all of that stuff happened tonight and received . . . nothing.

I've gotta be honest, I really prefer these incompetent fools letting the players dictate the outcome of the game. I really feel like Goodell and NFL referees have played WAY too much of a part in determing the flow and outcome of games in recent years.

13. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I worry that this gives an unfair advantage to teams like the raiders, lions, cowboys who by far do the most illegal things during the game

14. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Though according to the rest of the league, we are also on that list...

15. FeelTheSteel

FeelTheSteel Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    My problem is that we typically draw the BS penalties (personal fouls on qb hits by harrison and woodley, ryan clark launching, etc).

Whoever is holding Harrison never gets called so I say "let 'em play!"

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I dont think they are doing a bad job now after 3 preseason games they seem to be calling fouls fairly and unbiased, besides if they can keep Jeff Triplet from officiating thats a good thing....

17. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    In the games that I've watch so far I've notice less wimpy personal foul calls when the QB's get hit/knocked down. The reg refs were calling everything personal, I just hope Pitts gets the same amount of slack when Harrison comes back.

18. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Don't worry, the replacements will get the memo about #92 and #25 and be on the lookout for any contact they make with the other team.

19. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You're right on that one SNACK! I'm sure Goodell already got his grubby little fingers all over these replacement refs and will mold them into whatever kind of ref he wants them to be. Goodell just wants to prove that he doesn't have to put a pension plan in place for the normal refs, and that they are completely replaceable.

20. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012

I hate this notion. Everyone does it. Its such a old time yinzer thing to say, along with, " The commentators talk up (insert other team) and down play the steelers."

I love that we arent talked about. That mean there is no drama, there is nothing to report, nothing to see here move along.
    In the bottom of a pile do you not think james harrison is grabbing, gouging, choking, spitting, eating, whatever his way to get that ball. Gregg Lloyd (insert 70s player to grab yinzer) did it and we love them both for it.

Get real, they all do it, we hide it. But, we know it and we love it.

21. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    People complain about the "regular" refs. I think the replacement refs will be fine once they gain more experience.

22. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My great hope is they WILL start calling some of the holds on Harrison and Woodley since the "other" ones wouldn't.

23. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    What???? Harrison gets held? I thought Harrison was supposed to play with someone from the other team hanging off his jersey, neck, collar...random body part.

24. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The replacement refs add more entertainment to the game, when they really screw up on a call, now I have 2 things to watch, the game itself, and when the replacement refs mess up. That touch back call had to be the best one so far, (in that Buffalo game). The kicked ball was caught at the 4 yard line and the ref calls it a touch back lol

25. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Al Michaels. "J** Gr***, An 8th grade geography teacher our of Idaho to make the call"
    Chris Collinsworth " Boy if that's a push in the back he got him by a fingernail".

Hey Roger..... Do these guys have any high level experience?
    C'mon man. Do you at least pay them enough that they can skip class tomorrow?