1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Pros and Cons from the Denver Game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by pellynch14, Sep 9, 2012.

1. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Much better opening game loss than last year.

2. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Really? Why? Our D got ripped to shreds and we lost. I hate the Ravens as much as the next person, but its still a loss. We should have gone in there with a GIANT chip on our shoulders and Manning should have been picking himself up off the turf repeatedly- didnt happen. I am as frustrated after this loss as I was a year ago. :frustrated:

3. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    how can Peyton Manning outrun Timmons?

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Dude since you mentioned the Ravens I think we might as well go ahead and prepare ourselves for this... The Ravens are gonna kill us. Losing to them is worse than anything there is. I hate Peyton Manning with a passion but losing to the Ravens is just the worst thing that can ever happen.

5. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    Especially at home in our ridiculous throwbacks.... :frustrated:

6. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Pro - The Steelers Defense only had to play a total of 2 plays in the 3rd quarter.

Con - One of them was a 71 yard TD.

ugggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

7. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yup. The offense took a ton of time off the clock and gave the D time to catch their breaths. Something that should not be understated when referring to the high altitude in Denver.

Too bad it made little difference because of that 1 play :facepalm:

8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yup. The offense took a ton of time off the clock and gave the D time to catch their breaths. Something that should not be understated when referring to the high altitude in Denver.

Too bad it made little difference because of that 1 play :facepalm:[/quote:3ctxq6og]
    I told my wife when that drive stalled that we were fixing to just get 3 and give them the ball back and they were gonna score with ease. Lo and behold....

9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Pros: Got to see Manning after a year with a new team

Cons: Had to stay up way later then I wanted to watch a suspect defense and some poor clock management by Ben and company

Bman

10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hey the kickoffs and punting were good!

11. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not a big fan of Ziggy, he just does not do it for me and I do believe we sorely miss A. Big snack was just coming off injury so it will take a few games to get back in game shape (whatever shape that is for him). I do like Mclendon but he had a mediocre game. I never really liked Foote either but he looked great. Timmons in my opinion is mediocre (bigger and yet slower). Its hard to really judge the D when your main pass rushers Woodley and Harrison are rarely on the field at the same time, your heir apparents are often injured or nursing injuries Sylvester (who I like), Worilids (who has NEVER been healthy), Spence (who i did notice had exceptional speed to the ball in pre-season but is now done for the year). I do like Carter but its a very incomplete LB core. Your secondary has C allen and K lewis who I would take right now over Mcfadden and William "Toast" Gay but lets face it it was their first game and there is going to be a learning curve (they will only get better). They would be better if they got push from the front which I believe will happen (Be patient Steeler faithful. On another note Mundy is not very useful, Polamalu CANT cover and both he and Clark are getting old.

Offensively you guys who didnt see progress from last night's game are crazy. Do you realize how long we had the ball for? Those plays will be there and will only look better with Mendy back at the Running back position. Can you guys imaging what we will deploy once BIG Wes Saunders comes back off suspension? Redman looks hurt to me, either way I have to ride Dwyer right now who looked hungry and happy to hit and be hit. Need to see more open space created for Rainey but again its hard when you lose your core which is the case with our O-Line (Might be time for a new strength and conditioning coach or something). My point is that I believe we will be fine. We will put a whipping on the Jets in our home opener and all will be well again (for at least 1 game)

12. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Haha, I was thinking this same thing when it happened.

13. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Pros: Offense showed good control in the 3rd quarter
    Butler had a heck of a nice punt to the 1
    Heath looked great
    Dwyer runs hard....even when there's no holes

Cons: Mike Adams has significant work before he should ever see the field again
    Our OL is banged up after week 1, this can never be a good sign
    We lost
    Defense is trying to put Demaryius Thomas into the HOF
    Al woods shouldn't ever get stuck on the field for a Peyton Manning no-huddle drive ever again
    Worilds looks fat and slow
    Timmons disappeared

14. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    pros: there are still 15 more games left to play

Cons: there are still 15 more game left to play

15. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011

:lolol:

16. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, pretty good list. I would also add that Woodley looked fat and slow as well. Dwyer looked really good and it was REALLY nice to see us finally utilize Miller more than we have in the past. That has been a long time coming IMO.

17. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011

I was stunned when I saw Worilds!! He is huge!!

18. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Are you in a bitter mood over the loss or just out of your mind?

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Redmans hurt, guarantee it and Dwyer looks great, should get the rock next week. I was excited about him when I heard he was working his tail off in the offseason and seemed to get the message finally. Dude can run.

20. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This team is not very good. I'll say 8-8 at best. Hopefully the OL can get better. If so, I think the offense will be above average. As for the defense, that's another story. I know we were missing a couple of starters last night, but they looked old and slow.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Is that you Warren???

22. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Pro: Everything up to the touchdown to Wallace

Con: The failed 2 point conversion and everything that followed

Pro: Passing game has 4 guys who can catch the ball

Con: Passing game once you get past Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Miller

Pro: Running game: Dwyer

Con: Running game: Everyone else (though I give Rainey a pass, need to see more)

Pro: Better play calling

Con: Play execution

Pro: Sacks in first half

Con: No pressure in second half

Pro: Troy making an impact

Con: Troy out of position giving up a 71 yard TD

Pro: My optimism that with Clark and Harrison this D gets a ton better

Con: Without them, this D might be middle of the pack in the NFL

Pro: Fumble recovery

Con: Pick six

Pro: Suisham was perfect

Con: Too many field goals and not enough extra points

Pro: Coaching: Play calling that included a variety of formations, few if any empty backfields on 3rd down

Con: Coaching: Poor decision to go for 2, bad challenge.

Pro: Steelers, historically are better than any other team during my lifetime (since 1974)

Con: Steelers are 0-1

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    In the D-line's defense <---see what I did? It looked like there was some push in the middle but they were getting held once they got by. Several times I saw the NT get through only to be drug down and not carry the momentum to the ball carrier. That's got to be called. You start calling that and you get them to change protection and playcalling. You let them have that and you see the bad holding on the long pass play on no less than 3 defenders who were in position to make a play. Granted Troy admitted he was out of position, but if you call Wallace and Miller for it, you have to make those other calls. I know you'll say you get some and they did get a few spots, but holding changes the whole gameplan. It's the same when JH is in the game. If the OL gets called for it then he has a monster game. If not then he looks like he's being turned into a pretzle every play. To the players credit they didn't go running to the Refs crying about it.

I need to go back and see if they have the all 22 film of it, but I did see several players coming to the position coaches gesturing as if there was some grabing going on. I didn't see the coaches talking to REfs about it as the Harbaughs do incessantly.

That said I would have loved to se a time-out used to get set and change it up when they realized he was shredding them with the no huddle.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    There are no pros from this game offense settled for fgs and defense couldn't stop a 36 yr old qb who had 4 neck surgeries and hasn't played in 20 months. O-line still can't block secondary still can't cover.

25. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree, I thought Manning played like crap. :facepalm: